DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range - Help

This is a discussion on DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range - Help ; Hi, I am a newbie to Linux of any kind and have just installed Fedora core 4. I am slowly trying to learn how all of this works and my first main issue is that after installing Fedora my network ...

  1. DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Hi, I am a newbie to Linux of any kind and have just installed Fedora
    core 4.

    I am slowly trying to learn how all of this works and my first main
    issue is that after installing Fedora my network card grabs the first
    address in the range that is set up on my DHCP server provided by my router.

    The problem is this address has already been assigned to another device
    (win xp) and it is running.

    The win xp machine complains that the address is already taken but
    continues to work and so does the Fedora machine

    Any one have any ideas.

    Cheers in advance for any help

    WW

  2. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    wiggle woggle wrote:
    > The win xp machine complains that the address is already taken but
    > continues to work and so does the Fedora machine
    >
    > Any one have any ideas.

    You can use fedora's network configuration tool (GUI) or in a shell as
    root (sudo) edit this file to create a static IP address:

    example:

    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    BROADCAST=XXX.XXX.XXX.255
    IPADDR=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=XXX.XXX.XXX.0
    ONBOOT=yes

    --
    Let's not complicate our relationship
    by trying to communicate with each other.

  3. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    You should change the range of DHCP addresses on your router to start with
    another number.

    "wiggle woggle" wrote in message
    news:431635e6$0$5713$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com ...
    > Hi, I am a newbie to Linux of any kind and have just installed Fedora
    > core 4.
    >
    > I am slowly trying to learn how all of this works and my first main
    > issue is that after installing Fedora my network card grabs the first
    > address in the range that is set up on my DHCP server provided by my

    router.

    > The problem is this address has already been assigned to another device
    > (win xp) and it is running.
    >
    > The win xp machine complains that the address is already taken but
    > continues to work and so does the Fedora machine
    >
    > Any one have any ideas.
    >
    > Cheers in advance for any help
    >
    > WW

  4. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:40:43 GMT, "Steve Foley"
    wrote:

    >You should change the range of DHCP addresses on your router to start with
    >another number.

    You shouldn't have to. The Linux box should be able to do DHCP
    correctly, which includes not grabbing an IP that's already in use.

    Original poster, have you checked to make sure the box really is using
    DHCP, and doesn't think it's on a static IP?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  5. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    My guess was that the XP box is using a static IP address that the DHCP
    server is also giving out.

    "Joe Zeff" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:40:43 GMT, "Steve Foley"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >You should change the range of DHCP addresses on your router to start

    with
    > >another number.

    > You shouldn't have to. The Linux box should be able to do DHCP
    > correctly, which includes not grabbing an IP that's already in use.
    >
    > Original poster, have you checked to make sure the box really is using
    > DHCP, and doesn't think it's on a static IP?
    >
    > --
    > Joe Zeff
    > The Guy With the Sideburns
    > Computers work in strange and wonderful ways,
    > Their marvels to avoid performing.
    > http://www.lasfs.org http://home.earthlink.net/~sidebrnz

  6. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Steve Foley wrote:
    > My guess was that the XP box is using a static IP address that the DHCP
    > server is also giving out.

    If you are using "Home Edition", this contains a bug relating to DHCP.

    http://markhobley.yi.org/winxp/annoyances/wxh01.html

    Please post the IP address of your DHCP server and the addresses being given
    to both the Linux box and the Windows XP machine, and the subnet mask being
    used.

    I would recommend using static addresses for a home network.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  7. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    johnny bobby bee wrote:
    > wiggle woggle wrote:
    >
    >> The win xp machine complains that the address is already taken but
    >> continues to work and so does the Fedora machine
    >>
    >> Any one have any ideas.

    > You can use fedora's network configuration tool (GUI) or in a shell as
    > root (sudo) edit this file to create a static IP address:
    >
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    >
    > example:
    >
    > DEVICE=eth0
    > BOOTPROTO=static
    > BROADCAST=XXX.XXX.XXX.255
    > IPADDR=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX
    > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    > NETWORK=XXX.XXX.XXX.0
    > ONBOOT=yes

    Cheers for reply, I have manually configed it, it's the fact that it's
    grabbing the first address in range rather than the next avail that is
    causing me probs.

    Not huge probs as there are ways around these things as above, but it's
    for moving forward in understanding the rest of the system, if my
    confidence is getting battered now by "if it can't even handle dhcp
    correctly how will I trust the rest of the learning process" i.e. did I
    mis config something or is it a case of it just can't do that.

  8. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Joe Zeff wrote:
    > On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 10:40:43 GMT, "Steve Foley"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>You should change the range of DHCP addresses on your router to start with
    >>another number.

    > You shouldn't have to. The Linux box should be able to do DHCP
    > correctly, which includes not grabbing an IP that's already in use.
    >
    > Original poster, have you checked to make sure the box really is using
    > DHCP, and doesn't think it's on a static IP?

    In the GUI config box for the card it says DHCP and the tick box for
    auto get address is ticked at the time.

  9. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Steve Foley wrote:
    > My guess was that the XP box is using a static IP address that the DHCP
    > server is also giving out.

    Sorry Steve, all machines are configed for DHCP, but cheers for taking
    an interest.

    It's as I said in my reply to Johnny above it's the impact on the
    learning process,

    Have I mis configed something onthe Fedora box, have I missed a setting
    somewhere, have I misunderstood something. If I can't get the network to
    operator correctly, what chance do I have of the more advanced stuff?
    (don't you just love learning something new)

    Oh I've been pampered by windows for to long

  10. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Mark Hobley wrote:

    > If you are using "Home Edition", this contains a bug relating to DHCP.
    >
    > http://markhobley.yi.org/winxp/annoyances/wxh01.html
    >
    > Please post the IP address of your DHCP server and the addresses being given
    > to both the Linux box and the Windows XP machine, and the subnet mask being
    > used.
    >
    > I would recommend using static addresses for a home network.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Mark.

    Nope, using XP Pro
    Router DHCP Range 10.10 to 10.100 (below 10.10 for other equip i.e.
    printers, other routers etc)
    Router address is 10.1

  11. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Just a quick thanks to all those that took pitty on this poor newbie and
    replied

  12. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Just anther quick update.

    Switched Fedora back to DHCP, restarted whole nework
    Router first
    Then XP
    Then Fedora

    XP Has now been assigned 10.11 and fedora has kept hold of 10.10.

    The reason I posted was this was the 2nd attempt at Fedora, first one was a
    dry run to see what would happen, this one was for going through the book
    stepwise and both times it did the same address thingy.

    I feel a third one coming on, nothing like repetition to get used to
    something
    (by the way, names different as I am writing this from XP box)

  13. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Have just sat down and went through this in a stepwise process.

    Re-set the network, manually assigned IP addresses to XP machine and Fedora,
    router re-set to factory defaults and then re-setup

    Process followed was

    Switch on router, wait for it to boot up
    Switched on XP machine (manual address 10.7), checked network access ok.
    Switched on Fedora machine (manual address 10.8), checked network access ok
    Downed Fedora
    Changed XP address to DHCP and re-booted, machine assigned address 10.10

    Booted Fedora machine (net access still ok)
    Changed address to DHCP (xp machine immediatly complained about conflict),
    and rebooted (during reboot, xp machine stoped complaining about conflict)
    Fedora boots up and causes XP to complain that there is an address conflict
    and Fedora machine now has 10.10 assigned to it

    During this the DHCP page on the router shows the XP machine name as being
    assigned 10.10, as soon as Fedora boots, this changes and shows the Fedora
    machine being assinged 10.10

    It's a Belkin 54g router by the way

    "wiggle woggle" wrote in message
    news:431635e6$0$5713$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com ...
    > Hi, I am a newbie to Linux of any kind and have just installed Fedora core
    > 4.
    >
    > I am slowly trying to learn how all of this works and my first main issue
    > is that after installing Fedora my network card grabs the first address in
    > the range that is set up on my DHCP server provided by my router.
    >
    > The problem is this address has already been assigned to another device
    > (win xp) and it is running.
    >
    > The win xp machine complains that the address is already taken but
    > continues to work and so does the Fedora machine
    >
    > Any one have any ideas.
    >
    > Cheers in advance for any help
    >
    > WW

  14. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Dibble Dobble wrote:

    > Have just sat down and went through this in a stepwise process.
    >
    > Re-set the network, manually assigned IP addresses to XP machine and
    > Fedora, router re-set to factory defaults and then re-setup
    >
    > Process followed was
    >
    > Switch on router, wait for it to boot up
    > Switched on XP machine (manual address 10.7), checked network access ok.
    > Switched on Fedora machine (manual address 10.8), checked network access
    > ok Downed Fedora
    > Changed XP address to DHCP and re-booted, machine assigned address 10.10
    >

    > Booted Fedora machine (net access still ok)
    > Changed address to DHCP (xp machine immediatly complained about conflict),
    > and rebooted (during reboot, xp machine stoped complaining about conflict)
    > Fedora boots up and causes XP to complain that there is an address
    > conflict and Fedora machine now has 10.10 assigned to it
    >
    > During this the DHCP page on the router shows the XP machine name as being
    > assigned 10.10, as soon as Fedora boots, this changes and shows the Fedora
    > machine being assinged 10.10
    >
    > It's a Belkin 54g router by the way

    What happens if you do it the other way round - first switch Linux to DHCP
    and second XP?

    I.e. I can imagine two reasons

    - a bug in your router (if you have any possibility, try different brand or
    get third system, configure DHCP server and try with it)

    - XP for any reason fails to respond when router checks if address is still
    alive. Booting Linux into DHCP first should prove it (hopefully, Linux gets
    it right

    You could also try to play with lease time if your router allows it to be
    defined.

