distribution - Help

This is a discussion on distribution - Help ; What distribution do you recomand me to start with? Best regards, karri.eisele@bankarea.com master@poweroversoftware.com http://www.poweroversoftware.com...

  1. distribution

    What distribution do you recomand me to start with?

    Best regards,
    karri.eisele@bankarea.com
    master@poweroversoftware.com
    http://www.poweroversoftware.com

  2. Re: distribution

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    <20648$438dc7b6$d99c5301$14665@allthenewsgroups.com>,
    karri.eisele@balcanicsoft.com wrote:

    >What distribution do you recomand me to start with?

    One that includes a web browser suitable for searching groups.google.com
    to see how often this question comes up.

    Got any friends using Linux? Use the one they do. Incidentally, that
    also applies if your friends are using {Open|Free|Net}BSD. That way,
    you have someone you can talk to. Also check to see if there are some
    Linux User Groups in your area. Same reason.

    Don't have a friend or usergroup? OK - what flavor of ice cream do
    you like? Favorite car or truck? Favorite cola or beer? Obviously,
    you know the best one of those, right? Does everyone agree with your
    choices? ;-) Try a site like distrowatch, sunsite (now called
    ibiblio.org) or the Linux Documentation Project.

    http://www.DistroWatch.com/
    http://ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/
    http://en.tldp.org/
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/ (a bit dated)

    Used to was. people were told to go to a GPL CD house like linuxmall,
    lsl, or cheapbytes, and get what was called a sampler or six pack.
    This was four to seven different distributions on a bunch of CDs and
    cost about $2 a CD. The documentation you needed was on each of the
    CDs. We've sorta gotten away from that (though you can still do it)
    because the distributions have gotten so large (7 CDs is not unusual)
    and the printed documentation is generally more usable. But the reason
    for the suggestion was so that _you_ could make up your _own_ mind.
    Otherwise, learn to like $FOO ice cream, and drive a $BAR, while drinking
    $BAZ ;-)

    You can also go to a bookstore or library, and get a book that comes with
    a (set of) CD(s). The major problem with this is that the included GPL
    distribution tends to be near (or beyond) end of life. The DistroWatch
    web site will give you a clue what is current. Many distributors tend to
    release a new version _about_ twice a year, and the old ones loose
    support after perhaps two years. Otherwise, the book route is a very
    good way to go. Dead trees tend to have a lot of specific information
    related to the version they come with.

    Old guy

  3. Re: distribution

    karri.eisele@balcanicsoft.com wrote:
    > What distribution do you recomand me to start with?

    Depends on what you're looking for. The major distributions each have
    their own advantages to them.

    -Slackware is great on old hardware and is highly customizable due to
    its vast selection of software and absence of "default" programs.
    -Debian has a huge online collection of binary packages and an easy
    package maintenance system.
    -Fedora, Mandrake, and SUSE have graphical installers and configuration
    tools which make them very user-friendly.

    http://www.usenet.com

  4. Re: distribution

    karri.eisele@balcanicsoft.com wrote:
    > What distribution do you recomand me to start with?
    >

    > Best regards,
    > karri.eisele@bankarea.com
    > master@poweroversoftware.com
    > http://www.poweroversoftware.com

    start with mandrake/mandriva 2006 if your a real novice and when you
    feel confident move to slackware 10.2.
    regards peter

+ Reply to Thread