How to mount a Harddisk in Fedora 4 - Help

This is a discussion on How to mount a Harddisk in Fedora 4 - Help ; Hey there. I have installed at new hard drive on my linux server. The problem is that the new hard drive has been placed in /root/HDDS or ~/HDDS My rood structure is looking like this: /bin /boot /dev /etc /home ...

  1. How to mount a Harddisk in Fedora 4

    Hey there.

    I have installed at new hard drive on my linux server. The problem is that
    the new hard drive has been placed in /root/HDDS or ~/HDDS

    My rood structure is looking like this:

    /bin
    /boot
    /dev
    /etc
    /home
    /lib
    Etc.

    But what do I need to do, if I want to add the new hard drive to /etc/HDDS?

    If have tried $mount /dev/HDDS /mnt/HDDS

    But get this error mount: you must specify the filesystem type

    How do I find out the filesystem type on a hard drive?

    -Jimmi F. (Denmark)

  2. Re: How to mount a Harddisk in Fedora 4

    On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    <44815a1d$0$67255$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity.dk>, Jimmi B. Frederiksen wrote:

    [You do realize that this newsgroup was replaced in 1995 with the current
    group 'comp.os.linux.misc', and therefore is not carried on many servers.]

    >I have installed at new hard drive on my linux server. The problem is that
    >the new hard drive has been placed in /root/HDDS or ~/HDDS

    "the new hard drive has been placed in /root/HDDS or ~/HDDS' by what?

    >My rood structure is looking like this:

    OK - that looks standard (see the "Linux Filesystem Hierarchy", a user
    guide at the Linux Documentation Project http://tldp.org/guides.html)

    >But what do I need to do, if I want to add the new hard drive to /etc/HDDS?

    Did you create the mount point? A mount point is an empty directory
    located in a suitable place. It MUST BE empty, as mounting the drive (or
    more correctly, a partition) covers any existing files in that directory.

    >If have tried $mount /dev/HDDS /mnt/HDDS
    >
    >But get this error mount: you must specify the filesystem type

    Did you "partition" and "format" (create a file system) on the new drive?
    The commands used would have been "fdisk" or "cfdisk" and "mkfs" or "mke2fs"
    or "mke3fs", depending on the type of file system. See the man pages.

    >How do I find out the filesystem type on a hard drive?

    /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/HDDS

    is a good place to start. You should also look through the HOWTOs

    23639 Aug 21 2000 Hard-Disk-Upgrade
    79391 Nov 8 2004 Large-Disk-HOWTO
    236864 Jul 21 2003 Multi-Disk-HOWTO
    68659 Jan 4 13:41 Partition

    and then look at the man pages for 'mkfs', 'mount' and 'fstab'.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread