Real Player won't - Help

This is a discussion on Real Player won't - Help ; Downloaded and installed RealPlayer10 for linux from real.com On first attempt to run program, got the following message: "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5 cannot open shared file." Any advice as to how to fix this? Tnx...

  1. Real Player won't

    Downloaded and installed RealPlayer10 for linux from real.com On first
    attempt to run program, got the following message:

    "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5 cannot open shared
    file."

    Any advice as to how to fix this? Tnx

  2. Re: Real Player won't

    Bruce Barbour wrote:

    > Downloaded and installed RealPlayer10 for linux from real.com On first
    > attempt to run program, got the following message:
    >
    > "error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5 cannot open shared
    > file."
    >
    > Any advice as to how to fix this? Tnx

    According to your header;

    rpm -e RealPlayer

    rpm -Uvh
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...fc4.2.i386.rpm

    The above command is one long line with a space after the first line and
    before the second line.

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: Real Player won't

    Lenard wrote:
    > Bruce Barbour wrote:
    >

    >>Downloaded and installed RealPlayer10 for linux from real.com On first
    >>attempt to run program, got the following message:
    >>
    >>"error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5 cannot open shared
    >>file."
    >>
    >>Any advice as to how to fix this? Tnx

    > According to your header;
    >
    > rpm -e RealPlayer
    >
    > rpm -Uvh
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...fc4.2.i386.rpm
    >
    > The above command is one long line with a space after the first line and
    > before the second line.

    Assume you mean to remove RealPlayer with rpm -e first. Did so and got
    following: "error:can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/_db.000"
    Assume you mean to remove, download and install? What next re error? Tnx

  4. Re: Real Player won't

    Bruce Barbour wrote:

    > Assume you mean to remove RealPlayer with rpm -e first. Did so and got
    > following: "error:can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/_db.000"
    > Assume you mean to remove, download and install? What next re error? Tnx

    Remove and install as root or equivlent(sudo). Which brings up the question,
    how did you install RealPlayer in the first place???

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
    Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005

  5. Re: Real Player won't

    Lenard wrote:
    > Bruce Barbour wrote:
    >

    >>Assume you mean to remove RealPlayer with rpm -e first. Did so and got
    >>following: "error:can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/_db.000"
    >>Assume you mean to remove, download and install? What next re error? Tnx

    > Remove and install as root or equivlent(sudo). Which brings up the question,
    > how did you install RealPlayer in the first place???

    Downloaded linux version from real.com and followed installation
    instructions - chmod etc. ./ I'll remove as root and get back to you.

    Oops, look at this!
    [orion@localhost ~]$ rpm -e RealPlayer
    error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000
    [orion@localhost ~]$ su
    Password:
    [root@localhost orion]# rpm -e RealPlayer
    ls: /usr/local//share/locale: No such file or directory
    [root@localhost orion]# whereis RealPlayer
    RealPlayer: /usr/local/RealPlayer
    [root@localhost orion]# cd /usr/local
    [root@localhost local]# rpm -e RealPlayer
    error: package RealPlayer is not installed
    [root@localhost local]#

    I'll get back to you!! Tnx

  6. Re: Real Player won't

    Bruce Barbour wrote:

    > Lenard wrote:
    >> Bruce Barbour wrote:
    >>

    >>>Assume you mean to remove RealPlayer with rpm -e first. Did so and got
    >>>following: "error:can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/_db.000"
    >>>Assume you mean to remove, download and install? What next re error? Tnx

    >> Remove and install as root or equivlent(sudo). Which brings up the
    >> question, how did you install RealPlayer in the first place???
    >>

    > Downloaded linux version from real.com and followed installation
    > instructions - chmod etc. ./ I'll remove as root and get back to you.

    OK, here's the difference, you downloaded and installed the Realplayer bin
    file instead of the rpm package of it (scroll down a bit at the RealPlayer
    site to find it). You could have saved both of us a little bit of time and
    effort with this little tidbit knowledge, but that's besides the point
    now....

    > Oops, look at this!
    > [orion@localhost ~]$ rpm -e RealPlayer
    > error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000
    > [orion@localhost ~]$ su
    > Password:
    > [root@localhost orion]# rpm -e RealPlayer

    You did not install RealPlayer via rpm so you cannot remove it either via
    rpm.....

    > ls: /usr/local//share/locale: No such file or directory
    > [root@localhost orion]# whereis RealPlayer
    > RealPlayer: /usr/local/RealPlayer

    Simply delete this directory structure and any hidden .realplayer
    directories in both your home directory and root's home directory if you
    want. You can install the HelixPlayer rpm via rpm.

    FYI: you really do not need RealPlayer or HelixPlayer for Linux, mplayer
    (much better IMHO) and the mplayerplug-in (a plugin for Firefox/Mozilla)
    take care of this issue, which is what I use.

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."
    Andrew Moss, Microsoft's senior director of technical policy, 2005

  7. Re: Real Player won't

    Lenard wrote:
    > Bruce Barbour wrote:

    >>>Remove and install as root or equivlent(sudo). Which brings up the
    >>>question, how did you install RealPlayer in the first place???
    >>>

    >>Downloaded linux version from real.com and followed installation
    >>instructions - chmod etc. ./ I'll remove as root and get back to you.

    > OK, here's the difference, you downloaded and installed the Realplayer bin
    > file instead of the rpm package of it (scroll down a bit at the RealPlayer
    > site to find it). You could have saved both of us a little bit of time and
    > effort with this little tidbit knowledge, but that's besides the point
    > now....
    >

    >>Oops, look at this!
    >>[orion@localhost ~]$ rpm -e RealPlayer
    >>error: can't create transaction lock on /var/lib/rpm/__db.000
    >>[orion@localhost ~]$ su
    >>Password:
    >>[root@localhost orion]# rpm -e RealPlayer

    > You did not install RealPlayer via rpm so you cannot remove it either via
    > rpm.....
    >

    >>ls: /usr/local//share/locale: No such file or directory
    >>[root@localhost orion]# whereis RealPlayer
    >>RealPlayer: /usr/local/RealPlayer

    > Simply delete this directory structure and any hidden .realplayer
    > directories in both your home directory and root's home directory if you
    > want. You can install the HelixPlayer rpm via rpm.
    >
    > FYI: you really do not need RealPlayer or HelixPlayer for Linux, mplayer
    > (much better IMHO) and the mplayerplug-in (a plugin for Firefox/Mozilla)
    > take care of this issue, which is what I use.

    Sorry for the mess. Removed all RealPlayer. Utilizing KISS I did yum
    install mplayer and all done beautifully. Thanx for the help and advice.

+ Reply to Thread