Very, very slow sending to printer - Help

This is a discussion on Very, very slow sending to printer - Help ; I am building PostScript print jobs that when printed to a Konica Minolta 1050 will produce folded, stapled and trimmed 8.5 x 11 inch booklets. The imposition is done in an application that builds it from multiple “print to file” ...

  1. Very, very slow sending to printer

    I am building PostScript print jobs that when printed to a Konica
    Minolta 1050 will produce folded, stapled and trimmed 8.5 x 11 inch
    booklets. The imposition is done in an application that builds it from
    multiple “print to file” jobs done by other people. Since I have no
    control over the input, and the multiple jobs are through different
    drivers / operating systems the application spends considerable effort
    converting them into clean PostScript, then imposing the PS and wrapping
    it in the commands to finish it properly, and the final imposed job is
    quite large.
    Sending the job to the printer produced the correct output, but took
    forever. I observed from the system monitor that I was averaging about
    60 kilobits per second to the printer. However, when sending the same
    job to a printer queue (or a shared folder) on a Windows computer I got
    around 10 megabytes per second. If I sent from the Windows computer to
    the printer I got about the same 10 megabytes per second. Currently the
    fastest method by far is to print using the Windows machine as a print
    server.
    I did test for bad connectivity at the printer end by moving the patch
    cable going to the printer to a laptop running an LPR queue: I got 10
    megabytes/sec from both the Windows and the Linux boxes. The problem is
    Linux/CUPs talking to the printer. Linux to Windows or Windows to
    printer is fine.

    Though I am a Linux newbie, this does not seem right. Where should I be
    looking for my problem? The printer manufacturer is no help, at least,
    not in the short term.

    Running Fedora Core 5, on a Sun Fire X2100 (2GHz Opteron) with gigabit
    Ethernet. (The printer has only 10/100.)
    The Windows tested was XP Pro on an identical X2100 (and also the
    laptop, a Pentium 4).

  2. Re: Very, very slow sending to printer

    I know I'm resurrecting a zombie post..but still I think it's important because there is not much information out there about this issue:

    I am having similar issues. Printing pdf files is only working if you print no more than 2 pages at a time. Even those 2 pages are not coming out fast..this is when printing directly to the printer with uri lpd://x.x.x.x with a PS driver.

    Printing from Windows with a PCL driver is very fast.

    So far the only solution I'm seeing is to share the Windows printer and configure Linux to print to it.
    I'll post back if I find another (Windows-less) solution.

+ Reply to Thread