Problem mounting DVD - Help

This is a discussion on Problem mounting DVD - Help ; Hi, I've a problem mounting a DVD. Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD drive (Pioneer 109) booted ...

  1. Problem mounting DVD

    Hi,

    I've a problem mounting a DVD.

    Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
    the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD drive
    (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no problems, it
    worked fine and the files were all accessible in '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried
    booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's with the system BIOS. Oops.
    So then I tried booting from a Linux boot floppy disk - the kind to allow
    you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not much more. This allowed me to mount
    the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but then told me 'no medium is present' in the
    drive --when the same DVD was in the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on
    my hard disk, and now when I try to mount the drive using the same command
    as before it now tells me again that 'no medium is present' in the drive,
    when before it worked fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on
    another PC) all get the 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.

    Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.

    Many thanks.

  2. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    MS wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've a problem mounting a DVD.
    >
    > Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
    > the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD
    > drive (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no
    > problems, it worked fine and the files were all accessible in
    > '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's
    > with the system BIOS. Oops. So then I tried booting from a Linux boot
    > floppy disk - the kind to allow you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not
    > much more. This allowed me to mount the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but then
    > told me 'no medium is present' in the drive --when the same DVD was in
    > the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on my hard disk, and now when I try
    > to mount the drive using the same command as before it now tells me
    > again that 'no medium is present' in the drive, when before it worked
    > fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on another PC) all get the
    > 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.
    >
    > Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    MS,

    RH has no filesystem type compatible with DVD filesystem.

    You need to make boot CD which image is put in the /image directory of
    your FC5 install DVD.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  3. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra emailed this:
    > MS wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've a problem mounting a DVD.
    >>
    >> Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've
    >> burned the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for
    >> a DVD drive (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd'
    >> no problems, it worked fine and the files were all accessible in
    >> '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's
    >> with the system BIOS. Oops. So then I tried booting from a Linux boot
    >> floppy disk - the kind to allow you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not
    >> much more. This allowed me to mount the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but
    >> then told me 'no medium is present' in the drive --when the same DVD
    >> was in the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on my hard disk, and now
    >> when I try to mount the drive using the same command as before it now
    >> tells me again that 'no medium is present' in the drive, when before
    >> it worked fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on another PC)
    >> all get the 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.
    >>
    >> Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.
    >>
    >> Many thanks.

    > MS,
    >

    > RH has no filesystem type compatible with DVD filesystem.
    >
    > You need to make boot CD which image is put in the /image directory of
    > your FC5 install DVD.

    Thanks Jan. If RH has 'no filesystem type compatible with DVD filesystem'
    how come I was (initially) able to mount the DVD and access the files on
    it using RH 7.2 before things went wrong after trying to boot from it, etc.??

    Thanks and regards,

    MS

  4. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    MS wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've a problem mounting a DVD.
    >
    > Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
    > the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD drive
    > (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no problems, it
    > worked fine and the files were all accessible in '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried
    > booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's with the system BIOS. Oops.
    > So then I tried booting from a Linux boot floppy disk - the kind to allow
    > you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not much more. This allowed me to mount
    > the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but then told me 'no medium is present' in the
    > drive --when the same DVD was in the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on
    > my hard disk, and now when I try to mount the drive using the same command
    > as before it now tells me again that 'no medium is present' in the drive,
    > when before it worked fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on
    > another PC) all get the 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.
    >
    > Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.

    Did perhaps RHL7.2 remove your /dev/dvd device???? It really is not needed
    anyway try mounting using the cdrom mountpoint; mount /mnt/cdrom

    The main problem is booting the DVD media, try this floppy instead;

    http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  5. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    "MS" wrote in message
    news:wELwg.106058$wl.84745@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've a problem mounting a DVD.

    [ problems skipped ]

    With all the grief you're going through, wouldn't it be easier to do your
    installation with FC5 CD's for now?

