Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only? - Help

This is a discussion on Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only? - Help ; I've had a dual-boot Win98/RedHat9 box for a while, but rarely used Linux. (Not enough things to do with it to give me motivation.) I wanted to write a contribution to an APA (Amature Press Association) this afternoon, and store ...

  1. Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only?

    I've had a dual-boot Win98/RedHat9 box for a while, but rarely used
    Linux. (Not enough things to do with it to give me motivation.) I
    wanted to write a contribution to an APA (Amature Press Association)
    this afternoon, and store it on my C: drive, with earlier efforts.
    Alas, although it's mounted, it's read only and even as root, I can't
    change that. Fstab reads:

    /dev/hda1 /C vfat defaults 0 0

    I've tried to remount it with a specific option of rw, I've tried (as
    root) to chmod the directory but nothing. Suggestions?

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns

  2. Re: Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only?

    Joe Zeff scribbled on the stall wall:
    > I've had a dual-boot Win98/RedHat9 box for a while, but rarely used
    > Linux. (Not enough things to do with it to give me motivation.) I
    > wanted to write a contribution to an APA (Amature Press Association)
    > this afternoon, and store it on my C: drive, with earlier efforts.
    > Alas, although it's mounted, it's read only and even as root, I can't
    > change that. Fstab reads:
    >
    > /dev/hda1 /C vfat defaults 0 0
    >
    > I've tried to remount it with a specific option of rw, I've tried (as
    > root) to chmod the directory but nothing. Suggestions?

    what does /proc/mounts say?

    is the drive set r/o via a hardware jumper?

    --
    There are no interpersonal problems that cannot be solved with a
    suitable application of the laws of chemistry.

    -anything after the next line is ANNOYING CRAP that newsfeeds adds-
    -directly contact newsfeeds and ISPs that piggy back them to complain-

  3. Re: Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only?

    On 7 Jul 2005 19:36:38 -0500, noone@uber.usachoice.net (Wiseguy)
    wrote:

    >what does /proc/mounts say?

    Don't know, I'll check next time I'm in Linux. (Probably tomorrow.)

    >is the drive set r/o via a hardware jumper?

    Highly unlikely, as I only *have* one hard drive with several
    partitions.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    If you can't play with words, what good are they?

  4. Re: Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only?

    wrote:

    >what does /proc/mounts say?

    /dev/hda1 /C rw 0 0

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    If you can't play with words, what good are they?

  5. Re: Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only?

    Joe Zeff wrote:
    > On 7 Jul 2005 19:36:38 -0500, noone@uber.usachoice.net (Wiseguy)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>what does /proc/mounts say?

    > /dev/hda1 /C rw 0 0

    What is the output of 'ls -ld /C'

    --
    Cameron King
    MIS Developer

  6. Re: Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only?

    Joe Zeff wrote:
    > On 7 Jul 2005 19:36:38 -0500, noone@uber.usachoice.net (Wiseguy)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>what does /proc/mounts say?

    > /dev/hda1 /C rw 0 0

    Does it say '/dev/hda1 /C vfat rw 0 0' or '/dev/hda1 /C rw 0 0'?

    I assume it's a typo, I didn't even notice at first...

    --
    Cameron King
    MIS Developer

  7. Re: Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only?

    On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:42:26 GMT, Cameron King
    wrote:

    >Joe Zeff wrote:
    >> On 7 Jul 2005 19:36:38 -0500, noone@uber.usachoice.net (Wiseguy)
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>what does /proc/mounts say?

    >> /dev/hda1 /C rw 0 0
    >>

    >Does it say '/dev/hda1 /C vfat rw 0 0' or '/dev/hda1 /C rw 0 0'?
    >
    >I assume it's a typo, I didn't even notice at first...

    I'm running in Win98 right now and can't check, but I *think* the way
    I wrote it is right.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns
    If you can't play with words, what good are they?

  8. Re: Why is my Win98 drive mounted Read Only?

    On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 06:04:35 GMT, Joe Zeff
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 23:42:26 GMT, Cameron King
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Joe Zeff wrote:

    >>> /dev/hda1 /C rw 0 0
    >>>

    >>Does it say '/dev/hda1 /C vfat rw 0 0' or '/dev/hda1 /C rw 0 0'?
    >>
    >>I assume it's a typo, I didn't even notice at first...

    >I'm running in Win98 right now and can't check, but I *think* the way
    >I wrote it is right.

    Correction: I've checked and what I wrote is wrong.

    /dev/hda1 /C vfat rw 0 0