inetd question - Help

This is a discussion on inetd question - Help ; Greetings, How can I tell when inetd invokes a service (svnserve) I have listed in my inetd.conf? I would like the system to beep by just executing a command to beep on the command line which I already know. This ...

  1. inetd question

    Greetings,

    How can I tell when inetd invokes a service (svnserve) I have listed in
    my inetd.conf? I would like the system to beep by just executing a
    command to beep on the command line which I already know.

    This would probably involve writing a shell script that inetd invokes
    instead of the service, with the script itself then invoking my service.

    I don't know how to write the script. My inetd.conf looks like this...

    # Subversion server...
    svn stream tcp nowait root /opt/bin/svnserve -i -r /public/svnrepos

    What would I replace that with and what would the script look like?

    Kip

  2. Re: inetd question

    To sound a bell to the terminal depends on your Unix version (or rathe
    on the kind of "echo" program that is available on your machine).

    A BSD-like "echo" uses the "-n" option for suppressing the final
    newline and does not understand the octal \nnn notation. Thus
    the command is

    echo -n '^G'

    where ^G means a _literal_ BEL-character (you can produce thi
    in
    emacs using "Ctrl-Q Ctrl-G" and in vi using "Ctrl-V Ctrl-G").

    A SysV-like "echo" understands the \nnn notation and uses \c to
    suppress the final newline, so the answer is:

    echo '\007\c'

    So first play with the echo command until your hear the bell, the
    create a shell script: For example:

    #/bin/sh
    /bin/echo '\007\c'
    /opt/bin/svnserve -i -r /public/svnrepos

    Enusre the script has the correct execute permission set then add th
    command to inetd.conf, i.e.

    svn stream tcp nowait root /myscript/myshellscript.sh

    Obviously replace "/myscript/myshellscript.sh" for the correct path.

    Hope that helps

    --
    harryedwards

  3. Re: inetd question

    harryedwards wrote:

    > To sound a bell to the terminal depends on your Unix version (or
    > rather on the kind of "echo" program that is available on your
    > machine).
    >
    > A BSD-like "echo" uses the "-n" option for suppressing the final
    > newline and does not understand the octal \nnn notation. Thus
    > the command is
    >
    > echo -n '^G'
    >
    > where ^G means a literal BEL-character (you can produce this
    > in
    > emacs using "Ctrl-Q Ctrl-G" and in vi using "Ctrl-V Ctrl-G").
    >
    > A SysV-like "echo" understands the \nnn notation and uses \c to
    > suppress the final newline, so the answer is:
    >
    > echo '\007\c'
    >
    > So first play with the echo command until your hear the bell, then
    > create a shell script: For example:
    >
    > #/bin/sh
    > /bin/echo '\007\c'
    > /opt/bin/svnserve -i -r /public/svnrepos
    >
    > Enusre the script has the correct execute permission set then add the
    > command to inetd.conf, i.e.
    >
    > svn stream tcp nowait root /myscript/myshellscript.sh
    >
    > Obviously replace "/myscript/myshellscript.sh" for the correct path.
    >
    > Hope that helps.

    Thanks Harry,

    I have this in my launchsvn.sh after running chmod 755 on the script:

    Set_Led beep1
    Set_Led beep1
    /opt/bin/svnserve -i -r /public/svnrepos

    And in my inetd.conf, I have:

    # Subversion server...
    # svn stream tcp nowait root /opt/bin/svnserve -i -r /public/svnrepos
    svn stream tcp nowait root /root/launchsvn.sh

    The commented out line is the original working line and the one below
    it is the new one.

    The connection fails now from my Subversion client when I try to
    connect to the server. Any ideas?

    Kip

  4. Re: inetd question

    Got it to work. When I reset the machine to apply the inetd changes,
    the IP changed so I was trying to get into the wrong machine. hehe.

    Kip

+ Reply to Thread