is this floppy recoverable? - Help

This is a discussion on is this floppy recoverable? - Help ; Hi. Running FC4 on an Intel box ... I have a floppy, on which there's an ext2 filesystem, that had been working fine up until today. I inserted the floppy, and the following dialogue ensued: $ mount /media/floppy/ mount: wrong ...

  1. is this floppy recoverable?

    Hi.

    Running FC4 on an Intel box ...

    I have a floppy, on which there's an ext2 filesystem, that had been working
    fine up until today.

    I inserted the floppy, and the following dialogue ensued:

    $ mount /media/floppy/
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
    missing codepage or other error
    dmesg | tail or so

    Some additional data points:

    (1) dmesg gave me no useful information.

    (2) The appropriate line in /etc/fstab is
    /dev/fd0 /media/floppy auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,utf8,managed 0 0

    (3) I tried this on several different Linux boxes, all with the same
    results.

    Suggestions? Or is this floppy irretrievably fried?

    --
    Art Werschulz (8-{)} "Metaphors be with you." -- bumper sticker
    GCS/M (GAT): d? -p+ c++ l u+(-) e--- m* s n+ h f g+ w+ t++ r- y?

  2. Re: is this floppy recoverable?

    Art Werschulz wrote:

    > Suggestions? Or is this floppy irretrievably fried?

    Floppy discs go bad for too many reasons, which is why they are
    disappearing. If you were keeping something important on it I surely hope
    you kept a working backup of it.

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

+ Reply to Thread