How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz - Help

This is a discussion on How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz - Help ; Hello I am totally new to Linux - but have now installed a Suse Linux 10 on a laptop pc. Its looking very good :-) BUT I just can't figure out how to install the new firefox browser. I have ...

  1. How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    Hello

    I am totally new to Linux - but have now installed a Suse Linux 10 on a
    laptop pc.

    Its looking very good :-)

    BUT I just can't figure out how to install the new firefox browser.
    I have downloaded it from the mozilla site and have managed to unpack
    the tar.gz file.

    And I can't find anything on the web - it's all about RPM installs.

    Can anybody help me - please remember I am totally new to this - so it
    has got to be explained in at simple manner :-)
    Or mayby you can point me to some online recourses.

    Thank you and best regards

    Jes Petersen

  2. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 09:06:50 +0200, dav
    wrote:

    >Can anybody help me

    Try looking at the files you've unpacked and reading any text files or
    shell scripts. There's probably one called "install." If so, from
    its directory type in ./install and let it do its job. HTH, HAND.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  3. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    dav skrev:

    > Or mayby you can point me to some online recourses.

    Have a look at http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.0.4.html

    As far as I can see, you just need to start firefox.

    Rgds, Per

  4. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    > Try looking at the files you've unpacked and reading any text files or
    > shell scripts. There's probably one called "install." If so, from
    > its directory type in ./install and let it do its job. HTH, HAND.

    no file is called install or anything like that.

    When you say type in ./install - is that from the terminal window - when
    pressing alt-f2 - and then writing ./install
    Am I supposed to be on the firefox folder - or in the folder?

    I know - I am totally new to this, but I find it facinating - and the
    KDE gui is so beautifull :-)

    It great - and I want to learn :-)

    Best regard

    Jes

  5. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    Per Riber wrote:
    > dav skrev:
    >
    >> Or mayby you can point me to some online recourses.

    > Have a look at http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/releases/1.5.0.4.html
    >
    > As far as I can see, you just need to start firefox.
    >
    > Rgds, Per

    My problem is - I dont know how to start it.
    I managed to download the tar.gz package - and unpack it to the home
    directory. But in windows there is an exe file that you can dbl. clik on
    - but not in Linux. So there must be a way to do it. It a little easier
    with an RPM package - I managed to install GAIM messenger.

    Best regards

    Jes

  6. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    On Sun, 04 Jun 2006 20:14:21 +0200, dav
    wrote:

    >When you say type in ./install - is that from the terminal window - when
    >pressing alt-f2 - and then writing ./install
    >Am I supposed to be on the firefox folder - or in the folder?

    Yes, of course. However, you need to be in whatever directory that
    install script (or whatever it's called) is for that to work and it's
    probably best if you su to root for the job.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  7. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    > Yes, of course. However, you need to be in whatever directory that
    > install script (or whatever it's called) is for that to work and it's
    > probably best if you su to root for the job.

    Ok - I will give it another try.

    Best regards

    Jes

  8. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    dav skrev:

    > My problem is - I dont know how to start it.
    > I managed to download the tar.gz package - and unpack it to the home
    > directory. But in windows there is an exe file that you can dbl. clik on
    > - but not in Linux. So there must be a way to do it. It a little easier
    > with an RPM package - I managed to install GAIM messenger.

    What happens, if you (double)click the file named firefox..?

    You need to have execute permissions to the file, but files don't need
    the .exe extension to be executable.

    Rgds, Per

  9. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    dav skrev:

    PS: You might have a look at the newsgroup dk.edb.system.unix

    Rgds, Per

  10. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    Per Riber wrote:
    > dav skrev:
    >
    >> My problem is - I dont know how to start it.
    >> I managed to download the tar.gz package - and unpack it to the home
    >> directory. But in windows there is an exe file that you can dbl. clik
    >> on - but not in Linux. So there must be a way to do it. It a little
    >> easier with an RPM package - I managed to install GAIM messenger.

    > What happens, if you (double)click the file named firefox..?
    >
    > You need to have execute permissions to the file, but files don't need
    > the .exe extension to be executable.
    >
    > Rgds, Per

    Hello Per

    When I double click the file named firefox it actually opens firefox -
    but there is box saying that "firefox is already running, but not
    responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing
    firefox process, or restart your system."

    There was a firefox preinstalled in Suse 10 - I am not sure if I have to
    remove that. And not sure if I have to install the new firefox to get
    it into the start menu - and make it the default browser etc. etc.

    I need some basic understanding on how Linux handles things. It
    obviously very different than Windows. And there is probably at good
    reason why :-)

    Best regards

    Jes

  11. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    dav skrev:

    > When I double click the file named firefox it actually opens firefox -
    > but there is box saying that "firefox is already running, but not
    > responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing
    > firefox process, or restart your system."

    You can find and kill the existing process using console commands. Type
    man ps and man kill, if you want to know more.

    per@pc4u:~$ ps aux | grep firefox
    per 7163 0.4 2.5 127356 52324 ? Sl 10:50 0:53
    /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin -a firefox

    per@pc4u:~$ kill -9 7163

    > There was a firefox preinstalled in Suse 10 - I am not sure if I have to
    > remove that. And not sure if I have to install the new firefox to get
    > it into the start menu - and make it the default browser etc. etc.

    I would remove the built-in version of firefox using my package-manager
    (yast in SUSE, AFAIK..)

    > I need some basic understanding on how Linux handles things. It
    > obviously very different than Windows. And there is probably at good
    > reason why :-)

    Some basic Unix knowledge is very nice to have. You can find lots of
    tutorials on Google - just one example:
    http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/

    Rgds, Per

  12. Re: How to install Firefox in Suse10 using a tar.gz

    Per Riber wrote:
    > dav skrev:
    >
    >> When I double click the file named firefox it actually opens firefox -
    >> but there is box saying that "firefox is already running, but not
    >> responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing
    >> firefox process, or restart your system."

    > You can find and kill the existing process using console commands. Type
    > man ps and man kill, if you want to know more.
    >
    > per@pc4u:~$ ps aux | grep firefox
    > per 7163 0.4 2.5 127356 52324 ? Sl 10:50 0:53
    > /usr/lib/firefox/firefox-bin -a firefox
    >
    > per@pc4u:~$ kill -9 7163
    >
    >> There was a firefox preinstalled in Suse 10 - I am not sure if I have
    >> to remove that. And not sure if I have to install the new firefox to
    >> get it into the start menu - and make it the default browser etc. etc.

    > I would remove the built-in version of firefox using my package-manager
    > (yast in SUSE, AFAIK..)
    >
    >> I need some basic understanding on how Linux handles things. It
    >> obviously very different than Windows. And there is probably at good
    >> reason why :-)

    > Some basic Unix knowledge is very nice to have. You can find lots of
    > tutorials on Google - just one example:
    > http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Teaching/Unix/
    >
    > Rgds, Per

    Hello Per

    Thank you - I will try your suggestions.
    I also found a nice beginner tutorial in danish here
    http://suse.linuxin.dk/10.0/ - it has alot of good basic information.

    Best regards

    Jes

+ Reply to Thread