ypbind problem at boot - Help

This is a discussion on ypbind problem at boot - Help ; Hi. We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes. We are in the process of ...

  1. ypbind problem at boot

    Hi.

    We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell
    OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex
    GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes. We are in the process of
    upgrading from FC4 to FC5.

    We are having a ypbind-related problem with the Dell OptiFlex GX520. This
    problem had occurred when it was an FC4 machine, and it's still occurring
    as an FC5 machine. It is not occurring with any of our other machines.

    Booting for the Dell OptiFlex GX520 hangs for a while at the msg
    Listening for an NIS domain server
    After a bit of time, this times out, and the rest of the booting proceeds
    quasi-normally, with the (unsurprising) exception of autofs not
    automounting remote directories.

    Oddly enough, after the boot process, if I log in as root and issue the
    commands
    # service ypbind start
    # service autofs restart
    everything is OK. NIS now works, and the remote directories automount as
    expected.

    Does anybody have an explanation for this? That is, why would the machine
    (*) not be able to find its NIS server when booting, yet
    (*) be able to find its NIS server after booting?

    Even better, what can we do so that ypbind works properly when the system
    is booted, i.e., so that this machine can find its NIS server when booting?

    Many thanks.

    --
    Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker
    GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?

  2. Re: ypbind problem at boot

    Art Werschulz wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > We have a cluster of RedHat Intel machines. One of these is a Dell
    > OptiFlex GX520; the others are HP/Compaq dc5000 MicroTowers, Dell OptiFlex
    > GX270 units, and a couple of other Intel boxes. We are in the process of
    > upgrading from FC4 to FC5.
    >
    > We are having a ypbind-related problem with the Dell OptiFlex GX520. This
    > problem had occurred when it was an FC4 machine, and it's still occurring
    > as an FC5 machine. It is not occurring with any of our other machines.
    >
    > Booting for the Dell OptiFlex GX520 hangs for a while at the msg
    > Listening for an NIS domain server
    > After a bit of time, this times out, and the rest of the booting proceeds
    > quasi-normally, with the (unsurprising) exception of autofs not
    > automounting remote directories.
    >
    > Oddly enough, after the boot process, if I log in as root and issue the
    > commands
    > # service ypbind start
    > # service autofs restart
    > everything is OK. NIS now works, and the remote directories automount as
    > expected.
    >
    > Does anybody have an explanation for this? That is, why would the machine
    > (*) not be able to find its NIS server when booting, yet
    > (*) be able to find its NIS server after booting?
    >
    > Even better, what can we do so that ypbind works properly when the system
    > is booted, i.e., so that this machine can find its NIS server when

    booting?

    > Many thanks.

    Sounds like ypbind and autofs are trying to start before the ethernet
    drivers were initialized. You might try building a custom kernel with the
    ethernet built in so that it initializes first.

    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

+ Reply to Thread