Cannot receive E-mails - Help

This is a discussion on Cannot receive E-mails - Help ; Hi Dave/Joe, It would seem, after numerous checks the problem is with th format required by karoo for e-mails. The format required by Karoo i "username@username.karoo.co.uk" I have tried other Linux operating systems and get more or less th same ...

  1. Cannot receive E-mails

    Hi Dave/Joe,
    It would seem, after numerous checks the problem is with th
    format required by karoo for e-mails. The format required by Karoo i
    "username@username.karoo.co.uk"
    I have tried other Linux operating systems and get more or less th
    same results, some giving the response that it cannot acces
    "username@karoo.co.uk" which seems to me, to be in the wrong format. O
    am I talking out of the wrong orifice-again?
    Thanks again for your help, Sta

    --
    Stan Graves

  2. Re: Cannot receive E-mails

    On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:32:40 +0100, Stan Graves
    wrote:

    >Hi Dave/Joe,
    >It would seem, after numerous checks the problem is with the
    >format required by karoo for e-mails. The format required by Karoo is
    >"username@username.karoo.co.uk"
    >I have tried other Linux operating systems and get more or less the
    >same results, some giving the response that it cannot access
    >"username@karoo.co.uk" which seems to me, to be in the wrong format. Or
    >am I talking out of the wrong orifice-again?
    >Thanks again for your help, Stan

    That's quite possible, and in many cases reasonable. When I first
    started doing tech support for EarthLink, you'd use your username only
    to log onto the POP3 server. After we aquired several other mom'n pop
    ISPs, we changed the format to username@domain.com because we'd have
    customers with exactly the same username, but at a different domain.
    (We kept all the legacy domains for convenience, and to avoid username
    clashes.) If karoo.co.uk is only one of several ISPs owned/run by the
    same people they're probably requiring the domain for exactly the same
    reason. Remember, mail.karoo.co.uk can point to the same swerver as
    mail.foo.co.uk and mail.bar.co.uk.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns