CD Burning broken again - Help

This is a discussion on CD Burning broken again - Help ; Fedora is starting to act like Windows again: Here is the latest output --- System ----------------------- K3b Version:0.11.14 KDE Version: 3.3.1-2.12.FC3 Red Hat QT Version: 3.3.4 cdrecord ----------------------- scsidev: '/dev/hdc' devname: '/dev/hdc' scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2 Error trying ...

  1. CD Burning broken again

    -----------------------
    K3b Version:0.11.14
    KDE Version: 3.3.1-2.12.FC3 Red Hat
    QT Version: 3.3.4

    cdrecord
    -----------------------
    scsidev: '/dev/hdc'
    devname: '/dev/hdc'
    scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: Device or resource busy. Cannot open '/dev/hdc'. Cannot
    open SCSI driver.
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
    /usr/bin/cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord
    dev=help'.
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg
    Schilling
    Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
    Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
    Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
    Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
    version.
    TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM

    cdrecord comand:
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/cdrecord -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/hdc speed=40 -dao -dummy
    driveropts=burnfree -eject -data -tsize=28254s -

    mkisofs
    -----------------------
    Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
    28254
    Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
    /usr/bin/mkisofs: Connection reset by peer. cannot fwrite 53248*1

    mkisofs comand:
    -----------------------
    /usr/bin/mkisofs -gui -graft-points -volid HHCC VBS -volset -appid K3B THE
    CD KREATOR VERSION 0.11.14 (C) 2003 SEBASTIAN TRUEG AND THE K3B TEAM
    -publisher Dave Mann -preparer K3b - Version 0.11.14 -sysid LINUX
    -volset-size 1 -volset-seqno 1 -sort /dev/shm/kde-dave/k3bv6txwa.tmp
    -rational-rock -hide-list /dev/shm/kde-dave/k3bIsQZca.tmp
    -untranslated-filenames -iso-level 1 -input-charset iso8859-1
    -path-list /dev/shm/kde-dave/k3bnX20zb.tmp /home/dave/.kde/share/apps/k3b/temp/dummydir0/

    ***************************************

    [dave@localhost ~]$ cdrecord -scanbus
    Cdrecord-Clone 2.01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jrg
    Schilling
    Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
    Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
    Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla
    Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this
    version.
    scsidev: 'ATA'
    devname: 'ATA'
    scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
    Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
    Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
    cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (schily -
    RedHat-scsi-linux-sg.c-1.83-RH '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.83 04/05/20
    Copyright1997 J. Schilling').
    scsibus1:
    1,0,0 100) 'Memorex ' 'DVD+/-RW True8XI' 'UWS3' Removable CD-ROM
    1,1,0 101) *
    1,2,0 102) *
    1,3,0 103) *
    1,4,0 104) *
    1,5,0 105) *
    1,6,0 106) *
    1,7,0 107) *

    *************************************
    # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
    LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
    none /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
    none /proc proc defaults 0 0
    none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
    /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat rw,user,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/sda5 /mnt/firewire vfat rw,user,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/sda6 /mnt/miscellaneous vfat rw,user,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/hdb3 /mnt/storage ext3 rw,user,auto 0 3
    /dev/sdb1 /mnt/camera vfat rw,user,auto 0 0
    /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto rw,user,auto 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto rw,user,auto 0 0

    ******************************

    /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / ext3 rw 0 0
    none /proc proc rw 0 0
    none /sys sysfs rw 0 0
    none /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
    usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs rw 0 0
    /dev/hdb1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/sda5 /mnt/firewire vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/sda6 /mnt/miscellaneous vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,umask=0222 0 0
    /dev/hdb3 /mnt/storage ext3 rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy vfat rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev 0 0
    none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
    sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0
    nfsd /proc/fs/nfsd nfsd rw 0 0

    This is so tiresome. Especially today when I had to burn 25 CD's for a
    church project and couldn't do it. I had to drop out of Linux and bring up
    Windows XP and retrieve the folder with the pictures from my Firewire
    drive. Burned them immediately, of course, with no problems, (again, of
    course).

    Anyone have an answer this time?

    TIA

    Dave

  2. Re: CD Burning broken again

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:56:25 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These Runes!:

    > Fedora is starting to act like Windows again:

    I dumped Red Hat etc. years ago for that very reason :-)

    > Here is the latest output ---
    > Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.

    Looks to me as if your drive (hdc) is mounted. Shouldn't be.

    > /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto rw,user,auto 0 0

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is why. Change this to noauto,owner,rw. Umount and restart k3b.

    There's a long established watering contest between Joerg Schilling, linux
    in general, and in particular distros that modify his code. Red Hat fits
    both catagories.

    Thorn
    --
    New Year's Eve is the time of year when a man most feels his age, and
    his wife most often reminds him to act it.

  3. Re: CD Burning broken again

    Thorn wrote:

    > On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:56:25 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These
    > Runes!:
    >>
    >> Fedora is starting to act like Windows again:

    > I dumped Red Hat etc. years ago for that very reason :-)
    >
    >> Here is the latest output ---
    >> Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.

