Can't seem to get Grub installed on a dual boot system - Help

This is a discussion on Can't seem to get Grub installed on a dual boot system - Help ; hda (40GB drive) hda1: vfat32 10gb windowx xp free space, not partitioned 27gb hdb (160GB drive) hdb1: 100GB ntfs hdb5: 100MB ubuntu boot swap part: 2GB ubuntu swap hdb7: 50GB ext3 ubuntu After installing XP on hda1 I installed ubuntu ...

  1. Can't seem to get Grub installed on a dual boot system

    hda (40GB drive)

    hda1: vfat32 10gb windowx xp
    free space, not partitioned 27gb

    hdb (160GB drive)

    hdb1: 100GB ntfs
    hdb5: 100MB ubuntu boot
    swap part: 2GB ubuntu swap
    hdb7: 50GB ext3 ubuntu

    After installing XP on hda1 I installed ubuntu on the second harddrive
    (hdb1,5, 7). Following the installation I rebooted and got error 21 from
    Grub. I used the XP rescue disk to reset the MBR (on hda , obviousely)
    and can now boot XP.

    I brought up the ubuntu live CD. Ubuntu can see both drives. I manually
    mounted /dev/hdb7, got into /sbin and ran sudo grub-install. Got this
    output:

    sudo grub-install /dev/hda1
    /dev/mapper/casper-snapshot does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

    Hmm, I am certain there is an easy workaround to get to a dual boot Grub
    menu, but it somehow escapes me.

    BTW, I also had this problem when I installed Redhat a year ago. I just
    let it slide at the time, because I have another, much better machine to
    run Linux on.

    I'd appreciate any insight.

    Cheers, Malte

  2. Re: Can't seem to get Grub installed on a dual boot system

    Malte wrote:

    > I brought up the ubuntu live CD. Ubuntu can see both drives. I manually
    > mounted /dev/hdb7, got into /sbin and ran sudo grub-install. Got this
    > output:
    >
    > sudo grub-install /dev/hda1

    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

    --
    "A personal computer is called a personal computer because it's yours,
    Anything that runs on that computer, you should have control over."

  3. Re: Can't seem to get Grub installed on a dual boot system

    Lenard wrote:
    > Malte wrote:
    >

    >>I brought up the ubuntu live CD. Ubuntu can see both drives. I manually
    >>mounted /dev/hdb7, got into /sbin and ran sudo grub-install. Got this
    >>output:
    >>
    >>sudo grub-install /dev/hda1

    > sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/hda

    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
    Proping devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    /dev/mapper/casper-snapshot does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

    :-(

  4. Re: Can't seem to get Grub installed on a dual boot system

    Malte wrote:
    > Lenard wrote:
    >
    >> Malte wrote:
    >>

    >>> I brought up the ubuntu live CD. Ubuntu can see both drives. I manually
    >>> mounted /dev/hdb7, got into /sbin and ran sudo grub-install. Got this
    >>> output:
    >>>
    >>> sudo grub-install /dev/hda1

    >> sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
    >>

    > sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/hda
    > Proping devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.
    > /dev/mapper/casper-snapshot does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.
    >

    > :-(

    Solved. Got into BIOS setup, set 2nd drive to AUTO

+ Reply to Thread