Wireless Network Hoses Wired Network - Help

This is a discussion on Wireless Network Hoses Wired Network - Help ; Here is a weird one. Anytime the laptop comes up on the network, everyone else loses their connection. Linksys Etherfast Cable Modem Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router Linksys Broadband Wireless Router The Cable Router is 192.168.1.1 Cat 5 connected PC's are: ...

  1. Wireless Network Hoses Wired Network

    Here is a weird one. Anytime the laptop comes up on the network, everyone
    else loses their connection.

    Linksys Etherfast Cable Modem

    Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router

    Linksys Broadband Wireless Router

    The Cable Router is 192.168.1.1

    Cat 5 connected PC's are:

    ... 100, 101, 102, Windows XP

    ... 108 Linux

    ... 103 Windows XP Dell Laptop

    Each time I cycle the Cable/DSL Router in order to force the system to
    re-recognize each machine, the IP addresses change. One time the Linux
    box will be 109 and another time it will be 101 -- same thing for the
    Windows machines.

    Is this a problem with static versus temporary ip numbers?

    Any further information you need to help me, tell me what you need and I
    will post it.

    Cheers,

    Dave

  2. Re: Wireless Network Hoses Wired Network

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > Here is a weird one. Anytime the laptop comes up on the network, everyone
    > else loses their connection.
    >
    > Linksys Etherfast Cable Modem
    >
    > Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router
    >
    > Linksys Broadband Wireless Router
    >
    > The Cable Router is 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Cat 5 connected PC's are:
    >
    > .. 100, 101, 102, Windows XP
    >
    > .. 108 Linux
    >
    > .. 103 Windows XP Dell Laptop
    >
    > Each time I cycle the Cable/DSL Router in order to force the system to
    > re-recognize each machine, the IP addresses change. One time the Linux
    > box will be 109 and another time it will be 101 -- same thing for the
    > Windows machines.
    >
    > Is this a problem with static versus temporary ip numbers?

    Static IP's sounds a good idea......... it is the only (easy) way to make
    sure which system has which IP address. And yes you still can offer DHCP
    shares to visitors.

    Start with the Linksys Cable/DSL router, the address 192.168.1.1 is OK,
    assign static (wired) IP address's of say 192.168.1.100 to .149 to the
    systems. This router can offer DHCP shares to visitors both wired and
    wireless.

    Next set the Wireless router as something like 192.168.1.10 and using a
    crossover cable set the gateway (WLAN side) to the IP address of the
    Cable/DSL router. Assign static wireless address's in the range of say
    192.168.1.150 to .200

    No it is not a problem of static versus temporary it's more of a problem of
    the systems working out which IP address go where (it's election time!!!).
    Each system will negotiate the IP address desired and all will decide which
    system gets which IP address each time. Sometimes they could be the same
    and sometimes not. One system may get the same IP address 9 out of 10 times
    or not, it is just a matter of chance.

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: Wireless Network Hoses Wired Network

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > Here is a weird one. Anytime the laptop comes up on the network, everyone
    > else loses their connection.
    >
    > Linksys Etherfast Cable Modem
    >
    > Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router
    >
    > Linksys Broadband Wireless Router
    >
    > The Cable Router is 192.168.1.1
    >
    > Cat 5 connected PC's are:
    >
    > .. 100, 101, 102, Windows XP
    >
    > .. 108 Linux
    >
    > .. 103 Windows XP Dell Laptop
    >
    > Each time I cycle the Cable/DSL Router in order to force the system to
    > re-recognize each machine, the IP addresses change. One time the Linux
    > box will be 109 and another time it will be 101 -- same thing for the
    > Windows machines.
    >
    > Is this a problem with static versus temporary ip numbers?
    >
    > Any further information you need to help me, tell me what you need and I
    > will post it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Dave

    DHCP will result in different IP addresses at least some of the time.
    Unless this is a problem for you, I see no reason to change to static.
    And I see no reason why that would cause the problem you mentioned.
    The problem sounds more like both of your routers are trying to pass
    out IP addresses. Do you have DHCP turned off on the wireless router?

    Good luck, jimbo

  4. Re: Wireless Network Hoses Wired Network

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 07:40:38 -0600, jimbo wrote:

    > CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >> Here is a weird one. Anytime the laptop comes up on the network, everyone
    >> else loses their connection.
    >>
    >> Linksys Etherfast Cable Modem
    >>
    >> Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL Router
    >>
    >> Linksys Broadband Wireless Router
    >>
    >> The Cable Router is 192.168.1.1
    >>
    >> Cat 5 connected PC's are:
    >>
    >> .. 100, 101, 102, Windows XP
    >>
    >> .. 108 Linux
    >>
    >> .. 103 Windows XP Dell Laptop
    >>
    >> Each time I cycle the Cable/DSL Router in order to force the system to
    >> re-recognize each machine, the IP addresses change. One time the Linux
    >> box will be 109 and another time it will be 101 -- same thing for the
    >> Windows machines.
    >>
    >> Is this a problem with static versus temporary ip numbers?
    >>
    >> Any further information you need to help me, tell me what you need and I
    >> will post it.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>

    > DHCP will result in different IP addresses at least some of the time.
    > Unless this is a problem for you, I see no reason to change to static.
    > And I see no reason why that would cause the problem you mentioned.
    > The problem sounds more like both of your routers are trying to pass
    > out IP addresses. Do you have DHCP turned off on the wireless router?
    >
    > Good luck, jimbo

    Yes, I do. I am thinking I should go with static on 2 of the 5 machines.
    Those two have some communications software (Echolink) which needs to pass
    on 5198 and 5199, but with changing IP's I am always going to the router
    to change, for example, 192.168.1.104 one time and then after refresh,
    192.168.1.110 ... I'm sure you get the picture.

    Cheer,s
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread