Err: no C compiler in $PATH - Help

This is a discussion on Err: no C compiler in $PATH - Help ; Hi Gang, I've installed FC and put the "old" 750Mhz FC3 box in my shop building for use as a automotive diagnosis platform. This is the error I receive when attempting to install: configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Err: no C compiler in $PATH

  1. Err: no C compiler in $PATH

    Hi Gang, I've installed FC and put the "old" 750Mhz FC3 box in my shop
    building for use as a automotive diagnosis platform.

    This is the error I receive when attempting to install:

    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

    I have installed the FC5 Development Libraries, which I think contain the
    various C statements needed.

    Suggestions??

    Cheers,

    Dave

  2. Re: Err: no C compiler in $PATH

    On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Dave Mann wrote:

    >I've installed FC and put the "old" 750Mhz FC3 box in my shop
    >building for use as a automotive diagnosis platform.
    >
    >This is the error I receive when attempting to install:
    >
    >configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    >
    >I have installed the FC5 Development Libraries, which I think contain the
    >various C statements needed.


    It's not looking for the devel libraries, it's looking for the compiler
    itself. FC5?

    4425972 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    3228525 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-c++-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    2763320 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-gfortran-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    11243556 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-gnat-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    2685174 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-java-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    2577019 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-objc++-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    2407502 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-objc-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm

    Depending on what you are doing, you need at least the first one. If it's
    for FC3, the names are similar, but the dash numbers will differ.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Err: no C compiler in $PATH

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 17:48:30 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 Jun 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    > , Dave Mann wrote:
    >
    >>I've installed FC and put the "old" 750Mhz FC3 box in my shop
    >>building for use as a automotive diagnosis platform.
    >>
    >>This is the error I receive when attempting to install:
    >>
    >>configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    >>
    >>I have installed the FC5 Development Libraries, which I think contain the
    >>various C statements needed.

    >
    > It's not looking for the devel libraries, it's looking for the compiler
    > itself. FC5?
    >
    > 4425972 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    > 3228525 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-c++-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    > 2763320 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-gfortran-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    > 11243556 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-gnat-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    > 2685174 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-java-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    > 2577019 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-objc++-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    > 2407502 Mar 10 05:58 gcc-objc-4.1.0-3.i386.rpm
    >
    > Depending on what you are doing, you need at least the first one. If it's
    > for FC3, the names are similar, but the dash numbers will differ.
    >
    > Old guy


    OK, I understand .. but why should it be looking for them? Didn't FC5
    install them automagically? What's up with that?

    I guess I can do a "yum install gcc-*.rpm" and fix it?

    If not, well I am just going to go back to CP/M .. so there!

    Cheers,

    Dave



    --
    ~~~~~~
    "Study History - Know the Future"

    http://misterfixit.blogspot.com
    http://daves928.blogspot.com
    http://carondelet.blogspot.com

  4. Re: Err: no C compiler in $PATH

    On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Dave Mann wrote:

    >OK, I understand .. but why should it be looking for them? Didn't FC5
    >install them automagically? What's up with that?


    I'm not using Fedora, but the compiler probably isn't part of a default
    install (most wouldn't have the first clue what it was, never mind how
    to use it - that's what a package management system is for), any more
    than the development libraries should be.

    >I guess I can do a "yum install gcc-*.rpm" and fix it?


    I suppose - but that's probably going to pick up a lot more than needed.
    Note that your regex matches gcc-1 through gcc-5 as well as gcc-gfortran
    and gcc-java and so on. If you are using FC3, the primary package was
    gcc-3.4.2-6.fc3 which updated to gcc-3.4.4-2.fc3.i386.rpm.

    >If not, well I am just going to go back to CP/M .. so there!


    You gotta C compiler that's worth a sh!t running on CP/M ???

    Old guY

  5. Re: Err: no C compiler in $PATH

    On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 15:43:27 -0500, Moe Trin wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    > , Dave Mann wrote:
    >
    >>OK, I understand .. but why should it be looking for them? Didn't FC5
    >>install them automagically? What's up with that?

    >
    > I'm not using Fedora, but the compiler probably isn't part of a default
    > install (most wouldn't have the first clue what it was, never mind how
    > to use it - that's what a package management system is for), any more
    > than the development libraries should be.
    >
    >>I guess I can do a "yum install gcc-*.rpm" and fix it?

    >
    > I suppose - but that's probably going to pick up a lot more than needed.
    > Note that your regex matches gcc-1 through gcc-5 as well as gcc-gfortran
    > and gcc-java and so on. If you are using FC3, the primary package was
    > gcc-3.4.2-6.fc3 which updated to gcc-3.4.4-2.fc3.i386.rpm.
    >
    >>If not, well I am just going to go back to CP/M .. so there!

    >
    > You gotta C compiler that's worth a sh!t running on CP/M ???
    >
    > Old guY



    Nah .. I'll Run basiCa ... heh

    Cheers,

    Dave



    --
    ~~~~~~
    "Study History - Know the Future"

    http://misterfixit.blogspot.com
    http://daves928.blogspot.com
    http://carondelet.blogspot.com

+ Reply to Thread