When the Clueless Use Linux - Help

This is a discussion on When the Clueless Use Linux - Help ; A person other than myself happened to click on this message's link -- assuming it was a nice greeting from someone. Of course, they were met with a message from Opera that there was (figuratively speaking) no way in hell ...

  1. When the Clueless Use Linux

    A person other than myself happened to click on this message's link --
    assuming it was a nice greeting from someone.

    Of course, they were met with a message from Opera that there was
    (figuratively speaking) no way in hell Opera is going to "connect" with an
    "exe" file someplace in the middle of the old USSR.

    We cognoscenti know, of course, that this is a virus (so many of them I
    don't know which one this is).

    I explained this in great detail to the Clueless One who now is asking to
    have FC3 installed on his machine.

    Thank you Linus.

    Cheers,

    Dave

    --------------------------------------
    The bogus message:

    You have just received a virtual postcard from a family member!

    You can pick up your postcard at the following web address:

    http://www2.postcards.org/?a91-valets-cloud-31337

    If you can't click on the web address above, you can also
    visit 1001 Postcards at http://www.postcards.org/postcards/
    and enter your pickup code, which is: a91-valets-cloud-mad

    (Your postcard will be available for 60 days.)

    Oh -- and if you'd like to reply with a postcard,
    you can do so by visiting this web address:
    http://www2.postcards.org/

    (Or you can simply click the "reply to this postcard"
    button beneath your postcard!)

    We hope you enjoy your postcard, and if you do,
    please take a moment to send a few yourself!

    Regards,
    1001 Postcards
    http://www.postcards.org/postcards/

  2. Re: When the Clueless Use Linux

    In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    <1389014.19fE2GpIuL@linux.user.and.happy>, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:

    >Of course, they were met with a message from Opera that there was
    >(figuratively speaking) no way in hell Opera is going to "connect" with an
    >"exe" file someplace in the middle of the old USSR.

    Are you sure that the address is correct? (It helps to look at the raw
    message.)

    >I explained this in great detail to the Clueless One who now is asking to
    >have FC3 installed on his machine.

    Yabbut FC4 was released over four weeks ago.

    >You have just received a virtual postcard from a family member!

    That is _so_ easy to abuse. Still, there are clueless fools out there who
    think it's a great thing. I had to use some rather harsh language to get
    my nephews/niece to stop sending that crap.

    >You can pick up your postcard at the following web address:
    >
    >http://www2.postcards.org/?a91-valets-cloud-31337

    [compton ~]$ host www2.postcards.org
    www2.postcards.org is a nickname for aloha.postcards.org
    aloha.postcards.org has address 64.151.106.108
    [compton ~]$

    >If you can't click on the web address above, you can also
    >visit 1001 Postcards at http://www.postcards.org/postcards/

    [compton ~]$ host www.postcards.org
    www.postcards.org is a nickname for postcards.org
    postcards.org has address 64.151.106.92
    postcards.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mail.marty.net
    [compton ~]$

    If you look up the IP addresses, that is ServePath-BLK4 (servepath.com),
    a provider in San Francisco who has been making some effort to get their
    address blocks out of the SPEWS (and _many_ other) blocklists. Currently,
    SPEWS is listing their entire IP space (64.151.64.0/18, 69.59.128.0/18
    and 216.93.160.0/19 that I'm aware of). See postings this week to the
    news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting newsgroup.

    The domain 'postcards.org' is one of a number registered by someone
    calling himself "Marty McKolskey" operating out of a P.O. box in
    Sherman Oaks, CA. The domain was registered back in 1998, which is
    relatively long for a black-hat. Other domain names are 1001.com and
    marty.net (from 1997).

    Old guy

  3. Re: When the Clueless Use Linux

    Moe Trin wrote:

    > In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.help, in article
    > <1389014.19fE2GpIuL@linux.user.and.happy>, CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >
    >>Of course, they were met with a message from Opera that there was
    >>(figuratively speaking) no way in hell Opera is going to "connect" with an
    >>"exe" file someplace in the middle of the old USSR.

    > Are you sure that the address is correct? (It helps to look at the raw
    > message.)

    Sorry -- I was joking ...

    >>I explained this in great detail to the Clueless One who now is asking to
    >>have FC3 installed on his machine.

    > Yabbut FC4 was released over four weeks ago.

    I'm thinking about it but now that I have gotten FC3 "fixed" the way I like
    it ....

    >>You have just received a virtual postcard from a family member!

    > That is _so_ easy to abuse. Still, there are clueless fools out there who
    > think it's a great thing. I had to use some rather harsh language to get
    > my nephews/niece to stop sending that crap.

    I know, and since there are legitimate greeting card sites ... I expect that
    the legitimate ones are taking a hit financially.

    >>You can pick up your postcard at the following web address:
    >>
    >>http://www2.postcards.org/?a91-valets-cloud-31337

    > [compton ~]$ host www2.postcards.org
    > www2.postcards.org is a nickname for aloha.postcards.org
    > aloha.postcards.org has address 64.151.106.108
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    >>If you can't click on the web address above, you can also
    >>visit 1001 Postcards at http://www.postcards.org/postcards/

    > [compton ~]$ host www.postcards.org
    > www.postcards.org is a nickname for postcards.org
    > postcards.org has address 64.151.106.92
    > postcards.org mail is handled (pri=10) by mail.marty.net
    > [compton ~]$
    >
    > If you look up the IP addresses, that is ServePath-BLK4 (servepath.com),
    > a provider in San Francisco who has been making some effort to get their
    > address blocks out of the SPEWS (and _many_ other) blocklists. Currently,
    > SPEWS is listing their entire IP space (64.151.64.0/18, 69.59.128.0/18
    > and 216.93.160.0/19 that I'm aware of). See postings this week to the
    > news.admin.net-abuse.blocklisting newsgroup.
    >
    > The domain 'postcards.org' is one of a number registered by someone
    > calling himself "Marty McKolskey" operating out of a P.O. box in
    > Sherman Oaks, CA. The domain was registered back in 1998, which is
    > relatively long for a black-hat. Other domain names are 1001.com and
    > marty.net (from 1997).

    I suppose a few years ago when I was interested in the hAk(*)nG world I
    would have followed up. I used to have all kinds of back tracing apps when
    I ran Windows. Now it is just too much trouble ... I just delete what gets
    through SpamAss and fingure someone else will be the police for a change.
    Maybe when I finally retire and can sit in front of the PC all day long and
    write BASICA programs for the IBM5100 and send them to John Titor.

    I'm wondering if those domains might have been sub-leased or even
    highjacked. Oh well ...

    --

    Study History - Know the Future

    http://misterfixit.blogspot.com