graphics card access - Help

This is a discussion on graphics card access - Help ; Hi all, Im lookin for some info on howto access my graphics and start drawing from within text mode. I know there are quite a few issues with this, can anyone point me to some relevant documentation. Im a pretty ...

  1. graphics card access

    Hi all,

    Im lookin for some info on howto access my graphics and start drawing
    from within text mode.

    I know there are quite a few issues with this, can anyone point me to
    some relevant documentation. Im a pretty good C programmer but will be
    breaking into a new area (for me). Id like to know how to access my
    graphics hardware to draw somehting even justa line would be good to
    start with.

    Cheers

    Dave

  2. Re: graphics card access

    dave frost wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Im lookin for some info on howto access my graphics and start drawing
    > from within text mode.
    >
    > I know there are quite a few issues with this, can anyone point me to
    > some relevant documentation. Im a pretty good C programmer but will be
    > breaking into a new area (for me). Id like to know how to access my
    > graphics hardware to draw somehting even justa line would be good to
    > start with.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Dave

    Is there some special reason that you do not want to use "X"?

    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  3. Re: graphics card access

    joseph2k wrote:
    > dave frost wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Im lookin for some info on howto access my graphics and start drawing
    >> from within text mode.
    >>
    >> I know there are quite a few issues with this, can anyone point me to
    >> some relevant documentation. Im a pretty good C programmer but will be
    >> breaking into a new area (for me). Id like to know how to access my
    >> graphics hardware to draw somehting even justa line would be good to
    >> start with.
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Dave

    > Is there some special reason that you do not want to use "X"?

    not really just interested in having a look at lower level graphics
    related stuff.

    any help appreciated.

    cheers

    Dave

  4. Re: graphics card access

    Here is how I do it:

    draw your picture into a frame buffer size memory alloc

    rpc/xdr and map the picture to the fb (use an empty rpc, just to map the
    xdr)

    You can draw as fast as your machine can read data into the fb.

    That's if you use fb.

    If you want to use special features of your gfx card (which makes that
    instead of passing the entire fb you just pass widgets, ops, etc.), then
    you need to know the api of your card.

    Mike

    (if you don't understand this then just go ahead and do it 'the normal
    way' using X)

    On Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:59:26 +0000, dave frost wrote:

    > joseph2k wrote:
    >> dave frost wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Im lookin for some info on howto access my graphics and start drawing
    >>> from within text mode.
    >>>
    >>> I know there are quite a few issues with this, can anyone point me to
    >>> some relevant documentation. Im a pretty good C programmer but will be
    >>> breaking into a new area (for me). Id like to know how to access my
    >>> graphics hardware to draw somehting even justa line would be good to
    >>> start with.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Dave

    >> Is there some special reason that you do not want to use "X"?
    >>

    > not really just interested in having a look at lower level graphics
    > related stuff.
    >
    > any help appreciated.
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Dave

    -----------------
    -----------------

  5. Re: graphics card access

    XCB is a replacement for the old XLib library. Go for it.
    http://xcb.freedesktop.org/wiki/

    SVGALib is an option if you really must do graphics outside the X.
    http://www.svgalib.org/

    dave frost wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Im lookin for some info on howto access my graphics and start drawing
    > from within text mode.
    >
    > I know there are quite a few issues with this, can anyone point me to
    > some relevant documentation. Im a pretty good C programmer but will be
    > breaking into a new area (for me). Id like to know how to access my
    > graphics hardware to draw somehting even justa line would be good to
    > start with.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Dave

+ Reply to Thread