  6. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    MS wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I've a problem mounting a DVD.
    >
    > Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
    > the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD drive
    > (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no problems, it
    > worked fine and the files were all accessible in '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried
    > booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's with the system BIOS. Oops.
    > So then I tried booting from a Linux boot floppy disk - the kind to allow
    > you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not much more. This allowed me to mount
    > the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but then told me 'no medium is present' in the
    > drive --when the same DVD was in the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on
    > my hard disk, and now when I try to mount the drive using the same command
    > as before it now tells me again that 'no medium is present' in the drive,
    > when before it worked fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on
    > another PC) all get the 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.
    >
    > Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    This sounds like it might be the isolinux problem and bios limitation on that
    machine. I used a tool called Smart Boot Manager myself, but I just saw this
    suggested in another redhat group:
    http://amdg.no-ip.org/slackware/slac...inux/sbootmgr/
    My own 7.2 install CD will boot, but the FC5 and many others will not on my old
    machine.

    HTH
    Bob

  7. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    Nico Kadel-Garcia emailed this:
    > "MS" wrote in message
    > news:wELwg.106058$wl.84745@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've a problem mounting a DVD.

    > [ problems skipped ]
    >
    > With all the grief you're going through, wouldn't it be easier to do your
    > installation with FC5 CD's for now?

    Thanks Nico. I had assumed my booting-from-the-FC5-DVD problem was that I
    couldn't boot from the DVD drive. Do you think the FC5 CDs will boot from
    my DVD drive?

    Cheers.

  8. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    Robert Heiling emailed this:
    > MS wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've a problem mounting a DVD.
    >>
    >> Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
    >> the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD drive
    >> (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no problems, it
    >> worked fine and the files were all accessible in '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried
    >> booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's with the system BIOS. Oops.
    >> So then I tried booting from a Linux boot floppy disk - the kind to allow
    >> you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not much more. This allowed me to mount
    >> the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but then told me 'no medium is present' in the
    >> drive --when the same DVD was in the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on
    >> my hard disk, and now when I try to mount the drive using the same command
    >> as before it now tells me again that 'no medium is present' in the drive,
    >> when before it worked fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on
    >> another PC) all get the 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.
    >>
    >> Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.
    >>
    >> Many thanks.

    > This sounds like it might be the isolinux problem and bios limitation on that
    > machine. I used a tool called Smart Boot Manager myself, but I just saw this
    > suggested in another redhat group:
    > http://amdg.no-ip.org/slackware/slac...inux/sbootmgr/
    > My own 7.2 install CD will boot, but the FC5 and many others will not on my old
    > machine.
    >
    > HTH
    > Bob

    Thanks Bob. I tried SMB but it did not work, as detailed in my reply to
    Douglas.

    Cheers.

  9. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    Lenard emailed this:
    > MS wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've a problem mounting a DVD.
    >>
    >> Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
    >> the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD drive
    >> (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no problems, it
    >> worked fine and the files were all accessible in '/mnt/dvd'. So I tried
    >> booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's with the system BIOS. Oops.
    >> So then I tried booting from a Linux boot floppy disk - the kind to allow
    >> you to use 'parted', 'mount', and not much more. This allowed me to mount
    >> the DVD drive from /dev/hdc but then told me 'no medium is present' in the
    >> drive --when the same DVD was in the drive. So I rebooted into RH 7.2 on
    >> my hard disk, and now when I try to mount the drive using the same command
    >> as before it now tells me again that 'no medium is present' in the drive,
    >> when before it worked fine. Several DVDs (that I've verified work on
    >> another PC) all get the 'no medium is present' message from 'mount'.
    >>
    >> Please advise what the problem may be and how to resolve it.

    Thanks Lenard.

    > Did perhaps RHL7.2 remove your /dev/dvd device???? It really is not needed
    > anyway try mounting using the cdrom mountpoint; mount /mnt/cdrom

    No the device is there. Mounting to /mnt/cdrom has the same effect as before.

    > The main problem is booting the DVD media, try this floppy instead;
    >
    > http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

    Already tried it and a no go. :-( Detailed already in my reply to Douglas.

    Cheers.

    PS. Apologies to 'linux.redhat.misc' for the duplicated post, I forgot to
    reply to all 3 groups.

  10. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    MS wrote:
    > Hi,

    > I've a problem mounting a DVD.

    > Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've burned
    > the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC for a DVD
    > drive (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc /mnt/dvd' no
    > problems, it worked fine and the files were all accessible in
    > '/mnt/dvd'.

