FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf - Help

This is a discussion on FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf - Help ; Two days ago I did an install of FC3. It installed fine and everything, including networking, was working properly. When I ran yum for the first time it uprgaded the kernel from 2.6.9-1.667 to 2.6.11-1.14. Now whenever it reboots it ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

  1. FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    Two days ago I did an install of FC3. It installed fine and everything,
    including networking, was working properly. When I ran yum for the first
    time it uprgaded the kernel from 2.6.9-1.667 to 2.6.11-1.14. Now
    whenever it reboots it leaves a blank resolv.conf, therefore can't find
    the outside world. Any ideas?

    Cheers
    David

  2. Re: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:33:40 +1000, David Bromage wrote:

    > Two days ago I did an install of FC3. It installed fine and everything,
    > including networking, was working properly. When I ran yum for the first
    > time it uprgaded the kernel from 2.6.9-1.667 to 2.6.11-1.14. Now
    > whenever it reboots it leaves a blank resolv.conf, therefore can't find
    > the outside world. Any ideas?
    >
    > Cheers
    > David


    Are you using DHCP? If you are switch to a static IP.

  3. Re: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    General Schvantzkoph wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:33:40 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >>Two days ago I did an install of FC3. It installed fine and everything,
    >>including networking, was working properly. When I ran yum for the first
    >>time it uprgaded the kernel from 2.6.9-1.667 to 2.6.11-1.14. Now
    >>whenever it reboots it leaves a blank resolv.conf, therefore can't find
    >>the outside world. Any ideas?

    >
    > Are you using DHCP? If you are switch to a static IP.


    No, definately not using DHCP. The static IP and PEERDNS=no are set in
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.

    Cheers
    David
    ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ---------------------
    For a secure high performance FTP using SSL/TLS encryption
    upgrade to SurgeFTP
    ---- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_surgeftp.htm ----

  4. Re: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:56:44 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >
    > No, definately not using DHCP. The static IP and PEERDNS=no are set in
    > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.


    add the peerdns line to
    /etc/sysconfig/network

  5. Re: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    Bit Twister wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:56:44 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >
    >>No, definately not using DHCP. The static IP and PEERDNS=no are set in
    >>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.

    >
    > add the peerdns line to
    > /etc/sysconfig/network


    Just tried that, and it's still not working. The only thing that does
    work is if I write resolv.conf manually and then restart network. I'd
    rather not have to do that after every reboot.

    Cheers
    David

  6. Re: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    On Sun, 01 May 2005 14:30:33 +1000, David Bromage wrote:

    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:56:44 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >>
    >>>No, definately not using DHCP. The static IP and PEERDNS=no are set in
    >>>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.

    >>
    >> add the peerdns line to
    >> /etc/sysconfig/network

    >
    > Just tried that, and it's still not working. The only thing that does
    > work is if I write resolv.conf manually and then restart network. I'd
    > rather not have to do that after every reboot.
    >
    > Cheers
    > David


    Make your resolv.conf and then set the imutable bit with chattr
    "chatter +i /etc/resolv.conf"
    Then nothing can change the file.
    This is what I have done.

    --
    Sure, Linux has probs but hell, the probs are FREE. With MS you pay
    dearly for a larger set of different-flavored problems!
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy


  7. Re: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    Baho Utot wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 May 2005 14:30:33 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:56:44 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>No, definately not using DHCP. The static IP and PEERDNS=no are set in
    >>>>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.
    >>>
    >>>add the peerdns line to
    >>>/etc/sysconfig/network

    >>
    >>Just tried that, and it's still not working. The only thing that does
    >>work is if I write resolv.conf manually and then restart network. I'd
    >>rather not have to do that after every reboot.

    >
    > Make your resolv.conf and then set the imutable bit with chattr
    > "chatter +i /etc/resolv.conf"
    > Then nothing can change the file.
    > This is what I have done.


    Thanks! That's fixed the problem!

    Cheers
    David
    ------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------
    Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
    groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
    -- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----

  8. Re: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    David Bromage wrote:
    > Baho Utot wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 01 May 2005 14:30:33 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:56:44 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> No, definately not using DHCP. The static IP and PEERDNS=no are set
    >>>>> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> add the peerdns line to
    >>>> /etc/sysconfig/network
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Just tried that, and it's still not working. The only thing that does
    >>> work is if I write resolv.conf manually and then restart network. I'd
    >>> rather not have to do that after every reboot.

    >>
    >>
    >> Make your resolv.conf and then set the imutable bit with chattr
    >> "chatter +i /etc/resolv.conf" Then nothing can change the file.
    >> This is what I have done.

    >
    >
    > Thanks! That's fixed the problem!


    No, it hid the symptoms... since a fair number of people don't have that
    problem, I think it's reasonable to assume that if you found the actual
    root cause you could prevent the unwanted modification from being attempted.

    I don't have FC3 here, but older vi knows about read-only but not
    attributes, so if you need to change it and forget what you did, you
    have left a surprise for yourself, and possibly a problem affecting more
    than just this.

    Take a look at the time last modified of the dhcp programs if you are
    curious, whatever you have, dhcpd, dhclient, whatever. See if they get
    called at boot time. If you're curious what's really happening...

    --
    bill davidsen
    SBC/Prodigy Yorktown Heights NY data center
    http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com

  9. Re: FC3 wiping its own resolv.conf

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:03:34 +0000, Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > David Bromage wrote:
    >> Baho Utot wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 01 May 2005 14:30:33 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Bit Twister wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:56:44 +1000, David Bromage wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> No, definately not using DHCP. The static IP and PEERDNS=no are set
    >>>>>> in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and ifcfg-eth1.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> add the peerdns line to
    >>>>> /etc/sysconfig/network
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Just tried that, and it's still not working. The only thing that does
    >>>> work is if I write resolv.conf manually and then restart network. I'd
    >>>> rather not have to do that after every reboot.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Make your resolv.conf and then set the imutable bit with chattr
    >>> "chatter +i /etc/resolv.conf" Then nothing can change the file.
    >>> This is what I have done.

    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks! That's fixed the problem!

    >
    > No, it hid the symptoms... since a fair number of people don't have that
    > problem, I think it's reasonable to assume that if you found the actual
    > root cause you could prevent the unwanted modification from being attempted.
    >
    > I don't have FC3 here, but older vi knows about read-only but not
    > attributes, so if you need to change it and forget what you did, you
    > have left a surprise for yourself, and possibly a problem affecting more
    > than just this.
    >
    > Take a look at the time last modified of the dhcp programs if you are
    > curious, whatever you have, dhcpd, dhclient, whatever. See if they get
    > called at boot time. If you're curious what's really happening...


    I've found that the zero-conf stuff (tmdns daemon) often causes an
    overwrite of the resolv.conf by adding the localhost address as the first
    entry. Killing that daemon and not allowing zero-conf stuff has worked
    well for me. FWIW.

    Bill


+ Reply to Thread