Cannot receive E-mails - Help

This is a discussion on Cannot receive E-mails - Help ; I am a octogenerian newbie to Linux using UBUNTU 6+. My system, 0.75Mb memory, 80Gb hard drive for Xp, 10Gb hard driv for Linux. My problem is receiving E-mails using Evolution Mail. I can acces the Internet Ok with Firefox ...

  1. Cannot receive E-mails

    I am a octogenerian newbie to Linux using UBUNTU 6+.
    My system, 0.75Mb memory, 80Gb hard drive for Xp, 10Gb hard driv
    for Linux.
    My problem is receiving E-mails using Evolution Mail. I can acces
    the Internet Ok with Firefox and can send E-mail to myself (picked u
    by Xp) but cannot receive one with Linux.
    When trying to access my ISP with Evolution Mail I get messag
    back :
    " ERR Unknown command "pass""
    My ISP is Karoo - Kingston Communications Phone Co. in HULL.
    Got a feeling this may be my problem.
    Maybe a local user could help

    --
    Stan Graves

  2. Re: Cannot receive E-mails

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:49:05 +0100, Stan Graves wrote:

    > I am a octogenerian newbie to Linux using UBUNTU 6+. My system, 0.75Mb
    > memory, 80Gb hard drive for Xp, 10Gb hard drive for Linux.
    > My problem is receiving E-mails using Evolution Mail. I can access the
    > Internet Ok with Firefox and can send E-mail to myself (picked up by Xp)
    > but cannot receive one with Linux. When trying to access my ISP with
    > Evolution Mail I get message back :
    > " ERR Unknown command "pass""
    > My ISP is Karoo - Kingston Communications Phone Co. in HULL. Got a
    > feeling this may be my problem. Maybe a local user could help?

    Greetings Stan,

    Have you double-checked your settings which set forth the protocol for
    connection? Meaning, make sure the eyes are dotted and the proper boxes
    are ticked.

    The message "ERR Unknown command pass" is an error message sent back to
    you by your connection program when attempting to make a connection to
    your ISP.

    So, the "ERR" message is tell you that the command "pass" (which is sent
    by your system)is not recognized by your ISP's log-in script.

    I'll break it down for you:

    When you attempt to authenticate, after the actual hand shaking has
    occurred, the ISP send a series of recognition signals -- Or two Masons
    meeting for the first time.

    So, the ISP send a request to your system for you to send back the pass
    word ("Greetings Stranger, give me The Word.")

    Your system responds with the password "(The Word is .........") for
    access to the ISP's mail system and the ISP lets you enter ("Greetings,
    Brother, Enter and may you find the Light").

    So, if your system is sending some kind of special or unusual challenge,
    the standard verbiage used by your system may conflict with the protocol
    used by the ISP. Thus, you receive the "ERR" message.

    It looks to me like after the ISP sends the initial sign-on information
    back to your computer, your system is sending the command "PASS", which
    means that your password is the next series of characters to be sent and
    telling the ISP to be ready to receive the password.

    Evidently the ISP wants a command other than "PASS" to be sent. You must
    examine the log-on log to see what has happened, but you may be able to
    simply call your ISP and tell them the error message. I am sure they have
    seen it many times before and can tell you how to fix things.

    Dave

  3. Re: Cannot receive E-mails

    On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 08:05:29 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann
    wrote:

    >Evidently the ISP wants a command other than "PASS" to be sent. You must
    >examine the log-on log to see what has happened, but you may be able to
    >simply call your ISP and tell them the error message. I am sure they have
    >seen it many times before and can tell you how to fix things.

    One thing you can try first: telnet to the mailserver by typing in

    telnet servername 110

    at a command prompt. Replace servername with the name of your mail
    server. The 110 is important, as it tells telnet to connect to that
    port, the standard port for POP3. When you get connected type

    USER yourlogonusername.

    It will respond with OK, possibly some other stuff. Normally, you'd
    type

    PASS yourpassword

    That's what your email program is doing, and getting that error. It's
    possible that something after the first command will tell you what's
    wrong.

    If you need secure authentication, you'll just get a message to that
    effect. You need a different port for that, and the info is
    encrypted, making telnet less than useful for it. Still, trying at
    port 110 is worth a shot, to see what happens...

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

+ Reply to Thread