I may need to re-link library files, please help - Help

This is a discussion on I may need to re-link library files, please help - Help ; I'm running slackware v.2.4.18. I tried to install a recent version of espgs so that I could run cups with my epson printer. There was an error message saying that a certain library file was missing or couldn't be accessed. ...

  1. I may need to re-link library files, please help

    I'm running slackware v.2.4.18. I tried to install a recent version of espgs so that I could run cups with my epson printer. There was an error message saying that a certain library file was missing or couldn't be accessed. So I upgraded the libraries with pkgtool. I went from having version 2.2.5.so to v.2.3.5.so for all shared library images.

    I don't know whether this messed up my system or not. Programs have run fine and commands have executed with the more recent versions of ld-linux.so.2, libc.so.6 and so on. Unfortunately, although cups appears to run ok, I still can't print anything in Linux. So I'm wondering if the newer libraries are responsible, since an older cups filter program, rastertoprinter, has a date stamp of 2002 and the libraries are dated in Sept. 2005.

    I don't know how to replace the shared library images that the symbolic links point to. Would someone please explain to me the procedure for doing this? I tried doing it with ln -sf for individual library images, and I couldn't execute commands afterwards. Or would it be better to upgrade my software to work with the new libraries?

  2. Re: I may need to re-link library files, please help

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:19:41 -0700
    "Gary Krupa" wrote:

    > I don't know how to replace the shared library images that the
    > symbolic links point to. Would someone please explain to me the
    > procedure for doing this? I tried doing it with ln -sf
    > for individual library images, and I couldn't execute commands
    > afterwards. Or would it be better to upgrade my software to work with
    > the new libraries?

    Make friends with Midnight Commander. Among many other things, it is a
    terrific tool for creating and editing symlinks.

    --
    Roger Brown
    roger2@rogerbrown.no-ip.org

    If you live in a country run by committee, be on the committee.
    -- Graham Summer

  3. Re: I may need to re-link library files, please help

    Gary Krupa wrote:
    > I'm running slackware v.2.4.18. I tried to install a recent version of
    > espgs so that I could run cups with my epson printer.

    Did you install espgs from the source or a binary?

    There was an error
    > message saying that a certain library file was missing or couldn't be
    > accessed.

    What is the exact error and library?

    So I upgraded the libraries with pkgtool. I went from having
    > version 2.2.5.so to v.2.3.5.so for all shared library images.
    >
    > I don't know whether this messed up my system or not. Programs have run
    > fine and commands have executed with the more recent versions of
    > ld-linux.so.2, libc.so.6 and so on. Unfortunately, although cups appears
    > to run ok, I still can't print anything in Linux. So I'm wondering if
    > the newer libraries are responsible, since an older cups filter program,
    > rastertoprinter, has a date stamp of 2002 and the libraries are dated in
    > Sept. 2005.
    >
    > I don't know how to replace the shared library images that the symbolic
    > links point to. Would someone please explain to me the procedure for
    > doing this? I tried doing it with ln -sf for individual
    > library images, and I couldn't execute commands afterwards. Or would it
    > be better to upgrade my software to work with the new libraries?

  4. Re: I may need to re-link library files, please help

    Roger Brown trolled:
    > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:19:41 -0700
    > "Gary Krupa" wrote:

    > > I don't know how to replace the shared library images that the
    > > symbolic links point to. Would someone please explain to me the
    > > procedure for doing this? I tried doing it with ln -sf
    > > for individual library images, and I couldn't execute commands
    > > afterwards. Or would it be better to upgrade my software to work with
    > > the new libraries?

    > Make friends with Midnight Commander. Among many other things, it is a
    > terrific tool for creating and editing symlinks.

    Faux_Pseudo won't use mc. He says it's a gui.

    cordially, as always,

    rm

  5. Re: I may need to re-link library files, please help

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:19:41 -0700, Gary Krupa wrote:

    > I'm running slackware v.2.4.18. I tried to install a recent version of
    > espgs so that I could run cups with my epson printer. There was an error
    > message saying that a certain library file was missing or couldn't be
    > accessed. So I upgraded the libraries with pkgtool. I went from having
    > version 2.2.5.so to v.2.3.5.so for all shared library images.
    >
    > I don't know whether this messed up my system or not. Programs have run
    > fine and commands have executed with the more recent versions of
    > ld-linux.so.2, libc.so.6 and so on. Unfortunately, although cups appears
    > to run ok, I still can't print anything in Linux. So I'm wondering if
    > the newer libraries are responsible, since an older cups filter program,
    > rastertoprinter, has a date stamp of 2002 and the libraries are dated in
    > Sept. 2005.
    >
    > I don't know how to replace the shared library images that the symbolic
    > links point to. Would someone please explain to me the procedure for
    > doing this? I tried doing it with ln -sf for individual
    > library images, and I couldn't execute commands afterwards. Or would it
    > be better to upgrade my software to work with the new libraries?

    as root:
    # ldconfig

    and
    $ man ldconfig