book recommendation to install AND harden/secure LAMP (linux, apache, mysql, php? - Help

This is a discussion on book recommendation to install AND harden/secure LAMP (linux, apache, mysql, php? - Help ; I've been programming php for a while and now need to learn to install & harden a LAMP server. Please recommend a book that takes someon who doesn't know much about Linux and walks them step-by-step through installing and hardening ...

  1. book recommendation to install AND harden/secure LAMP (linux, apache, mysql, php?

    I've been programming php for a while and now need to learn to install &
    harden a LAMP server.

    Please recommend a book that takes someon who doesn't know much about Linux
    and walks them step-by-step through installing and hardening LAMP.

    Many thanks.

  2. Re: book recommendation to install AND harden/secure LAMP (linux,apache, mysql, php?

    NotGiven wrote:
    > I've been programming php for a while and now need to learn to install &
    > harden a LAMP server.
    >
    > Please recommend a book that takes someon who doesn't know much about Linux
    > and walks them step-by-step through installing and hardening LAMP.
    >
    > Many thanks.

    you dont harden a lamp, you harden the platform its on, and then make
    sure you program in a secure way.
    best bet is setup the system as if it were a firewall, with iptables in
    place to lockdown all unnessasary access routes, inetd tuned to minimum,
    etc, and all directory permitions and setuid files reduced to the
    minimum needed to run the service.
    run the apache daemon as a non root user and for even harder security
    place it into a chrooted environment.
    there will still be the bugs that php and apache will expose but these
    are not easy to detect in advance so you just need to make sure you keep
    up with the security bug releases .

    I have written a guide on how to lock down a slackware or mandrake
    system as a firewall, its not exactly what you want, but it should
    provide you with the building blocks.

    find it at my website under magazine along with other linux/windows
    stuff of interest.

    website www in from of email

    regards peter

+ Reply to Thread