Installation Failure Question - Help

This is a discussion on Installation Failure Question - Help ; Hola El Groupo! Here are a couple of failures for an install of the FlightGear simulator on my FC3 box. ..... Initializing OpenAL sound manager Adding subsystem fx ../fgfs: symbol lookup error: ./fgfs: undefined symbol: alutLoadWAVFile [root@localhost bin]# I d/l ...

  1. Installation Failure Question

    Hola El Groupo!

    Here are a couple of failures for an install of the FlightGear simulator on
    my FC3 box.

    Initializing OpenAL sound manager
    Adding subsystem fx
    ../fgfs: symbol lookup error: ./fgfs: undefined symbol: alutLoadWAVFile
    [root@localhost bin]#

    I d/l and rpm -ivh the OpenAL audio system and dependent library; I am
    wondering if I need to make a hard link between the OpenAL libraries and
    the /opt/games/flight location where the rpm installed the FlightGear
    system?

    If I do, I am not sure on making a "Hardlink" as opposed to doing a PATH.

    The second problem:

    [root@localhost bin]# ./fgfs --log-level=debug
    libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
    libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
    libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x2c
    libGL warning: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x30

    RenderTexture Error: Couldn't find a suitable pixel format.
    bbcache:Initialize failed, RTT not available for 3D clouds

    See here it looks like a problem with the graphics card driver. I have an
    ATI Rage 128 card that other wise works great. My 21" LCD screen is set
    for 1270 and "painting" of graphics including photos is very fast.

    I need some guidance on if I need to reinstall the driver. BTW, I am right
    now using the analog output to the Dell 21" monitor but as soon as I can
    rob a couple of gas stations I'll get a digital card and go digital to the
    display.

    Ideas?

    Cheers,

    Dave

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Study History - Know the Future

  2. Re: Installation Failure Question

    On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:03:41 -0600, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These Runes!:
    > Initializing OpenAL sound manager
    > Adding subsystem fx
    > ./fgfs: symbol lookup error: ./fgfs: undefined symbol: alutLoadWAVFile
    > [root@localhost bin]#
    >
    > I d/l and rpm -ivh the OpenAL audio system and dependent library; I am
    > wondering if I need to make a hard link between the OpenAL libraries and
    > the /opt/games/flight location where the rpm installed the FlightGear
    > system?
    >
    > If I do, I am not sure on making a "Hardlink" as opposed to doing a PATH.

    I've never seen anything like that so I did a look at google. A similar
    problem with a different game was solved by upgrading OpenAL from CVS.

    > See here it looks like a problem with the graphics card driver. I have an
    > ATI Rage 128 card that other wise works great. My 21" LCD screen is set
    > for 1270 and "painting" of graphics including photos is very fast.

    What version of the ATI driver are you using? The evil binary only is
    currently version 8.22.05.

    > I need some guidance on if I need to reinstall the driver. BTW, I am right
    > now using the analog output to the Dell 21" monitor but as soon as I can
    > rob a couple of gas stations I'll get a digital card and go digital to the
    > display.

    I have a 19" Sony LCD driven by an ATI 600X (256MB) with both analog and
    digital connectors. I see no difference with either connection.

    Thorn
    --
    QUOTE OF THE DAY:

    `

  3. Re: Installation Failure Question

    Thorn The Mannamavi wrote:

    > On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:03:41 -0600, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These
    > Runes!:
    >> Initializing OpenAL sound manager
    >> Adding subsystem fx
    >> ./fgfs: symbol lookup error: ./fgfs: undefined symbol: alutLoadWAVFile
    >> [root@localhost bin]#
    >>
    >> I d/l and rpm -ivh the OpenAL audio system and dependent library; I am
    >> wondering if I need to make a hard link between the OpenAL libraries and
    >> the /opt/games/flight location where the rpm installed the FlightGear
    >> system?
    >>
    >> If I do, I am not sure on making a "Hardlink" as opposed to doing a PATH.

    > I've never seen anything like that so I did a look at google. A similar
    > problem with a different game was solved by upgrading OpenAL from CVS.
    >
    >> See here it looks like a problem with the graphics card driver. I have
    >> an
    >> ATI Rage 128 card that other wise works great. My 21" LCD screen is set
    >> for 1270 and "painting" of graphics including photos is very fast.

