I am trying to install RealVNC on a number of different systems that we'll
be using. There's no problem with Windows, but on Linux, on a number of
systems ask for libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3. On my system, that file is a
symlink to libstdc++-3-libc6.2-2-2.10.0.so. As I understand that, it means
that I can use a symlink like this in most cases and not have a problem.

I'm not a C programmer, but from what I've gleaned, as long as the symlink
is to a late enough library there isn't a problem. What I need to do is
work out an algorithm for what file I should symlink to. For example, I
don't know what the "3" in the 2nd filename represents and if it is
important. If I can just list the library directories with wildcards, get
a list of files, and sort them so the last one has the highest value, then
link to that, it'd be great.

What are the rules for these types of symlinks? Should I just look for any
version of the library that is the same or greater? Do I pay attention to
the version numbers after the "++-" and before the "libc"? Or do I only
have to pay attention to the numbers after "libc" and the ".so" at then
end?

What criteria do I use to try to determine which file I should symlink to?

Thanks for any help on this!

Hal