bypass grub? - Help

This is a discussion on bypass grub? - Help ; Here's the problem: I was recently given a Toshiba Tecra 740CDT with 32 mb Ram. I've 'played' with Linux extensively and after running the live Knoppix CD on my main PC was sold on the idea. The laptop has several ...

  1. bypass grub?

    Here's the problem: I was recently given a Toshiba Tecra 740CDT with 32 mb
    Ram. I've 'played'
    with Linux extensively and after running the live Knoppix CD on my main PC
    was sold on the idea.
    The laptop has several limitations, none of which I feel warrants upgrading
    a 10 year old machine.
    Unfortunately Knoppix is a bit too demanding memory wise to run on this
    machine. I did a survey
    of live distributions for older laptops and decided on DSL.
    The initial boot went well and though not nearly as inclusive as the Knoppix
    CD, I was satisfied
    with the package and decided to install it on the hard drive. I was in the
    process of finding network card drivers and finding a bios flash when it
    decided to boot no more....
    grub Error 17.
    This poses a more complex problem for this particular machine. The bios
    does not currently offer an option to boot from CD. There was a buggy copy
    of win98 on the machine which allowed me to at least copy smart boot manager
    from a CD onto the drive. That enabled the Live CD boot. Then
    grub took over and seized up on me.
    I've scoured the web and consulted a few on irc but aside from ripping the
    drive out and formatting it (or replacing it) no one has been able to come
    up with a workaround. You'd think
    there would be a key or something to interrupt or bypass grub but it remains
    a mystery, at least to me.
    I appreciate your time and brainpower and regret that I couldn't be more
    concise with my story
    HELP!!!!

    thanks again.
    s perrin

  2. Re: bypass grub?

    Nevarre wrote:
    > Here's the problem: I was recently given a Toshiba Tecra 740CDT with 32 mb
    > Ram. I've 'played'
    > with Linux extensively and after running the live Knoppix CD on my main PC
    > was sold on the idea.
    > The laptop has several limitations, none of which I feel warrants upgrading
    > a 10 year old machine.
    > Unfortunately Knoppix is a bit too demanding memory wise to run on this
    > machine. I did a survey
    > of live distributions for older laptops and decided on DSL.
    > The initial boot went well and though not nearly as inclusive as the Knoppix
    > CD, I was satisfied
    > with the package and decided to install it on the hard drive. I was in the
    > process of finding network card drivers and finding a bios flash when it
    > decided to boot no more....
    > grub Error 17.
    > This poses a more complex problem for this particular machine. The bios
    > does not currently offer an option to boot from CD. There was a buggy copy
    > of win98 on the machine which allowed me to at least copy smart boot manager
    > from a CD onto the drive. That enabled the Live CD boot. Then
    > grub took over and seized up on me.
    > I've scoured the web and consulted a few on irc but aside from ripping the
    > drive out and formatting it (or replacing it) no one has been able to come
    > up with a workaround. You'd think
    > there would be a key or something to interrupt or bypass grub but it remains
    > a mystery, at least to me.
    > I appreciate your time and brainpower and regret that I couldn't be more
    > concise with my story
    > HELP!!!!
    >
    > thanks again.
    > s perrin

    I had a similar problem with a laptop that neither the floppy nor the
    cdrom worked. Since taking out the harddrive was rather easy, I
    purchased an adapter to connect it to a standard IDE cable. But if you
    have a built-in floopy drive, or a usb floppy drive that's recognized by
    the BIOS and bootable, I'd get an MSDOS bootable floppy, with the bare
    minimum to boot, and loadlin. That should then be enough to boot into
    Linux and change to LILO or reinstall GRUB. If grub's a permanent
    problem, you could also take it off with an EBD MSDOS floppy by running
    FDISK /MBR.

+ Reply to Thread