Yesterday, I installed Fedora Core 4 on a Dell PowerEdge server (one of the
1U models) and used software RAID (1) for redundancy. Later, I ran
"up2date" to get the machine completely current. By "current", I mean I
have the latest kernel released by the Fedora project, 2.6.13. I'm not 100%
sure, but I think wasn't a problem on the old FC4 kernel. (2.6.9?)

The system worked for a while, but eventually started printing messages
like:

hdc: task_in_intr: status=0x51
hdc: task_in_intr: error=0x40

after which the system hangs. I'm sorry - those aren't the exact messages.
These machines need to be ready ASAP and some of my co-workers have already
started rebuilding them. I wouldn't have anything, at all, if it wasn't for
Firefox auto-completion.

Ths system is being re-installed today and, to start with, the mirrors on
hdd didn't come up. I ran "mdadm" to start the rebuild process and it was
going okay for a while, but now I'm getting:

I/O error, dev hdc, sector ??

where the ?? is a sector number that keeps incrementing. The machine hasn't
hung, yet, but it's pretty unusable.

One thing I noticed after the update: before the update, the disks were sdx,
while after the update they were hdx. If it helps any, "dmesg" tells me the
following about the IDE devices:

Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SN-324F, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Probing IDE interface ide1...
hdc: ST340014AS, ATA DISK drive
hdd: ST340014AS, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
hdc: max request size: 1024KiB
hdc: 78125000 sectors (40000 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63
hdc: cache flushes supported
hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc3
hdd: max request size: 1024KiB
hdd: 78125000 sectors (40000 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=16383/255/63
hdd: cache flushes supported
hdd: hdd1 hdd2 hdd3
hda: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache

I did some checking and it seems we're having similar problems on all our
Serial ATA Dell machines, where we have FC4 with all the latest updates.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks,
Chris