Nvidia Quadro FX 540 and Suse 9.3 (X crash) - Help

This is a discussion on Nvidia Quadro FX 540 and Suse 9.3 (X crash) - Help ; Hi, my very first post is sadly a post about a failing display. I've got a copy of suse 9.3 eval installed on my computer but when I try to install the official nvidia drivers (with Online Update) nothing changes. ...

  1. Nvidia Quadro FX 540 and Suse 9.3 (X crash)

    Hi,

    my very first post is sadly a post about a failing display. I've got a
    copy of suse 9.3 eval installed on my computer but when I try to
    install the official nvidia drivers (with Online Update) nothing
    changes. It still uses the nv module instead of nvidia and when I try
    to change to nvidia manualy (changing xorg.conf) I get an error message
    from X saying: display does not exist...
    Does anyone know what I should do to fix this problem?

    Thanks in advance

    Joost

    --
    joostbouwer

  2. Re: Nvidia Quadro FX 540 and Suse 9.3 (X crash)

    joostbouwer wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > when I try to> install the official nvidia drivers (with Online Update)
    > nothing changes.

    I would recommend replacing the Nvidia card with an ATI Radeon 9000. (or
    Radeon 9200).

    Unfortunately the nvidia drivers are proprietory binaries without source code
    and you may have problems with system maintenance.

    Don't install drivers from the manufacturers websites. These are proprietory
    and you will be tied to the manufacturer for system maintenance and upgrades.

    You may be able to run in Standard VGA mode (640x480 with 16 colours) with
    existing drivers.

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --