Re: Problems network firewalling with fedora - Help

This is a discussion on Re: Problems network firewalling with fedora - Help ; Moe Trin wrote: > Just a little hint - the reason the traffic here is so light is that this > group was replaced with 'comp.os.linux.misc' in 1994, and is mainly > carried now only by news servers who like ...

  1. Re: Problems network firewalling with fedora

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > Just a little hint - the reason the traffic here is so light is that this
    > group was replaced with 'comp.os.linux.misc' in 1994, and is mainly
    > carried now only by news servers who like to claim to have the most
    > number of newsgroups.

    I didn't know that. I had posted another article here for a few days
    ago. Hmm, is comp.os.linux.questions deprecated too? It seems also to be
    light traffic.

    --
    Masanori HATA

  2. Re: Problems network firewalling with fedora

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Masanori HATA wrote:

    >Moe Trin wrote:
    >> Just a little hint - the reason the traffic here is so light is that this
    >> group was replaced with 'comp.os.linux.misc' in 1994

    >I didn't know that. I had posted another article here for a few days
    >ago. Hmm, is comp.os.linux.questions deprecated too? It seems also to be
    >light traffic.

    That was never a sanctioned group, so yes - same problem. On the 15th
    of every month, there is an article posted to news.announce.newgroups,
    news.groups, and news.lists.misc with a subject "List of Big Eight Newsgroups"
    It lists just 17 Linux groups:

    [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.list.03.15.06 | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$

    The 'big eight' doesn't include the 'alt.*' hierarchy, and the groups that
    your news server carries are solely at the discretion of the news admin.

    [compton ~]$ grep '^alt\.' .newsrc | grep -c linux
    94
    [compton ~]$

    Many news admins also carry other groups - often mirrors of mailing lists
    or national language groups, as well as bogus or unofficial groups like
    this one.

    [compton ~]$ grep -c linux ../newsrc
    1120
    [compton ~]$

    I tend to recommend posting to the Big Eight groups, as they have the
    widest coverage. If you are asking a specific question about some distro,
    there is often a distribution specific list, such as 'alt.os.linux.redhat'
    that _may_ be more suitable.

    Old guy

  3. Re: Problems network firewalling with fedora

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > That was never a sanctioned group, so yes - same problem. On the 15th
    > of every month, there is an article posted to news.announce.newgroups,
    > news.groups, and news.lists.misc with a subject "List of Big Eight Newsgroups"
    > It lists just 17 Linux groups:
    >
    > [compton ~]$ grep linux big.8.list.03.15.06 | cut -f1 | column
    > comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    > comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    > comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    > comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    > comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    > comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    > comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    > comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    > comp.os.linux.m68k
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > The 'big eight' doesn't include the 'alt.*' hierarchy, and the groups that
    > your news server carries are solely at the discretion of the news admin.
    >
    > [compton ~]$ grep '^alt\.' .newsrc | grep -c linux
    > 94
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > Many news admins also carry other groups - often mirrors of mailing lists
    > or national language groups, as well as bogus or unofficial groups like
    > this one.
    >
    > [compton ~]$ grep -c linux ../newsrc
    > 1120
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > I tend to recommend posting to the Big Eight groups, as they have the
    > widest coverage. If you are asking a specific question about some distro,
    > there is often a distribution specific list, such as 'alt.os.linux.redhat'
    > that _may_ be more suitable.

    Thank you for useful advices. For the next time I would post to the Big
    Eight groups.

    Regards,

    --
    Masanori HATA