utter novice question about cd-rom - Help

This is a discussion on utter novice question about cd-rom - Help ; Here's a problem i havent been able to find an answer to in the online docs: When I try to mount the cd-rom as such: mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660 my zipslack installation claims that /dev/cdrom is not a valid ...

  1. utter novice question about cd-rom

    Here's a problem i havent been able to
    find an answer to in the online docs:

    When I try to mount the cd-rom as such:

    mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660

    my zipslack installation claims that /dev/cdrom
    is not a valid block device.

    Do i need to find some DOS drivers for the
    cdrom and install those at the DOS level
    before running loadlin?

    --
    Buzzard
    (curious about other OS's besides win98)

  2. Re: utter novice question about cd-rom

    On Sun, 08 Jan 2006, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , Buzzard wrote:

    >Here's a problem i havent been able to
    >find an answer to in the online docs:
    >
    >When I try to mount the cd-rom as such:
    >
    >mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660

    mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

    but that assumes that /dev/cdrom is pointing at the location of your CD
    drive. On this system, the drive is the master on the second IDE channel
    which would be /dev/hdc.

    [compton ~]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Apr 17 2005 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
    [compton ~]$

    >my zipslack installation claims that /dev/cdrom
    >is not a valid block device.

    Your drive may be located elsewhere (hdb is primary slave, hdd is secondary
    slave), or even be a different type - like SCSI, or be attached to a
    proprietary bus card (like the ancient Sony CDU-31A/CDU-33A), or to a sound
    card like the old Soundblasters.

    >Do i need to find some DOS drivers for the cdrom and install those at
    >the DOS level before running loadlin?

    No, DOS drivers don't work with Linux (or any other operating system),
    because when Linux (or what-ever) is booted, it replaces DOS as the
    operating system.

    >(curious about other OS's besides win98)

    http://www.distrowatch.com/

    There are over three hundred different Linux distributions. A distribution
    is the combination of a kernel, and supporting tools and libraries used by
    the kernel, and a host of applications.

    There are also other UNIX and UNIX clones that will operate on PC hardware,
    such as the *BSD families (FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD), and a commercial UNIX
    called Solaris-x86.

    The news group you have posted to "comp.os.linux.help" was replaced on
    many news servers in 1994, with the newsgroup comp.os.linux.misc. If you
    point your news tool at news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, or
    news.lists.misc, there is a posting on the 15th of every month listing
    the so-called "Big Eight" newsgroups that all news servers should carry.
    There are 17 Linux groups listed

    [compton ~]$ zgrep linux ../valid.newsgroups.12.15.05.gz | cut -f1 | column
    comp.os.linux.advocacy comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.alpha comp.os.linux.networking
    comp.os.linux.announce comp.os.linux.portable
    comp.os.linux.answers comp.os.linux.powerpc
    comp.os.linux.development.apps comp.os.linux.security
    comp.os.linux.development.system comp.os.linux.setup
    comp.os.linux.embedded comp.os.linux.x
    comp.os.linux.hardware comp.os.linux.xbox
    comp.os.linux.m68k
    [compton ~]$

    Your news server probably also carries a lot of other groups besides the
    Big Eight. These probably include the 'alt.os.linux.* hierarchy and many
    others. Use your news reader to query the server for a list that it carries
    (which might be anywhere from 20 to 120 thousand groups). See also the
    'http://groups.google.com server, but be aware that some people filter out
    postings from google as "noise".

    Old guy

  3. Re: utter novice question about cd-rom

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > but that assumes that /dev/cdrom is pointing at the location of your CD
    > drive. On this system, the drive is the master on the second IDE channel
    > which would be /dev/hdc.

    Cool, that was it; it'll access the CD-Rom now.
    (I didn't know about links)

    Now, if I can just get it to use the modem,
    (It might be a winmodem, bleah)

    And I haven't even tried to print yet...

    Thanx for the help; i may be back

    --
    Buzzard

  4. Re: utter novice question about cd-rom

    http://tldp.org/guides.html User-Guide and System-Admin-Guide

    >Now, if I can just get it to use the modem,
    >(It might be a winmodem, bleah)

    zipslack... I'd have to assume that you will find details in the boot
    data in /var/log/messages. Look to see what the kernel's serial driver
    sees. You also want to look at the Modem-HOWTO

    338050 Jun 17 2005 Modem-HOWTO

    which if it's not on your system (possibly in /usr/share/HOWTO/) should
    be widely available on the web. A good place to start would be the LDP.
    http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html.

    >And I haven't even tried to print yet...

    That can be a joy, but again there is a couple of HOWTOs. Start with

    808501 Jul 12 2005 Hardware-HOWTO
    258831 Aug 4 2003 Printing-HOWTO

    >Thanx for the help; i may be back

    As mentioned, you will probably have more help available in the official
    comp.os.linux.* groups. Your news server probable also carries
    alt.os.linux.slackware, but don't forget that http://groups.google.com/
    has the newsgroups archived and searchable. You can often find your answer
    in minutes, rather than waiting for your article to trickle around the
    world, someone to read it who can help, and then for the delay while that
    post trickles back around the world to you.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread