Does Lenix have a ARP statement? - Help

This is a discussion on Does Lenix have a ARP statement? - Help ; Hello all, Question from a new Linux user. I am setting up a Enterprise Linux 3.0 server with Checkpoint Firewall. I have a Windows 2003 server now that is running Checkpoint. The W2003 needs an Arp batch file to translate ...

  1. Does Lenix have a ARP statement?

    Hello all,

    Question from a new Linux user. I am setting up a Enterprise Linux 3.0
    server with Checkpoint Firewall. I have a Windows 2003 server now that
    is running Checkpoint. The W2003 needs an Arp batch file to translate 2
    ip address on the Internet to the external interface of the firewall to
    keep its address hidden. The batch file I have in W2003 looks like
    this:

    arp -s 71.242.255.20 00-08-02-ac-d8-74

    Does Linux have some kind of Arp command? What is it and where can I
    find it? What is the best way to get it to run at startup?

    Thanks for your help.

    --
    Bobreinh

  2. Re: Does Lenix have a ARP statement?

    On Tue, 2 May 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Bobreinh wrote:

    >Question from a new Linux user. I am setting up a Enterprise Linux 3.0
    >server with Checkpoint Firewall. I have a Windows 2003 server now that
    >is running Checkpoint. The W2003 needs an Arp batch file to translate 2
    >ip address on the Internet to the external interface of the firewall to
    >keep its address hidden.

    That question makes no sense at all. 'arp' is a network protocol used to
    translate between hardware address and network address - in the case of
    IPv4, see RFC0826. You appear to be speaking about proxy-arp or masquerading.

    >The batch file I have in W2003 looks like this:
    >
    >arp -s 71.242.255.20 00-08-02-ac-d8-74

    That would appear to try to associate the IPv4 address 71.242.255.20 to the
    '00-08-02-ac-d8-74' MAC address - which would be a Compaq of some kind.

    >Does Linux have some kind of Arp command? What is it and where can I
    >find it?

    [compton ~]$ whereis arp
    arp: /sbin/arp /usr/man/man8/arp.8
    [compton ~]$

    Where the fsck do you think microsoft got the concept for that command?
    Ethernet existed long before microsoft discovered hard disk drives. Heck,
    look at the date of the RFC!

    >What is the best way to get it to run at startup?

    If you are trying to tell Linux to proxyarp, then put the command in one
    of the boot scripts - you say 'Enterprise Linux 3.0' so I _guess_ that is
    either Red Hat or a clone (surprise, there are quite a number of
    distributors who have released an 'Enterprise Linux' version), and
    rc.local would be an appropriate file.

    If you are trying to set a NIC to that hardware address, the command used
    is /sbin/ifconfig, but this is also a configuration variable in boot scripts.
    For a Red Hat based system, setting the 'HWADDR=' variable in the appropriate
    network configuration file (/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 for
    example) to 00:08:02:AC8:74 should work, assuming the network card will
    accept changing the MAC address (not all do).

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread