filesystem - Help

This is a discussion on filesystem - Help ; hello everyone. I am rather new to linux world and I was just trying to get a better feel for the organization of the filesystem. I remember than when you install software packages in ms windows it usually creates appropriate ...

  1. filesystem

    hello everyone. I am rather new to linux world and I was just trying to
    get a better feel for the organization of the filesystem. I remember than
    when you install software packages in ms windows it usually creates
    appropriate directory in Windows/Program Files but when you install in
    linx packages such as *.tar.gz or *.rpm where is the best place to
    put/extract them? so all users can run them? and do I have to install as
    root if all users should be able to use them?

    thanks

  2. Re: filesystem

    In Windows, files go all over the place. Main application code might in C
    \Programs and Files\Vendor\Application, but resources and libraries get
    spread all over C:\WINNT and also C:\Documents and Settings

    In Linux, if using an RPM, there's no "unpacking" and all the paths for
    installation are already spelled out in the RPM for you (some packages are
    "relocatable", so you can specify a prefix path for installation, but
    that's it).

    ..tar.gz files are simple archives of source code and the general practice in
    Linux is to have those packages install themselves under /usr/local, but
    the person that compiles it can supply any path they want at compile time.
    Where you actually "unpack" the source archive is completely irrelevent.

    --
    Remove '.nospam' from e-mail address to reply by e-mail

  3. Re: filesystem

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    , ncc1701e wrote:

    >I am rather new to linux world and I was just trying to get a better
    >feel for the organization of the filesystem. I remember than when you
    >install software packages in ms windows it usually creates appropriate
    >directory in Windows/Program Files but when you install in linx
    >packages such as *.tar.gz or *.rpm where is the best place to
    >put/extract them? so all users can run them?

    Start here:

    Linux Standard Base http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/
    Filesystem Hierarchy Standard http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

    Then grab the 'Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy' guide from the LDP at
    http://tldp.org/guides.html which has a few inaccuracies, but is otherwise
    a good and easy document to read. There are several other guides that
    would be of great interest there as well, such as (from an old
    directory listing):

    drwxrwxr-x 2 gferg ldp 4096 Feb 19 2004 Pocket-Linux-Guide
    drwxrwsr-x 3 gferg ldp 4096 Feb 19 1999 install-guide
    drwxrwxr-x 2 gferg ldp 4096 May 25 08:31 intro-linux
    drwxrwsr-x 4 gferg ldp 4096 Jul 26 10:11 system-admin-guide
    drwxrwsr-x 3 gferg ldp 4096 Feb 14 1999 users-guide

    >do I have to install as root if all users should be able to use them?

    Unless you _REALLY_ know what you are doing, yes. It is possible
    to allow other users access to file in _your_ home bin directory, but
    in nearly all circumstances, this is an incredibly bad idea.

    Old guy

  4. Re: filesystem

    Moe Trin wrote:
    > On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    > , ncc1701e wrote:
    >

    >>I am rather new to linux world and I was just trying to get a better
    >>feel for the organization of the filesystem. I remember than when you
    >>install software packages in ms windows it usually creates appropriate
    >>directory in Windows/Program Files but when you install in linx
    >>packages such as *.tar.gz or *.rpm where is the best place to
    >>put/extract them? so all users can run them?

    > Start here:
    >
    > Linux Standard Base http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/
    > Filesystem Hierarchy Standard http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
    >
    > Then grab the 'Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy' guide from the LDP at
    > http://tldp.org/guides.html which has a few inaccuracies, but is otherwise
    > a good and easy document to read. There are several other guides that
    > would be of great interest there as well, such as (from an old
    > directory listing):
    >
    > drwxrwxr-x 2 gferg ldp 4096 Feb 19 2004 Pocket-Linux-Guide
    > drwxrwsr-x 3 gferg ldp 4096 Feb 19 1999 install-guide
    > drwxrwxr-x 2 gferg ldp 4096 May 25 08:31 intro-linux
    > drwxrwsr-x 4 gferg ldp 4096 Jul 26 10:11 system-admin-guide
    > drwxrwsr-x 3 gferg ldp 4096 Feb 14 1999 users-guide
    >

    >>do I have to install as root if all users should be able to use them?

    > Unless you _REALLY_ know what you are doing, yes. It is possible
    > to allow other users access to file in _your_ home bin directory, but
    > in nearly all circumstances, this is an incredibly bad idea.
    >
    > Old guy

    /usr/local used to be a good standard but its a bit outdated .
    as i remember sun started a standard of /opt/packagename and many people
    have followed it, in the linux arena as well.
    regards peter

+ Reply to Thread