USB Headset - Help

This is a discussion on USB Headset - Help ; Hola El Groupo, I have a Plantronics head set that I use with Echolink ( a ham radio application). I run Echolink under WINE since there is not Linux ported versions worth a crap. Anyway, I have discovered that the ...

  1. USB Headset

    Hola El Groupo,

    I have a Plantronics head set that I use with Echolink ( a ham radio
    application). I run Echolink under WINE since there is not Linux ported
    versions worth a crap.

    Anyway, I have discovered that the last time I rebooted .. a few weeks ago,
    Anaconda came up ans asked me what to do with a "new device" ... the usb
    Plantronics. I told Annie to keep it.

    Now, lo and behold, the Plantronics is missing. No reboots, or anything ...
    just not there.

    What's a good way to touch the headset and/or bring it back to life?

    Appreciate you help ..quickly .. I have a radio net to keep tonight at 1900
    hours!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Study History - Know the Future

  2. Re: USB Headset

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > Hola El Groupo,
    >
    > I have a Plantronics head set that I use with Echolink ( a ham radio
    > application). I run Echolink under WINE since there is not Linux ported
    > versions worth a crap.
    >
    > Anyway, I have discovered that the last time I rebooted .. a few weeks
    > ago, Anaconda came up ans asked me what to do with a "new device" ... the
    > usb
    > Plantronics. I told Annie to keep it.
    >
    > Now, lo and behold, the Plantronics is missing. No reboots, or anything
    > ... just not there.
    >
    > What's a good way to touch the headset and/or bring it back to life?
    >
    > Appreciate you help ..quickly .. I have a radio net to keep tonight at
    > 1900 hours!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Dave

    I sort of fixed this myself with more tinkering.

    I originally had the headset plugged into one of the MOBO's usb ports. I
    pulled the plug and plugged into the powered port which is on my Dell 21"
    Very Sweet LCD monitor.

    Bingo!

    OK, I am thinking that maybe since the MOBO port is a passive usb (whatever
    that is supposed to be but that is what I read on some usb forum) instead
    of an active usb port ..... but wait, I thought any plug and play port is
    automatically recognized when it is plugged/unplugged.

    I tried a couple of other devices int eh same mobo port. Zilch, zippo and
    zero.

    Broken usb port on the MOBO is what I think now. Dang! No wonder my usb
    printer would never work on that particular jack!

    You know I still have some of that Windows mentality -- blame the software
    for the problem. Linux works, it is the hardware that didn't.

    Duh!

    Cheers,

    Dave

    Study History - Know the Future