Grub question - Help

This is a discussion on Grub question - Help ; I dual-boot Win98se and Linux. Before installing Linux, my F-keys were active during boot, so that I could boot into DOS instead of Windows if needed. (There are a few times that's more convenient.) Now, however, Grub starts Windows and ...

  1. Grub question

    I dual-boot Win98se and Linux. Before installing Linux, my F-keys
    were active during boot, so that I could boot into DOS instead of
    Windows if needed. (There are a few times that's more convenient.)
    Now, however, Grub starts Windows and the F-keys are ignored. If I
    want to be in DOS without Windows, I have to let it start, then
    restart in DOS mode. Does anybody know why, or how to tell Grub
    either to boot into DOS mode or to regain this functionality without
    using a boot menu every time?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  2. Re: Grub question

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 20:46:24 +0000, Joe Zeff wrote:

    > I dual-boot Win98se and Linux. Before installing Linux, my F-keys were
    > active during boot, so that I could boot into DOS instead of Windows if
    > needed. (There are a few times that's more convenient.) Now, however,
    > Grub starts Windows and the F-keys are ignored. If I want to be in DOS
    > without Windows, I have to let it start, then restart in DOS mode. Does
    > anybody know why, or how to tell Grub either to boot into DOS mode or to
    > regain this functionality without using a boot menu every time?

    Maybe you need to set your timeout in the Windows boot to something longer
    than it is. My F keys work fine when booting Windows, with timeout set to
    10 seconds. Then again, I also have the Windows splash disabled, so all
    the boot options show, each time, during the boot sequence. Grub has
    nothing to do with your Windows boot, other than chain-load to the Windows
    boot loader. Once that's done everything should work as if grub never
    existed.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  3. Re: Grub question

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 02:31:12 GMT, imotgm
    wrote:

    >Maybe you need to set your timeout in the Windows boot to something longer
    >than it is. My F keys work fine when booting Windows, with timeout set to
    >10 seconds.

    I've pressed F8 as soon as the Grub screen clears and kept it down
    until the Windows splash comes up. Nothing, and I know that when it
    comes up, it's too late. Weird! Thanx anyway.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    Kill as many as you can; I have a morbid love of excess.

  4. Re: Grub question

    Joe Zeff wrote:

    > I dual-boot Win98se and Linux. Before installing Linux, my F-keys
    > were active during boot, so that I could boot into DOS instead of
    > Windows if needed. (There are a few times that's more convenient.)
    > Now, however, Grub starts Windows and the F-keys are ignored. If I
    > want to be in DOS without Windows, I have to let it start, then
    > restart in DOS mode. Does anybody know why, or how to tell Grub
    > either to boot into DOS mode or to regain this functionality without
    > using a boot menu every time?

    Not duplicating issue on all distro's. i am using suse 9.2.
    --
    JosephKK
    Gegen dummheit kampfen die Gotter Selbst, vergebens.**

  5. Re: Grub question

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 03:06:44 +0000, Joe Zeff wrote:

    > I've pressed F8 as soon as the Grub screen clears and kept it down
    > until the Windows splash comes up. Nothing, and I know that when it
    > comes up, it's too late. Weird! Thanx anyway.

    http://tinyurl.com/i4p

    The above link is to MS dl page for tweakui, d/l and install it, run it
    from control panel, and check the box to show boot options during boot.
    After selecting Windows from the grub menu, your Windows splash screen
    will not appear anymore, and you can choose from normal boot, safe mode,
    or boot to the c:\ prompt, as well as a couple others I can't remember.

    HTH

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a
    month or two, but never lost."

  6. Re: Grub question

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 08:24:54 GMT, imotgm
    wrote:

    >The above link is to MS dl page for tweakui, d/l and install it, run it
    >from control panel, and check the box to show boot options during boot.
    >After selecting Windows from the grub menu, your Windows splash screen
    >will not appear anymore, and you can choose from normal boot, safe mode,
    >or boot to the c:\ prompt, as well as a couple others I can't remember.

    I have it already. I've had it for years. I also know how to use
    msconfig to turn that on. (I'm a Windows Internals geek among other
    things. Both Control Panel and Regedit are on my desktop.) I don't
    *want* the menu up every single fsking time, I just want to be able to
    reach it without setting things up in advance, and that's what the F8
    key does. (And yes, I checked: the F keys are set to be active at
    boot.)

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns