Can't install network card - Help

This is a discussion on Can't install network card - Help ; I am running Red Hat 6.2 kernel ver. 2.2.x. I am triing to install a D_LINK DFE 530TX+ PCI 10/100. I compiled the driver that came with the card (rhinefet.o) but it would not compile. D-Link recomended rtl8139.o but when ...

  1. Can't install network card

    I am running Red Hat 6.2 kernel ver. 2.2.x. I am triing to install a D_LINK
    DFE 530TX+ PCI 10/100. I compiled the driver that came with the card
    (rhinefet.o) but it would not compile. D-Link recomended rtl8139.o but when
    I attempted an 'insmod' I got the response "driver or resource busy". I then
    tried another recommended driver via-rhine.o and got the same response from
    an 'insmod'. If you can shed any light- please do.

  2. Re: Can't install network card

    On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , sed wrote:

    [A clue - this newsgroup was replaced in 1994 with comp.os.linux.misc,
    though you'd be more on topic in comp.os.linux.networking.]

    >I am running Red Hat 6.2 kernel ver. 2.2.x.

    Which 2.2.x kernel? RH6.2 came out in March 2000 with a 2.2.14 kernel, and
    that was errata'ed seven times, ending up with 2.2.24-6.2-3 in March 2003
    about 2 weeks before the release was declared obsolete.

    >I am triing to install a D_LINK DFE 530TX+ PCI 10/100. I compiled the
    >driver that came with the card (rhinefet.o) but it would not compile.

    You compiled it, but it wouldn't compile... OK In your posting to
    comp.dcom.lans.ethernet, you say it gave "screens full of errors after doing
    a make", which might be interpreted as you not installing the required
    kernel-source rpm (example kernel-source-2.2.24-6.2.3.i386.rpm) and/or the
    development libraries needed to compile (one example of several that may be
    required - glibc-devel-2.1.3-29.i386.rpm).

    >D-Link recomended rtl8139.o but when I attempted an 'insmod' I got the
    >response "driver or resource busy". I then tried another recommended driver
    >via-rhine.o and got the same response from an 'insmod'.

    My notes from that era say that the via-rhine was _not_ the correct driver,
    and depending on the age of your kernel, the rtl8139 was the correct on.
    You were using the right syntax I hope (the module name does not include the
    ..o suffix). You might have some luck hitting google, and searching in the
    comp.os.linux.networking newsgroup for the 'DFE530TX+' as one word, and the
    plus symbol _is_ important, as there was an older DFE530TX card that used
    the 'via-rhine' driver - the two are not interchangeable. Look for posts by
    Donald Becker who was the author of many of the drivers, including this one.
    I haven't seen him post in the past two years or so, but your kernel is so
    old it's probably covered by those posts.

    >If you can shed any light- please do.

    Set an alias in /etc/conf.modules (2.2.x kernels, though later kernels used
    the etc/modules.conf file) with the syntax

    alias eth0 rtl8139

    and see if the kernel finds the card at boot time. By that I mean looking
    at the boot messages in /var/log/messages. You can also google for
    diag-ether-2.3.tgz (or possibly later) and/or rtl8139-diag.c which are the
    diagnostic tools that Becker created. They _were_ at scyld.com in late 2002.

    Is there a specific reason you are using such an ancient distribution? 6.2
    has been obsolete and unsupported for over three years now.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread