newbie stupid question - Help

This is a discussion on newbie stupid question - Help ; hi all. just got a new pc with a strange linux distro installed (lixwin or something like that). I want to replace it with another distribution. how much trouble will i get into? Can I just simply install the new ...

  1. newbie stupid question

    hi all.

    just got a new pc with a strange linux distro installed (lixwin or
    something like that). I want to replace it with another distribution.
    how much trouble will i get into? Can I just simply install the new
    distribution as if I were installing it (and overriding) a windows
    install?

  2. Re: newbie stupid question

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:50:25 -0500, wrote:

    > hi all.
    >
    > just got a new pc with a strange linux distro installed (lixwin or
    > something like that). I want to replace it with another distribution.
    > how much trouble will i get into? Can I just simply install the new
    > distribution as if I were installing it (and overriding) a windows
    > install?

    No question is stupid .... that's how we learn.

    Anyway, if you are not happy with the distribution, for whatever reason,
    you can get a CD or DVD of the distrobution you want and just install over
    everything. This assumes you have no data you wish to save.

    When you put the "new" distro in the CDROM and boot from it, you will be
    given the opportunity for an automatic installation over everything
    existing. Do that and you are on your way.

    HTH
    Dave

  3. Re: newbie stupid question

    Thanks Dave. That's what I'm goign to do.

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 09:06:28 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:50:25 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >> hi all.
    >>
    >> just got a new pc with a strange linux distro installed (lixwin or
    >> something like that). I want to replace it with another distribution.
    >> how much trouble will i get into? Can I just simply install the new
    >> distribution as if I were installing it (and overriding) a windows
    >> install?

    >No question is stupid .... that's how we learn.
    >
    >Anyway, if you are not happy with the distribution, for whatever reason,
    >you can get a CD or DVD of the distrobution you want and just install over
    >everything. This assumes you have no data you wish to save.
    >
    >When you put the "new" distro in the CDROM and boot from it, you will be
    >given the opportunity for an automatic installation over everything
    >existing. Do that and you are on your way.
    >
    >HTH
    >Dave

  4. Re: newbie stupid question

    On 08/07/2006 09:06 AM, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:50:25 -0500, wrote:
    >
    >> hi all.
    >>
    >> just got a new pc with a strange linux distro installed (lixwin or
    >> something like that). I want to replace it with another distribution.
    >> how much trouble will i get into? Can I just simply install the new
    >> distribution as if I were installing it (and overriding) a windows
    >> install?

    > No question is stupid .... that's how we learn.
    >
    > Anyway, if you are not happy with the distribution, for whatever reason,
    > you can get a CD or DVD of the distrobution you want and just install over
    > everything. This assumes you have no data you wish to save.
    >
    > When you put the "new" distro in the CDROM and boot from it, you will be
    > given the opportunity for an automatic installation over everything
    > existing. Do that and you are on your way.
    >
    > HTH
    > Dave

    Also, Guy, save /etc to cdrom before you blow away the
    partition. Some of the data there may help you considerably in
    getting the new system up and running.

    Select a proper Linux distribution (http://www.debian.org/
    :-)) and find out if it supports your hardware. Download and
    burn to cdrom any drivers that you'll need for things like the
    modem, network card, and X windows.

    Good luck.

  5. Re: newbie stupid question

    On Mon, 07 Aug 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , the guy upstairs wrote:

    >just got a new pc with a strange linux distro installed (lixwin or
    >something like that).

    There are well over 300 different Linux distributions. Can't say that I've
    ever heard of 'lixwin', but what-ever

    >I want to replace it with another distribution. how much trouble will
    >i get into?

    Don't know your skill level, so it's not easy to say. What I _would_
    suggest is gathering details about the existing installation. What
    partitions is it using? What network, video, (etc.) drivers is it using.
    What configurations?

    >Can I just simply install the new distribution as if I were installing it
    >(and overriding) a windows install?

    Most likely, but to some extent it depends on what's on there now, and
    what you are planning to install. Have you looked through the HOWTOs?
    These come to mind:

    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 39240 May 3 2001 Install-Strategies
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 68456 Jul 8 2002 Installation-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 18850 Mar 13 2000 MultiOS-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 81726 Oct 14 2002 Network-Install-HOWTO
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 68659 Jan 4 2006 Partition
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 22488 Dec 4 2000 Pre-Installation-Checklist
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 24960 May 28 2002 Update
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 gferg ldp 19504 Mar 10 2002 Upgrade
    Only one relatively new - the rest should be on your older install, or you
    can get them from any LDP server or mirror, such as

    http://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/docs/HOWTO/
    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html

    You'd probably also have better luck with further questions by posting to a
    real newsgroup. 'comp.os.linux.help' was renamed in late 1994, and is only
    carried on poorly administered servers like this. Your post is much more on
    topic in the group 'comp.os.linux.setup'.

    Old guy

  6. Re: newbie stupid question

    "the guy upstairs" <.> wrote in message
    > Thanks Dave. That's what I'm goign to do.
    >
    > On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 09:06:28 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 08:50:25 -0500, wrote:
    > >
    > >> hi all.
    > >>
    > >> just got a new pc with a strange linux distro installed (lixwin or
    > >> something like that). I want to replace it with another distribution.
    > >> how much trouble will i get into? Can I just simply install the new
    > >> distribution as if I were installing it (and overriding) a windows
    > >> install?

    > >No question is stupid .... that's how we learn.
    > >
    > >Anyway, if you are not happy with the distribution, for whatever reason,
    > >you can get a CD or DVD of the distrobution you want and just install

    over
    > >everything. This assumes you have no data you wish to save.
    > >
    > >When you put the "new" distro in the CDROM and boot from it, you will be
    > >given the opportunity for an automatic installation over everything
    > >existing. Do that and you are on your way.
    > >
    > >HTH
    > >Dave

    You might want to ask how it affects your warantee?

    later.....

+ Reply to Thread