    =arvi=

  15. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    wiggle woggle wrote:

    > Nope, using XP Pro
    > Router DHCP Range 10.10 to 10.100 (below 10.10 for other equip i.e.
    > printers, other routers etc)
    > Router address is 10.1

    On the windows machine, type ipconfig or winipcfg

    I think there's an advanced button. Click this.

    Post here everything given.

    On the Linux box:

    cat /etc/network/interfaces

    Post the content here.

    What network cards are you using on the two computers ?
    Do you know the NIC addresses for the two cards ?

    Post them here.

    Point your web browser at your router.

    Go to the DHCP section.

    Post the content here.

    Is there a list of DHCP assignments currently issued ?

    Post that here.

    Like I say. Static addresses are better for your network.
    (You can always test connectivity through "ping" and don't have to worry about
    DHCP reassigning addresses.)

    Leave DHCP alone.

    If you insist on DHCP, though I can't think why, it is possible on the DHCP
    server to map IP address to NIC. Most DHCP servers provide this facility.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    393 Quinton Road West
    QUINTON
    Birmingham
    B32 1QE

    Telephone: (0121) 247 1596
    International: 0044 121 247 1596

    http://markhobley.yi.org/

  16. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 11:20:14 +0100, "Dibble Dobble"
    wrote:

    >During this the DHCP page on the router shows the XP machine name as being
    >assigned 10.10, as soon as Fedora boots, this changes and shows the Fedora
    >machine being assinged 10.10

    Try booting only the Fedora box and seeing what the IP is, then the XP
    and check for conflict. I'd not be at all surprised to find that the
    problem isn't with Fedora not doing DHCP[1] but with the router
    supplying the same IP to both.

    [1]In fact, I'd be greatly surprised if that's the issue; DHCP is a
    well-known protocol, and the coders have had years to get it RIGHT.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  17. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    <431978d8$0$5807$9a6e19ea@news.newshosting.com>, Dibble Dobble wrote:

    >Re-set the network, manually assigned IP addresses to XP machine and Fedora,

    Personally, that's how I'd leave it - unless your computers are coming
    and going on a regular basis. But that's just me.

    >Switched on Fedora machine (manual address 10.8), checked network access ok
    >Downed Fedora
    >Changed XP address to DHCP and re-booted, machine assigned address 10.10
    >

    >Booted Fedora machine (net access still ok)
    >Changed address to DHCP (xp machine immediatly complained about conflict),

    "Changed address" exactly how? This sounds like some wonky GUI tool
    that is doing "something" but you aren't exactly sure what.

    Repeat this process, and monitor the contents of the Fedora file
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. When in static mode, that
    file should have something like

    $ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    IPADDR=192.168.2.10
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.2.0
    BROADCAST=192.168.2.255
    ONBOOT=yes

    with suitable corrections. When in DHCP mode, this file should only have

    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    ONBOOT=yes

    and if there are any other variables, there should be nothing after the
    equal signs, NOT EVEN A SPACE. You may want to also look through the
    files below /etc/ looking for that "10.10" addresss. The quick way is

    grep '10\.10' /etc/*
    grep '10\.10' /etc/*/*
    grep '10\.10' /etc/*/*/*

    and so on. Also, could your Fedora box be _requesting_ that address
    from your DHCP server.

    >During this the DHCP page on the router shows the XP machine name as being
    >assigned 10.10, as soon as Fedora boots, this changes and shows the Fedora
    >machine being assinged 10.10

    Personally, that sounds like a b0rken DHCP server - if the address is in
    use, why the f*ck is it reassigning it without telling the windoze box to
    curl up and die? DHCP has never been a secure service, and even the RFCs
    that define it (such as RFC2132) so state - I guess you're discovering this
    the hard way.

    Old guy

  18. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    Ok time to fess up to being a pillock on this one, for not checking all
    connections properly.

    I have just found out that whilst my back was turned my brother had been
    playing.

    He had decided to play with bridged networking, so the setup instead of
    being each machine with it's own connection to the router, went

    Router
    Win XP wireless
    WIn XP PCI card (these 2 bridged, with this one connecting to Linksys
    for VOIP)
    Another router (voip)
    Fedora box

    So no wonder it wasn't working.

    Reconnected all the "correct" cables and now everything is hunky dory

    Thanks everyone that replied and tried to help, brother is due one
    spanking for playing (or at least a crate of beer, I'll drink it on your
    behalf)

  19. Re: DHCP Keeps grabbing first address in range

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 12:42:13 +0100, wiggle woggle
    wrote:

    >Thanks everyone that replied and tried to help, brother is due one
    >spanking for playing

    I suggest you set his net mask to 0.0.0.255 for a while, or something
    similar. Then, when he complains, tell him *you* were "just playing."
    Let him see what the consequences of such activities are. Besides,
    you'll get to find out just what that does to a connection. Enquiring
    minds want to know!

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns