Multi-boot question, Grub - Help

This is a discussion on Multi-boot question, Grub - Help ; Right now, I have a dual-boot system with Win98 and RedHat 9. Jerry Pournelle ( http://www.jerrypournelle.com for those of you who aren't familiar with him.) is upgrading and looking for a home for the old box. I'm going to be ...

  1. Multi-boot question, Grub

    Right now, I have a dual-boot system with Win98 and RedHat 9. Jerry
    Pournelle (http://www.jerrypournelle.com for those of you who aren't
    familiar with him.) is upgrading and looking for a home for the old
    box. I'm going to be getting it, eventually. It's currently set up
    with XP, probably professional. What I want to do is move my current
    drive over as a second hard drive and set up Grub to boot all three
    systems. That way, I can use some old DOS programs and games that may
    not run under XP. What I'd like to know is the best way to do this.
    I have the install CDs for RedHat, so I could "reinstall" and just
    have it (I think) re-do Grub for me. From what I can gather, the 98
    system wouldn't even "see" the XP drive, but that's not a problem
    because it couldn't understand the file structure anyway. Does
    anybody have any info, or a pointer to Usefull Information?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  2. Re: Multi-boot question, Grub

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 19:30:44 +0000, Joe Zeff wrote:

    > Right now, I have a dual-boot system with Win98 and RedHat 9. Jerry
    > Pournelle (http://www.jerrypournelle.com for those of you who aren't
    > familiar with him.) is upgrading and looking for a home for the old
    > box. I'm going to be getting it, eventually. It's currently set up
    > with XP, probably professional. What I want to do is move my current
    > drive over as a second hard drive and set up Grub to boot all three
    > systems. That way, I can use some old DOS programs and games that may
    > not run under XP. What I'd like to know is the best way to do this.
    > I have the install CDs for RedHat, so I could "reinstall" and just
    > have it (I think) re-do Grub for me. From what I can gather, the 98
    > system wouldn't even "see" the XP drive, but that's not a problem
    > because it couldn't understand the file structure anyway. Does
    > anybody have any info, or a pointer to Usefull Information?

    Move the XP drive, intact, without modification, to the slave position on
    the first IDE controller, or the master position on the second IDE
    controller. Install your present drive as the master, on the first IDE
    controller. Boot to Linux, and as root, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf, and add
    a stanza for Windows XP as such;

    title Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    This will show up in grub's menu, the next time you boot. Your original
    Win98 will boot from your present Windows stanza, as it does now, and XP
    will boot from the new stanza.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a

  3. Re: Multi-boot question, Grub

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:43:23 GMT, imotgm
    wrote:

    >This will show up in grub's menu, the next time you boot. Your original
    >Win98 will boot from your present Windows stanza, as it does now, and XP
    >will boot from the new stanza.

    Thanx! I'd gotten the impression from the grub documentation that if
    I had the XP drive second, the only way to make it bootable would be
    to hide the other drive completely.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  4. Re: Multi-boot question, Grub

    On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 19:32:46 +0000, Joe Zeff wrote:

    > On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:43:23 GMT, imotgm
    > wrote:
    >

    >>This will show up in grub's menu, the next time you boot. Your original
    >>Win98 will boot from your present Windows stanza, as it does now, and XP
    >>will boot from the new stanza.

    > Thanx! I'd gotten the impression from the grub documentation that if
    > I had the XP drive second, the only way to make it bootable would be
    > to hide the other drive completely.

    My drives are in removable drive bays. Just for "play" purposes, I put
    Windows drives on /dev/hdc, /dev/hde, and /dev/hdg, put stanzas in for
    each, and all booted as if they were on /dev/hda, and all of the Windows
    partitions, on all drives, were accessable from the running version. Win98
    can not see NTFS, so the test installs were all on FAT32 partitions. Two
    of the drives had Win98, Win2K as dual boot, and one had Win2K only, so I
    was able to boot five separate Windows installations. Hiding a partition
    is only necessary, if two Windows installations are present on two primary
    partitions on the same hard drive.

    --
    imotgm
    "Lost? Lost? I've never been lost... Been a tad confused for a
    month or two, but never lost."

+ Reply to Thread