When I initially got my gnome desktop up and running (default debian 3.1r1
install), I was glad to see that it would not let you shut the system down
without asking for root's password.

Something has happened since then - I have no idea what - that causes the
shutdown sequence to start of immediately when initiated from a desktop
session (Actions --> Log Out --> Shut down) without requiring root's

Interestingly, I notice that the password is still required if I shutdown or
reboot from the Login Screen Actions menu, but not from the more direct
Actions Log Out menu from a desktop session.

Can anyone help me find out what happened, and how to restore the (to me)
important shutdown password security measure?

Thanks so much in advance for your help.