why doesn't my process start at boot? - Help

This is a discussion on why doesn't my process start at boot? - Help ; I'm trying to start a service at boot time (SuSE 9.3). I have a startup script in /etc/init.d, and I have a symlink to it in /etc/init.d/rc3.d (since I'm starting in runlevel 3): linux:/etc/init.d/rc3.d # ls -lAF S18* lrwxrwxrwx 1 ...

  1. why doesn't my process start at boot?

    I'm trying to start a service at boot time (SuSE 9.3). I have a startup
    script in /etc/init.d, and I have a symlink to it in /etc/init.d/rc3.d
    (since I'm starting in runlevel 3):

    linux:/etc/init.d/rc3.d # ls -lAF S18*
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jan 12 08:48 S18asterisk -> ../asterisk*

    If I execute this symlink (or the actual script) with a "start" argument
    from the commandline, it starts just fine. But at boot time it is skipped.
    I'm not seeing any errors on the screen during the boot process.
    Everything else in rc3.d is starting just fine. What am I missing??

  2. Re: why doesn't my process start at boot? (solved)

    Dan Miller wrote in

    > I'm trying to start a service at boot time (SuSE 9.3). I have a
    > startup script in /etc/init.d, and I have a symlink to it in
    > /etc/init.d/rc3.d (since I'm starting in runlevel 3):
    >
    > linux:/etc/init.d/rc3.d # ls -lAF S18*
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jan 12 08:48 S18asterisk -> ../asterisk*
    >
    > If I execute this symlink (or the actual script) with a "start"
    > argument from the commandline, it starts just fine. But at boot time
    > it is skipped. I'm not seeing any errors on the screen during the
    > boot process. Everything else in rc3.d is starting just fine. What
    > am I missing??

    Found it!!

    # insserv -v

    I don't know how I was supposed to know about this, other than stumbling
    around google until I tripped over it, but trip over it I did...