Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3 - Help

This is a discussion on Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3 - Help ; I'm running Fedora Core 3 (linux 2.6.9-1.667) and all was running well until this past week when I was running off an ethernet at a hotel. I unplugged from the ethenet cable and went to a meeting. When I returned ...

  1. Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

    I'm running Fedora Core 3 (linux 2.6.9-1.667) and all was running
    well until this past week when I was running off an ethernet
    at a hotel. I unplugged from the ethenet cable and went
    to a meeting. When I returned and connected to the ethernet cabke there
    was no connectivity. I tried rebooting and when rebooting,
    the ethernet interface startup failed.

    When I got home, I tried connecting to a cable that I know
    is good and again, the ethernet interface failed to start
    at boot time.

    I'm not sure what the next step is to isolate this to
    hardware or software on the PC. Can someone help me
    checkout the ethernet software on my PC?

    Thank you in advance.

    Jim Anderon

  2. Re: Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

    Jim Anderson wrote:

    > I'm running Fedora Core 3 ...
    > ... I tried rebooting and when rebooting,
    > the ethernet interface startup failed.
    >
    > When I got home, I tried connecting to a cable that I know
    > is good and again, the ethernet interface failed to start
    > at boot time.
    >
    > I'm not sure what the next step is to isolate this to
    > hardware or software on the PC. Can someone help me
    > checkout the ethernet software on my PC?

    Places to start:

    lspci (a command) should list a line that describes your network
    interface, among just about all the other hardware you've got. If it
    doesn't, you know the hardware is bad.

    /etc/modprobe.conf (a file) should list a kernel module for your NIC
    that get loaded when the network starts. It probably aliases the
    interface to eth0.

    "ifconfig -a" (a command) should list info about all the interfaces that
    are up.

    "ifconfig eth0" should list info about eth0 even if it's down.

    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (a file) contains info about
    how to configure eth0 when it comes up (like static vs. dhcp) and if it
    should be brought up by default.

    ifup and ifdown (commands) manually bring up and take down an interface.

    ifup invokes dhclient (a command) to get dhcp info. You can use it
    manually if you have to to test dhcp.

  3. Re: Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

    Allen,

    Thank you for the suggestions. All is well now. As soon as I looked at
    the ifconfig output, I knew things looked suspecious because there
    wasn't a 'inet addr' in the output. I used the FC3 program to create
    a new network connection and evertything was fine.

    Jim

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Jim Anderson wrote:
    >
    >>I'm running Fedora Core 3 ...
    >>... I tried rebooting and when rebooting,
    >>the ethernet interface startup failed.
    >>
    >>When I got home, I tried connecting to a cable that I know
    >>is good and again, the ethernet interface failed to start
    >>at boot time.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure what the next step is to isolate this to
    >>hardware or software on the PC. Can someone help me
    >>checkout the ethernet software on my PC?

    > Places to start:
    >
    > lspci (a command) should list a line that describes your network
    > interface, among just about all the other hardware you've got. If it
    > doesn't, you know the hardware is bad.
    >
    > /etc/modprobe.conf (a file) should list a kernel module for your NIC
    > that get loaded when the network starts. It probably aliases the
    > interface to eth0.
    >
    > "ifconfig -a" (a command) should list info about all the interfaces that
    > are up.
    >
    > "ifconfig eth0" should list info about eth0 even if it's down.
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (a file) contains info about
    > how to configure eth0 when it comes up (like static vs. dhcp) and if it
    > should be brought up by default.
    >
    > ifup and ifdown (commands) manually bring up and take down an interface.
    >
    > ifup invokes dhclient (a command) to get dhcp info. You can use it
    > manually if you have to to test dhcp.

  4. Re: Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Jim Anderson wrote:
    >
    >>I'm running Fedora Core 3 ...
    >>... I tried rebooting and when rebooting,
    >>the ethernet interface startup failed.
    >>
    >>When I got home, I tried connecting to a cable that I know
    >>is good and again, the ethernet interface failed to start
    >>at boot time.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure what the next step is to isolate this to
    >>hardware or software on the PC. Can someone help me
    >>checkout the ethernet software on my PC?

    > Places to start:
    >
    > lspci (a command) should list a line that describes your network
    > interface, among just about all the other hardware you've got. If it
    > doesn't, you know the hardware is bad.
    >
    > /etc/modprobe.conf (a file) should list a kernel module for your NIC
    > that get loaded when the network starts. It probably aliases the
    > interface to eth0.
    >
    > "ifconfig -a" (a command) should list info about all the interfaces that
    > are up.
    >
    > "ifconfig eth0" should list info about eth0 even if it's down.
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (a file) contains info about
    > how to configure eth0 when it comes up (like static vs. dhcp) and if it
    > should be brought up by default.
    >
    > ifup and ifdown (commands) manually bring up and take down an interface.
    >
    > ifup invokes dhclient (a command) to get dhcp info. You can use it
    > manually if you have to to test dhcp.

  5. Re: Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Jim Anderson wrote:
    >
    >>I'm running Fedora Core 3 ...
    >>... I tried rebooting and when rebooting,
    >>the ethernet interface startup failed.
    >>
    >>When I got home, I tried connecting to a cable that I know
    >>is good and again, the ethernet interface failed to start
    >>at boot time.
    >>
    >>I'm not sure what the next step is to isolate this to
    >>hardware or software on the PC. Can someone help me
    >>checkout the ethernet software on my PC?

    > Places to start:
    >
    > lspci (a command) should list a line that describes your network
    > interface, among just about all the other hardware you've got. If it
    > doesn't, you know the hardware is bad.
    >
    > /etc/modprobe.conf (a file) should list a kernel module for your NIC
    > that get loaded when the network starts. It probably aliases the
    > interface to eth0.
    >
    > "ifconfig -a" (a command) should list info about all the interfaces that
    > are up.
    >
    > "ifconfig eth0" should list info about eth0 even if it's down.
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (a file) contains info about
    > how to configure eth0 when it comes up (like static vs. dhcp) and if it
    > should be brought up by default.
    >
    > ifup and ifdown (commands) manually bring up and take down an interface.
    >
    > ifup invokes dhclient (a command) to get dhcp info. You can use it
    > manually if you have to to test dhcp.

  6. Re: Ethernet fails during boot - Fedora Core 3

    In article <4335AB63.2000808@ieee.org>, Jim Anderson wrote:
    :
    :Thank you for the suggestions. All is well now. As soon as I looked at
    :the ifconfig output, I knew things looked suspecious because there
    :wasn't a 'inet addr' in the output. I used the FC3 program to create
    :a new network connection and evertything was fine.

    Sounds like yet another victim of NetworkManager "managing" your
    network connection.

    --
    Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

+ Reply to Thread