    And you then retyped that after rebooting? You added it to /etc/fstab?

    > So I tried booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's
    > with the system BIOS.

    Why not? If it boots from a CD it can boot from DVD as far as I know. I've done
    it.

    --
    When western nations renounce the right to resistance to foreign occupation
    they can honestly demand Palestinians do so.

  11. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    Matt Giwer wrote:
    > MS wrote:
    >> Hi,

    >> I've a problem mounting a DVD.

    >> Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've
    >> burned the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC
    >> for a DVD drive (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc
    >> /mnt/dvd' no problems, it worked fine and the files were all
    >> accessible in '/mnt/dvd'.

    > And you then retyped that after rebooting? You added it to /etc/fstab?
    >
    >> So I tried booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's
    >> with the system BIOS.

    > Why not? If it boots from a CD it can boot from DVD as far as I know.
    > I've done it.

    I've had numerous such failures: "a DVD" can mean so many differences in
    DVD+ or DVD-, double-density, cheap disks sold as better quality, subtle
    differences in DVD drives, and the drivers to support them, that they're
    nowhere near as stable or reliable as CD drives. We're in the position we
    were years ago with CD's, where they've become cheap enough to include on
    new systems by default but where a lot of fly-by-night operators are making
    some ghods-awful devices that no ones worked out the drivers for well enough
    to boot with them.

    This'll change over time, but for now, I find CD booting to be much more
    reliable.

  12. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Matt Giwer wrote:
    >
    >>MS wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi,

    >>>I've a problem mounting a DVD.

    >>>Basically I'm upgrading from RedHat 7.2 to Fedora Core 5 and I've
    >>>burned the FC5 install DVD. I swapped the CD drive in my Linux PC
    >>>for a DVD drive (Pioneer 109) booted and typed 'mount /dev/hdc
    >>>/mnt/dvd' no problems, it worked fine and the files were all
    >>>accessible in '/mnt/dvd'.

    >>And you then retyped that after rebooting? You added it to /etc/fstab?
    >>

    >>>So I tried booting from the DVD... can't boot from DVD's
    >>>with the system BIOS.

    >>Why not? If it boots from a CD it can boot from DVD as far as I know.
    >>I've done it.

    > I've had numerous such failures: "a DVD" can mean so many differences in
    > DVD+ or DVD-, double-density, cheap disks sold as better quality, subtle
    > differences in DVD drives, and the drivers to support them, that they're
    > nowhere near as stable or reliable as CD drives. We're in the position we
    > were years ago with CD's, where they've become cheap enough to include on
    > new systems by default but where a lot of fly-by-night operators are making
    > some ghods-awful devices that no ones worked out the drivers for well enough
    > to boot with them.
    >
    > This'll change over time, but for now, I find CD booting to be much more
    > reliable.

    Not arguing but I did it on a nothing special emachine with a DVD drive that
    got those very poor reviews. The format is backwards compatible with CDs.

    But as I read what he wrote he did not try it. Rather he noted no BIOS option
    for DVD rather than CD and went on to something else.

    --
    America will murder as many Iraqis as required to liberate Iraq from Iraqis.
    -- The Iron Webmaster, 3651

  13. Re: Problem mounting DVD

    Nico Kadel-Garcia emailed this:
    > MS wrote:
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia emailed this:
    >>> "MS" wrote in message
    >>> news:wELwg.106058$wl.84745@text.news.blueyonder.co .uk...

    >>> [ problems skipped ]
    >>>
    >>> With all the grief you're going through, wouldn't it be easier to do
    >>> your installation with FC5 CD's for now?

    >> Thanks Nico. I had assumed my booting-from-the-FC5-DVD problem was
    >> that I couldn't boot from the DVD drive. Do you think the FC5 CDs
    >> will boot from my DVD drive?

    > It's a working guess: burning and booting from DVD's has been... awkward,
    > due to fascinating issues with the format of DVD's, whether DVD+ or DVD-,
    > what the particular burner and reader are similar enough, etc. It's as bad
    > as booting CD's used to be years ago: CD's have gotten much more reliable
    > about it.

    Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread