Ferdora Core 4 cannot read superblock - Help

This is a discussion on Ferdora Core 4 cannot read superblock - Help ; Dear all, I've been using my Fedora Core 4 for months. Recently, after doing the up2date, suddenly the machine panic and hang up there. When rebooting, it keeps on saying "cannot read superblock". When I use "linux rescue", I can ...

  1. Ferdora Core 4 cannot read superblock

    Dear all,

    I've been using my Fedora Core 4 for months. Recently, after doing the
    up2date, suddenly the machine panic and hang up there. When rebooting,
    it keeps on saying "cannot read superblock". When I use "linux rescue",
    I can only mount /dev/hda1 (/boot). The /dev/hda2 seems having problem.
    When I do "fsck -f /dev/hda2", it says "bad magic number in
    super-block while trying to open /dev/hda2" and ask me to do "e2fsck -b
    8193 ". When I issue "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2", it keeps on
    reporting "bad magic number in super-block". I've tried "-f" and it
    doesn't work either. I cannot mount the file system or booting up the
    system.

    Do you have any clue? Thanks.

    Regards,
    Murphy

  2. Re: Ferdora Core 4 cannot read superblock

    Murphy Wong wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I've been using my Fedora Core 4 for months. Recently, after doing the
    > up2date, suddenly the machine panic and hang up there. When rebooting,
    > it keeps on saying "cannot read superblock". When I use "linux rescue",
    > I can only mount /dev/hda1 (/boot). The /dev/hda2 seems having problem.
    > When I do "fsck -f /dev/hda2", it says "bad magic number in super-block
    > while trying to open /dev/hda2" and ask me to do "e2fsck -b 8193
    > ". When I issue "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2", it keeps on
    > reporting "bad magic number in super-block". I've tried "-f" and it
    > doesn't work either. I cannot mount the file system or booting up the
    > system.
    >
    > Do you have any clue? Thanks.

    Chances are you will have to restore all of /dev/hda2 from your backup and
    order a new hard drive before things get worse. This assumes you did not
    screw up that partition yourself and running up2date was only a coincidence.

    Notice first, though, that the backup superblocks are placed at regular
    locations on the partition, but those locations may not be in multiples of
    8192. I seem to recall that on my RHEL3 system, they are at multiples of
    32768, but I tend to make quite large partitions, rarely less than 4 GBytes,
    and sometimes a lot more. So try "e2fsck -b 32769 " first.

    ^^-^^ 05:00:00 up 20 days, 19:47, 4 users, load average: 4.15, 4.16, 4.17

  3. Re: Ferdora Core 4 cannot read superblock

    In article <11sups8kephs405@corp.supernews.com>,
    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    :
    :Notice first, though, that the backup superblocks are placed at regular
    :locations on the partition, but those locations may not be in multiples of
    :8192. I seem to recall that on my RHEL3 system, they are at multiples of
    :32768, but I tend to make quite large partitions, rarely less than 4 GBytes,
    :and sometimes a lot more. So try "e2fsck -b 32769 " first.

    You can use mke2fs with the "-n" option to find the default locations
    of the backup superblocks.

  4. Re: Ferdora Core 4 cannot read superblock

    On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 12:48:36 +0800, Murphy Wong wrote:

    > Dear all,
    >
    > I've been using my Fedora Core 4 for months. Recently, after doing the
    > up2date, suddenly the machine panic and hang up there. When rebooting,
    > it keeps on saying "cannot read superblock". When I use "linux rescue",
    > I can only mount /dev/hda1 (/boot). The /dev/hda2 seems having problem.
    > When I do "fsck -f /dev/hda2", it says "bad magic number in
    > super-block while trying to open /dev/hda2" and ask me to do "e2fsck -b
    > 8193 ". When I issue "e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/hda2", it keeps on
    > reporting "bad magic number in super-block". I've tried "-f" and it
    > doesn't work either. I cannot mount the file system or booting up the
    > system.
    >
    > Do you have any clue? Thanks.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Murphy

    I suspect that your disk has died. Your disk manufacturer has a diagnostic
    CD on their website which will allow you to examine the SMART status of
    your drive. There are also Linux smart tools that can examine the SMART
    status. There is a project that puts the Linux SMART tools on a floppy
    which sounds convenient assuming your machine has a floppy drive,

    http://smartlinux.sourceforge.net/

  5. Re: Ferdora Core 4 cannot read superblock

    In article ,
    General Schvantzkoph wrote:

    >I suspect that your disk has died. Your disk manufacturer has a diagnostic
    >CD on their website which will allow you to examine the SMART status of
    >your drive.

    But his /boot is on the same drive.

+ Reply to Thread