Symlinks and serving images - Help

This is a discussion on Symlinks and serving images - Help ; Hi, this is a newbie question about symlinks. I'm using a J2EE server to serve up a website. Under the website directory, I created a symlink to point to a directory of jpegs elsewhere on the server. Everything looks fine: ...

  1. Symlinks and serving images

    Hi, this is a newbie question about symlinks. I'm using a J2EE server to
    serve up a website. Under the website directory, I created a symlink to
    point to a directory of jpegs elsewhere on the server. Everything looks
    fine: from the command line I can navigate to the new virtual directory,
    list files, etc.

    But the webserver won't serve any images (or anything else) out of the
    virtual directory. I'm getting broken links or 404s.

    So somehow the webserver is treating a virtual directory differently from a
    real one. Is this a webserver thing? (I'm using Jetty) Is it a security
    thing? (I gave the user who launched the webserver full rights to the
    directory). Or is it something else?

  2. Re: Symlinks and serving images

    Chris wrote:
    > Hi, this is a newbie question about symlinks. I'm using a J2EE server to
    > serve up a website. Under the website directory, I created a symlink to
    > point to a directory of jpegs elsewhere on the server. Everything looks
    > fine: from the command line I can navigate to the new virtual directory,
    > list files, etc.
    >
    > But the webserver won't serve any images (or anything else) out of the
    > virtual directory. I'm getting broken links or 404s.
    >
    > So somehow the webserver is treating a virtual directory differently from a
    > real one. Is this a webserver thing? (I'm using Jetty) Is it a security
    > thing? (I gave the user who launched the webserver full rights to the
    > directory). Or is it something else?

    I'm not as familiar with Jetty but Apache has a "FollowSymLinks"
    directive that controls the server's ability to use symlinks. You may
    want to check for a similar setting.
    -Ken

+ Reply to Thread