Is there a company that makes Linux drivers for their soundcards? - Help

This is a discussion on Is there a company that makes Linux drivers for their soundcards? - Help ; Hi I want to buy a soundcard to use it under Linux (preferably Debian). I want this card to support EAX (preferably EAX 4.0). In order to support Linux OS I want to buy a soundcard from a company which ...

  1. Is there a company that makes Linux drivers for their soundcards?

    Hi

    I want to buy a soundcard to use it under Linux (preferably Debian).
    I want this card to support EAX (preferably EAX 4.0).
    In order to support Linux OS I want to buy a soundcard from a company
    which makes Linux drivers for their soundcards and puts them in the package
    together with Windows drivers - it isn't ashamed of Linux drivers like for
    example
    Creative Technology. Is there such a company?

    djRob

  2. Re: Is there a company that makes Linux drivers for their soundcards?

    "djRob" scribbled on the stall wall:
    > Hi
    >
    > I want to buy a soundcard to use it under Linux (preferably Debian).
    > I want this card to support EAX (preferably EAX 4.0).
    > In order to support Linux OS I want to buy a soundcard from a company
    > which makes Linux drivers for their soundcards and puts them in the package
    > together with Windows drivers - it isn't ashamed of Linux drivers like for
    > example
    > Creative Technology. Is there such a company?

    extremely doubtful.

    --
    dual 2.8Ghz Xeon; 2GB RAM; 500GB ATA-133; nVidia powered
    Linux 2.6.10; glibc-2.3.5; vendor neutral home-brewed installation

    ----anything after this line is ANNOYING CRAP that the newsserver adds-----
    ---directly contact newsfeeds and ISPs that piggy back them to complain----

  3. Re: Is there a company that makes Linux drivers for their soundcards?

    djRob wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I want to buy a soundcard to use it under Linux (preferably Debian).
    > I want this card to support EAX (preferably EAX 4.0).
    > In order to support Linux OS I want to buy a soundcard from a company
    > which makes Linux drivers for their soundcards and puts them in the package
    > together with Windows drivers - it isn't ashamed of Linux drivers like for
    > example
    > Creative Technology. Is there such a company?
    >
    > djRob

    You are better using a soundcard that works with open source drivers.

    I don't know anything about EAX, but I do know that my onboard sound cards
    work on several machines using only open source debian.

    Avoid proprietory driver packages that are not open source, since they will
    probably be binary only, or you will not be allowed to maintain or modify
    them due to licensing restrictions.

    Leave proprietory stuff for Windows users. We don't want it on Linux !

    Regards,

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley