Moving VolGroup00 - Help

This is a discussion on Moving VolGroup00 - Help ; Hola El Groupo! My little Fedora box is running out of room. It has an old 500mb HD as /dev/hda1 and a 2.5gb HD as /dev/hdb1. Looking at my KDiskFree I see the following: /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 is 96% filled. How to ...

  1. Moving VolGroup00

    Hola El Groupo!

    My little Fedora box is running out of room. It has an old 500mb HD
    as /dev/hda1 and a 2.5gb HD as /dev/hdb1.

    Looking at my KDiskFree I see the following:

    /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 is 96% filled.

    How to move that over to /dev/hdb1 and just leave the /boot partition
    on /dev/hda1 ??

    TIA

    Dave

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Study History - Know the Future

  2. Re: Moving VolGroup00

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > Hola El Groupo!
    >
    > My little Fedora box is running out of room. It has an old 500mb HD
    > as /dev/hda1 and a 2.5gb HD as /dev/hdb1.
    >
    > Looking at my KDiskFree I see the following:
    >
    > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 is 96% filled.
    >
    > How to move that over to /dev/hdb1 and just leave the /boot partition
    > on /dev/hda1 ??
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Dave

    I forgot to mention that I've backed everything up on the Big Linux Box....

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Study History - Know the Future

  3. Re: Moving VolGroup00

    On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:04:47 -0600, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These Runes!:

    > Hola El Groupo!
    >
    > My little Fedora box is running out of room. It has an old 500mb HD
    > as /dev/hda1 and a 2.5gb HD as /dev/hdb1.
    >
    > Looking at my KDiskFree I see the following:
    >
    > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 is 96% filled.
    >
    > How to move that over to /dev/hdb1 and just leave the /boot partition
    > on /dev/hda1 ??

    I hate to assume. What drive is / on? If it's hda1 cp everything except
    /boot over to hdb1, symlink /boot to hdb1/boot and change the root in
    lilo/grub.conf. But /boot is probably small, why not move it over also?
    Then you can just change root in lilo or grub and be done with it. Don't
    forget to rerun lilo if that's your boot loader.

    Caveat: I don't know KDiskFree from Mount Ararat, although I've been to the
    latter. Nor have I ever seen a /dev/mapper...

    Anyway, once you've decided everything is properly functioning, rm -rf all
    on hda1 (except /boot, if you left it there). I wouldn't use a 500mb disk
    for anything but swap. Maybe.

    If it were my machine, I'd spring for a 80-100 gig drive and install
    slackware on it :-)

    Thorn
    --
    Do not sleep in a eucalyptus tree tonight.

  4. Re: Moving VolGroup00

    Thorn The Mannamavi wrote:

    > On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:04:47 -0600, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These
    > Runes!:
    >>
    >> Hola El Groupo!
    >>
    >> My little Fedora box is running out of room. It has an old 500mb HD
    >> as /dev/hda1 and a 2.5gb HD as /dev/hdb1.
    >>
    >> Looking at my KDiskFree I see the following:
    >>
    >> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 is 96% filled.
    >>
    >> How to move that over to /dev/hdb1 and just leave the /boot partition
    >> on /dev/hda1 ??

    > I hate to assume. What drive is / on? If it's hda1 cp everything except
    > /boot over to hdb1, symlink /boot to hdb1/boot and change the root in
    > lilo/grub.conf. But /boot is probably small, why not move it over also?
    > Then you can just change root in lilo or grub and be done with it. Don't
    > forget to rerun lilo if that's your boot loader.
    >
    > Caveat: I don't know KDiskFree from Mount Ararat, although I've been to
    > the
    > latter. Nor have I ever seen a /dev/mapper...
    >
    > Anyway, once you've decided everything is properly functioning, rm -rf all
    > on hda1 (except /boot, if you left it there). I wouldn't use a 500mb disk
    > for anything but swap. Maybe.
    >
    > If it were my machine, I'd spring for a 80-100 gig drive and install
    > slackware on it :-)
    >
    > Thorn

    Thanks for the infos!

    /dev/hda1 is drive #1
    /dev/hdb1 is drive #2

    shouls i just do a new 200 gb drive with slack and then do a cp -a of the
    entire /home which is copied safely to another drive?

    TIA

    Davud ben Mann

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Study History - Know the Future

  5. Re: Moving VolGroup00

    On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 23:41:48 -0600, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These Runes!:
    > Thorn The Mannamavi wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:04:47 -0600, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These
    >> Runes!:
    >>>
    >>> Hola El Groupo!
    >>>
    >>> My little Fedora box is running out of room. It has an old 500mb HD
    >>> as /dev/hda1 and a 2.5gb HD as /dev/hdb1.
    >>>
    >>> Looking at my KDiskFree I see the following:
    >>>
    >>> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 is 96% filled.
    >>>
    >>> How to move that over to /dev/hdb1 and just leave the /boot partition
    >>> on /dev/hda1 ??

    >> I hate to assume. What drive is / on? If it's hda1 cp everything except
    >> /boot over to hdb1, symlink /boot to hdb1/boot and change the root in
    >> lilo/grub.conf. But /boot is probably small, why not move it over also?
    >> Then you can just change root in lilo or grub and be done with it. Don't
    >> forget to rerun lilo if that's your boot loader.
    >>
    >> Caveat: I don't know KDiskFree from Mount Ararat, although I've been to
    >> the
    >> latter. Nor have I ever seen a /dev/mapper...
    >>
    >> Anyway, once you've decided everything is properly functioning, rm -rf all
    >> on hda1 (except /boot, if you left it there). I wouldn't use a 500mb disk
    >> for anything but swap. Maybe.
    >>
    >> If it were my machine, I'd spring for a 80-100 gig drive and install
    >> slackware on it :-)

    [...]

    > /dev/hda1 is drive #1
    > /dev/hdb1 is drive #2
    >
    > shouls i just do a new 200 gb drive with slack and then do a cp -a of the
    > entire /home which is copied safely to another drive?

    Your call. I always keep /home on a seperate drive from the install. If
    you're serious about using slack, watch out for possible permissions
    problems on your old /home/$MANN directory. Check your current /etc/passwd
    and /etc/groups for your current UID/GID numbers and use those when you
    adduser in slack.

    > Davud ben Mann

    Cute ;-)

    Thorn
    --
    Do not sleep in a eucalyptus tree tonight.

+ Reply to Thread