    > What version of the ATI driver are you using? The evil binary only is
    > currently version 8.22.05.
    >
    >> I need some guidance on if I need to reinstall the driver. BTW, I am
    >> right now using the analog output to the Dell 21" monitor but as soon as
    >> I can rob a couple of gas stations I'll get a digital card and go digital
    >> to the display.

    > I have a 19" Sony LCD driven by an ATI 600X (256MB) with both analog and
    > digital connectors. I see no difference with either connection.
    >
    > Thorn

    Hello Thorn, thanks for the tips. I reinstalled OpenAL lastnight with the
    latest build. No Joy.

    As to the ATI driver, I am looking for that one .. my kernal is 1371 ..
    fairly old .. but I always think "why fix something that isn't broken".

    Looks like I may need to yum upgrade the whole system.

    Thanks!

    Dave

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Study History - Know the Future

  4. Re: Installation Failure Question

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    > Thorn The Mannamavi wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:03:41 -0600, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These
    >> Runes!:
    >>> Initializing OpenAL sound manager
    >>> Adding subsystem fx
    >>> ./fgfs: symbol lookup error: ./fgfs: undefined symbol: alutLoadWAVFile
    >>> [root@localhost bin]#
    >>>
    >>> I d/l and rpm -ivh the OpenAL audio system and dependent library; I am
    >>> wondering if I need to make a hard link between the OpenAL libraries and
    >>> the /opt/games/flight location where the rpm installed the FlightGear
    >>> system?
    >>>
    >>> If I do, I am not sure on making a "Hardlink" as opposed to doing a
    >>> PATH.

    >> I've never seen anything like that so I did a look at google. A similar
    >> problem with a different game was solved by upgrading OpenAL from CVS.
    >>
    >>> See here it looks like a problem with the graphics card driver. I have
    >>> an
    >>> ATI Rage 128 card that other wise works great. My 21" LCD screen is set
    >>> for 1270 and "painting" of graphics including photos is very fast.

    >> What version of the ATI driver are you using? The evil binary only is
    >> currently version 8.22.05.
    >>
    >>> I need some guidance on if I need to reinstall the driver. BTW, I am
    >>> right now using the analog output to the Dell 21" monitor but as soon as
    >>> I can rob a couple of gas stations I'll get a digital card and go
    >>> digital to the display.

    >> I have a 19" Sony LCD driven by an ATI 600X (256MB) with both analog and
    >> digital connectors. I see no difference with either connection.
    >>
    >> Thorn

    > Hello Thorn, thanks for the tips. I reinstalled OpenAL lastnight with the
    > latest build. No Joy.
    >
    > As to the ATI driver, I am looking for that one .. my kernal is 1371 ..
    > fairly old .. but I always think "why fix something that isn't broken".
    >
    > Looks like I may need to yum upgrade the whole system.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Dave

    OK, I went back and reinstalled the rpm's for both; also, I did some more
    Googleizing .. here is something interesting:

    > As it seems that the only useful function in ALUT, alutLoadWAVFile,
    > is seriously flawed in at least two different implementations, it
    > might be a good idea to clearly state that in the documentation or fix
    > them. I wish there was a single portable loadWav function that would
    > actually work.

    The alut functions are indeed a problem -- largely because they were
    not ever included in the spec, and won't be in the new one either.
    Since the alut code in the Windows branch is BSD-licensed, it's
    probably best for you to just re-appropriate that code directly into
    your app, adding better error handling.

    Soooooo ... if the alut function is broken in Linux (e.g. not completing the

    I ran fgfs using the --nosound option but still no luck. Here is what the
    output looks like:

    [root@localhost bin]# ./fgfs --disable-sound --disable-intro-music
    opening file: /usr/share/FlightGear/data/Navaids/carrier_nav.dat
    /usr/share/FlightGear/data/Navaids/TACAN_freq.dat
    RenderTexture Error: Couldn't find a suitable pixel format.
    ../fgfs: symbol lookup error: ./fgfs: undefined symbol: alutLoadWAVFile

    So, to recap:

    I've reinstalled both rpm's fresh from their respective sites;

    I've run fgfs with the --nosound option;

    Tried running with variations of ./fgfs --noalut to see if the developers
    may have put an undocumented hack in the command line;

    Any ideas?

    Cheers,

    Dave

    Study History - Know the Future