Linux good idea for my notebook? - Help

This is a discussion on Linux good idea for my notebook? - Help ; Hello Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this query (please advise if there is a more appropriate one - thanks):- I use and like Firefox 1.5 & Thunderbird 1.07 on an old but still "OK" notebook computer ...

  1. Linux good idea for my notebook?

    Hello

    Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this query (please advise if
    there is a more appropriate one - thanks):-

    I use and like Firefox 1.5 & Thunderbird 1.07 on an old but still "OK"
    notebook computer (Compaq Armada 7400 - Pentium II, Celeron 400, 192 MB
    RAM). I cannot justify replacing it or upgrading.

    It uses Windows 98 (original not SE), a licensed copy, which is now
    becoming a nuisance, being so old.

    I know nothing about Linux. Is it likely to be suitable/better for the
    notebook?

    Appreciate any comments.
    --
    Regards
    Echy

    Greetings from Melbourne, Australia
    www.visitvictoria.com.au

  2. Re: Linux good idea for my notebook?

    There is no doubt moving away from Win98 will have huge benefits. On a
    personal note I'd give it a go! The worst scenario is you'll have to
    re-install Win98!

    Fedora o/s stipulates the following minimum requirements. (see
    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/releas...-hardware-reqs for
    full listing):

    Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
    Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better

    Custom Installation (Minimal): 620MB
    Server: 1.1GB
    Personal Desktop: 2.3GB
    Workstation: 3.0GB
    Custom Installation (Everything): 6.9GB

    --
    harryedwards

  3. Re: Linux good idea for my notebook?

    On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 12:37:55 +1100, Echy wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this query (please advise if
    > there is a more appropriate one - thanks):-
    >
    > I use and like Firefox 1.5 & Thunderbird 1.07 on an old but still "OK"
    > notebook computer (Compaq Armada 7400 - Pentium II, Celeron 400, 192 MB
    > RAM). I cannot justify replacing it or upgrading.
    >
    > It uses Windows 98 (original not SE), a licensed copy, which is now
    > becoming a nuisance, being so old.
    >
    > I know nothing about Linux. Is it likely to be suitable/better for the
    > notebook?
    >
    > Appreciate any comments.

    I cannot comment specifically about running Firefox v1.5 or Thunderbird
    v1.07, as I don't use them, but I can give you a heads up on how well
    Fedora Core 4 will run with your laptop's hardware.

    Assuming you have sufficient hard disk space to install the OS to, while
    leaving enough room for your data files & swap space, you should just
    squeak by for the minimum recommended specs to run a graphical desktop
    installation of Fedora Core 4.

    The only part of your hardware that I'm not 100% sure about, would be the
    4MB video card. A 4MB video card may be a little too under powered for
    FC4 when using Gnome as your desktop manager. Perhaps someone else can
    help shed some extra light on this part.

    I can however tell you from personal experience, that running Fedora Core
    4 on a Celeron 400, with 256MB RAM, a 40GB hard drive & an 8MB integrated
    AGP video card, works pretty smoothly - as long as you limit yourself to
    about 5 or 6 apps running concurrently. I say this as those are the specs
    of my eMachine desktop PC, which I use on a daily basis (such as right
    now, as I write this post).

    Overall Gnome runs pretty smoothly, but gets sluggish when some apps get
    a bit intensive with the CPU, RAM &/or swap. However most of the
    time, while running several apps concurrently [see list below], you should
    only see a hint of lag in the system's responsiveness.

    Apps Running:
    browser (Firefox v1.0.7)
    email client (Evolution v2.2.3)
    newsgroup reader (Pan v0.14.2.91)
    spam filter (SpamBayes POP3 Proxy v1.1a1)
    IM client (Gaim v1.5.0-9.fc4)

    Only when playing MP3s (via XMMS v1.2.10) in addition to the above
    apps, would you really see a strain on the system, as the CPU load, swap
    space usage and hard disk activity increase simultaneously.

    I would say backup your Windows 98 data and give FC4 a try. As I believe
    that if you limit what packages you install to FC4, only run the minimum
    required apps/services & limit the number of apps running concurrently
    on your desktop to 5 or 6, your laptop should run FC4 pretty well.

    Anyway, I hope this helps...

  4. Re: Linux good idea for my notebook?

    Echy wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for this query (please advise if
    > there is a more appropriate one - thanks):-
    >
    > I use and like Firefox 1.5 & Thunderbird 1.07 on an old but still "OK"
    > notebook computer (Compaq Armada 7400 - Pentium II, Celeron 400, 192 MB
    > RAM). I cannot justify replacing it or upgrading.
    >
    > It uses Windows 98 (original not SE), a licensed copy, which is now
    > becoming a nuisance, being so old.
    >
    > I know nothing about Linux. Is it likely to be suitable/better for the
    > notebook?
    >
    > Appreciate any comments.

    Many thanks, Harry & James for such comprehensive & helpful advice.

    I am going to take the plunge - after a full backup.
    --
    Regards
    Echy

+ Reply to Thread