Removing Linux and grub - Help

This is a discussion on Removing Linux and grub - Help ; Currently I'm dual booting XP (Tablet Edition) and Ubuntu and I need the space my ubuntu partition is taking up (I have another laptop I use for linux now) but I'm worried about removing and partitioning and would prefer not ...

  1. Removing Linux and grub

    Currently I'm dual booting XP (Tablet Edition) and Ubuntu and I need the
    space my ubuntu partition is taking up (I have another laptop I use for
    linux now) but I'm worried about removing and partitioning and would
    prefer not to accidentally remove C: if I can avoid it.

    I know I can use fixmbr or fdisk /mbr to remove Grub, and deleting a
    partition is no problem but my Ubuntu partition is 'Active' so I'm
    worried that Windows won't boot automatically

    ATM I have 5 partitions in Windows Disk Management:

    PQService - 1.95GB - Fat32 - (EISA Configuration)
    System (C - 26.88GB - NTFS - (System)
    Data (D - 15.63GB - FAT32
    No name - 10.93GB - (Active)
    No Name - 510MB - (Unknown)

    So (finally) my probably stupid question is should I use fdisk to set C:
    as the active partition and can I then delete the two non-FAT/NTFS
    partitions safely?

    Cheers

    HH

  2. Re: Removing Linux and grub

    On Fri, 05 May 2006 07:10:52 +0100
    HappyHippy wrote:

    > I know I can use fixmbr or fdisk /mbr to remove Grub, and deleting a
    > partition is no problem but my Ubuntu partition is 'Active' so I'm
    > worried that Windows won't boot automatically

    I think that booting your Windows cd in recovery mode and using fixmbr will set Windows to boot automatically.

    The active partition shouldn't be a problem, but keep a Windows CD and a Knoppix CD handy just in case.

+ Reply to Thread