PS/2 mouse and 2.6.14 - mouse doesn't work - Help

This is a discussion on PS/2 mouse and 2.6.14 - mouse doesn't work - Help ; Hi, When configuring the 2.6.14 kernel (2.6.13 behaves similarly as below), under Input Device Support, Mouse, I have PS/2 style mouse selected. The BIOS is setup to recognize a mouse, and the mouse is recognized in 2.4 kernels (and works). ...

  1. PS/2 mouse and 2.6.14 - mouse doesn't work

    Hi,
    When configuring the 2.6.14 kernel (2.6.13 behaves similarly as below),
    under Input Device Support, Mouse, I have PS/2 style mouse selected.

    The BIOS is setup to recognize a mouse, and the mouse is recognized in 2.4
    kernels (and works).

    gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux
    goes into the background, but mouse is inoperable.

    mev
    reports no mouse events.

    No errors are reported in /var/log/messages or boot.log.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance to get the mouse (only thing not
    running) in the 2.6 kernel.

    Fred

  2. Re: PS/2 mouse and 2.6.14 - mouse doesn't work

    Fred wrote:

    > Hi,
    > When configuring the 2.6.14 kernel (2.6.13 behaves similarly as below),
    > under Input Device Support, Mouse, I have PS/2 style mouse selected.

    Have you also configured

    CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
    CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y

    ??

    =arvi=

    > The BIOS is setup to recognize a mouse, and the mouse is recognized in 2.4
    > kernels (and works).
    >
    > gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux
    > goes into the background, but mouse is inoperable.
    >
    > mev
    > reports no mouse events.
    >
    > No errors are reported in /var/log/messages or boot.log.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any assistance to get the mouse (only thing not
    > running) in the 2.6 kernel.
    >
    > Fred

  3. Re: PS/2 mouse and 2.6.14 - mouse doesn't work

    Fred wrote:

    > Thanks in advance for any assistance to get the mouse (only thing not
    > running) in the 2.6 kernel.

    The mouse runs a lot differently in a 2.6.x system.

    The 2.4 system used to have a mouse daemon (moused).

    On the 2.4.x system it was possible to reset the mouse by stopping and
    restarting the mouse daemon.

    The 2.6.x system doesn't have a mouse daemon.

    I think the mouse is handled by a kernel module.

    I have problems when I throw my KVM switch because the mouse sometimes hangs.

    I'm not sure whether it is possible to reset the mouse by unloading and

    Do you have X on your system ? Does the mouse work in that ?

    If the mouse does not work at all, it might be the input device name
    has changed.

    I am still using /dev/psaux here, but I have read that there are different
    device names for the PS/2 mouse port.

    You might be able to "discover" the mouse using hardware detection.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  4. Re: PS/2 mouse and 2.6.14 - mouse doesn't work

    Hi kernit,
    Yes,
    those two lines appear in .config.

    I am trying to use gpm in the consoles. PS/2 mouse connected to psaux
    doesn't work in consoles or X. Works fine in 2.4 kernels and windoze. Gpm
    reports no errors to the syslog or stderr, and mev is silent after
    invocation.

    Thanks, Fred

    "kermit" wrote in message
    > Fred wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > When configuring the 2.6.14 kernel (2.6.13 behaves similarly as below),
    > > under Input Device Support, Mouse, I have PS/2 style mouse selected.
    > >

    > Have you also configured
    >
    > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
    > CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
    >
    > ??
    >
    > =arvi=
    >
    > > The BIOS is setup to recognize a mouse, and the mouse is recognized in

    2.4
    > > kernels (and works).
    > >
    > > gpm -t ps/2 -m /dev/psaux
    > > goes into the background, but mouse is inoperable.
    > >
    > > mev
    > > reports no mouse events.
    > >
    > > No errors are reported in /var/log/messages or boot.log.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any assistance to get the mouse (only thing not
    > > running) in the 2.6 kernel.
    > >
    > > Fred

+ Reply to Thread