    > Looks to me as if your drive (hdc) is mounted. Shouldn't be.
    >
    >> /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto rw,user,auto 0 0

    > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    > This is why. Change this to noauto,owner,rw. Umount and restart k3b.
    >
    > There's a long established watering contest between Joerg Schilling, linux
    > in general, and in particular distros that modify his code. Red Hat fits
    > both catagories.
    >
    > Thorn

    OK, I'll try that. Here is an interesting response which I received from
    the k3b Maintainer, Sabstian Trueg:

    "the device is simply blocked. most likely by an automounter.
    This is a common problem for which there is no solution in sight."

    Well, now, is THAT so very special.

  4. Re: CD Burning broken again

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 07:22:42 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These Runes!:
    > Thorn wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:56:25 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These
    >> Runes!:
    >>>
    >>> Fedora is starting to act like Windows again:

    >> I dumped Red Hat etc. years ago for that very reason :-)
    >>
    >>> Here is the latest output ---
    >>> Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.

    >> Looks to me as if your drive (hdc) is mounted. Shouldn't be.
    >>
    >>> /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto rw,user,auto 0 0

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >> This is why. Change this to noauto,owner,rw. Umount and restart k3b.
    >>
    >> There's a long established watering contest between Joerg Schilling, linux
    >> in general, and in particular distros that modify his code. Red Hat fits
    >> both catagories.
    >>
    >> Thorn

    > OK, I'll try that. Here is an interesting response which I received from
    > the k3b Maintainer, Sabstian Trueg:
    >
    > "the device is simply blocked. most likely by an automounter.
    > This is a common problem for which there is no solution in sight."

    I never would have thought of that since I don't use an automounter, but it
    seems valid. I'm sure you can turn the automounter off though. Probably a
    function of gnome or KDE?

    A quick google tells me that for gnome this is accessed via the gnome
    control-center, Control_center->Peripherals->CD_properties and in KDE
    remove: ~/.kde/Autostart/Autorun.desktop. YMMV of course :-)

    Thorn
    --
    Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those
    of us who do.

  5. Re: CD Burning broken again

    CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    > Thorn wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:56:25 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These
    >>Runes!:
    >>
    >>>Fedora is starting to act like Windows again:

    >>I dumped Red Hat etc. years ago for that very reason :-)
    >>

    >>>Here is the latest output ---
    >>>Error trying to open /dev/hdc exclusively ... retrying in 1 second.

    >>Looks to me as if your drive (hdc) is mounted. Shouldn't be.
    >>

    >>>/dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom auto rw,user,auto 0 0

    >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>This is why. Change this to noauto,owner,rw. Umount and restart k3b.
    >>
    >>There's a long established watering contest between Joerg Schilling, linux
    >>in general, and in particular distros that modify his code. Red Hat fits
    >>both catagories.
    >>
    >>Thorn

    > OK, I'll try that. Here is an interesting response which I received from
    > the k3b Maintainer, Sabstian Trueg:
    >
    > "the device is simply blocked. most likely by an automounter.
    > This is a common problem for which there is no solution in sight."
    >
    > Well, now, is THAT so very special.

    He told you what the problem is, and that there's no work ongoing to
    have a standard way for a program to tell the automounter to go away.
    What more do you want from him?

    If you don't like the way your automounter works, TURN IT OFF. Sabastian
    showed you the cause and you posted his response, quite probably from
    personal E-mail, with a snide remark. Not exactly an expression of
    gratitude for telling you how your system is (mis)configured.

    --
    bill davidsen
    http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com

  6. Re: CD Burning broken again

    Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > CWO4 Dave Mann wrote:
    >> Thorn wrote:
    >>

    >>>On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 15:56:25 -0500, CWO4 Dave Mann Cried: Read These
    >>>Runes!:

    >>>I dumped Red Hat etc. years ago for that very reason :-)

    >>>Looks to me as if your drive (hdc) is mounted. Shouldn't be.

    >>> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    >>>This is why. Change this to noauto,owner,rw. Umount and restart k3b.
    >>>
    >>>There's a long established watering contest between Joerg Schilling,
    >>>linux
    >>>in general, and in particular distros that modify his code. Red Hat fits
    >>>both catagories.
    >>>
    >>>Thorn

    >> OK, I'll try that. Here is an interesting response which I received from
    >> the k3b Maintainer, Sabstian Trueg:
    >>
    >> "the device is simply blocked. most likely by an automounter.
    >> This is a common problem for which there is no solution in sight."
    >>
    >> Well, now, is THAT so very special.
    >>

    > He told you what the problem is, and that there's no work ongoing to
    > have a standard way for a program to tell the automounter to go away.
    > What more do you want from him?
    >
    > If you don't like the way your automounter works, TURN IT OFF. Sabastian
    > showed you the cause and you posted his response, quite probably from
    > personal E-mail, with a snide remark. Not exactly an expression of
    > gratitude for telling you how your system is (mis)configured.

    Wow, took you awhile to reply to this post. I had forgotten about it.

    Yep, I was pretty snide -- mean and uppity as a matter of fact. In
    retrospect I see that my comments are of the type that I would NEVER say to
    a person to their face.

    I apologize for being a jerk.

    I've since sorted out the problem, not only turning off the automounter but
    do a rebuild.

    Everything is working fine now, thanks to these newsgroups, and my own
    RTFM'ing!

    Cheers,

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread