You would think I would have figured it out by now - Help

This is a discussion on You would think I would have figured it out by now - Help ; I've decided to give Linux yet another chance. THis time, now that I am retired, I can sit at the computer all day long if necessary and try to figure things out. I've been playing with all kinds of Linux ...

  1. You would think I would have figured it out by now

    I've decided to give Linux yet another chance. THis time, now that I am
    retired, I can sit at the computer all day long if necessary and try to
    figure things out.

    I've been playing with all kinds of Linux since around 1994. I still
    have some original Redhat floppies around in the garage. I have one BeOS
    Box still running; My OS/2 box went away several years ago. I've
    experiemented with SuSE, Debian, Redhat, Fedora, Mandrake, Corel
    (Yikes!) .... since first seeing Linux used when I was working with a
    guy from the Cypherpunks Organization. He had Linux with X on a laptop
    and it was awesome -- that was, what? 1992 or 93 .... he was one of
    those Rochester ... Rennsey ... college guys.

    I really really like this FC3 installation ... it is very solid so far.
    Only one total system freeze and that was when I was running the Mozilla
    newsreader at the same time as Firefox.

    My box is home brew, of course. Athlon 750 Mhz; 1GB RAM; 1x 20GB HDA1
    (Windows XP); 1x 200 GB HDB (FC3); 1x CDROM 48x No Name; 1x DVDRW No
    Name; 500watt PS.

    My favorite magazine WAS "Maximum Linux" and I will never forgive them
    for folding it. "Maximum PC" is my next favorite. I've subscribed to
    various LInux publications even when I was at the point when I said "I
    am not messing with it again".

    I ran Firefox on my Windows XP system and liked it very much. Also ran
    Opera .. I even paid for them. I believe in supporting the developers. I
    like to drop some bucks on various developers, especially if they have a
    Paypal link on their sites. Even if it is only $25, it adds up for the
    guys and gals who are doing Linux and BeOS.

    OK, on with the story!

    I loaded up Fedora Core 3 on a big 200 GB drive. Told Anaconda to
    install "everything" -- lots of experience with failed and unobtainable
    stuff the last time I tried LInux. Then I started Yum and did almost 4
    hours of downloading; did the Redhat site synchro and I am pretty sure
    my system is all up to date.

    Everything looks cool. I have the desktop "just right"

    Yes .... This .... is .... Sweet!

    Electric Light Orchestra followed by Aimee Mann (Hi Cousin Amiee!) is
    playing loud on the sound system. I am wishing that I could get to the
    Firewire drive with my over 3,500 ripped MP3's ...

    I did SU to root and did this:

    Attached devices:
    Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
    Vendor: Maxtor Model: OneTouch Rev: 0200

    Well now, that's nice! Firewire automagically recognized. Yeah!

    Next, I says OK, time to scoop out the Windows stuff on HDA1 and then
    try to set up the Firewire Drive: I Did this to make some mount points,
    etc.:

    [root@localhost dave]# su root
    [root@localhost dave]# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t ntfs
    mount: mount point /mnt/windows does not exist
    [root@localhost dave]# cd /mnt
    [root@localhost mnt]# mkdir windows
    [root@localhost mnt]# mkdir firewire
    [root@localhost mnt]# mkdir cdrom
    [root@localhost mnt]# mkdir dvd
    [root@localhost mnt]# mkdir miscellaneous
    [root@localhost mnt]# dir
    cdrom dvd firewire miscellaneous windows
    [root@localhost mnt]# su root
    [root@localhost mnt]# mount /dev/hdamount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t ntfs
    [root@localhost mnt]# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows -t nfts
    mount: fs type nfts not supported by kernel

    Well, well .... the NTFS problem is STILL not fixed.

    Ages ago here, "Sewer Monkey" over on the Linux Users forum gave this
    guidance to someone:

    uid=value, gid=value and umask=value
    Set the file permission on the filesystem. By default, the files are
    owned by root and not readable by somebody else.

    I am not too sure how to do this and what values to place into those
    "value" places.

    My "vision" is to mount the Firewire drive in /mnt/firewire; the windows
    drive in /mnt/windows; the CDRW unit in /mnt/cdrom and the DVD player in
    /mnt/dvd

    Here are some requests for help --- I have some coordination
    difficulties and medical problems which make it somewhat hard to get
    things "right the first time", so please bear with me ... eventually I
    will need to have my system talk to me with a voice but that is in the
    future.

    1. I want to set me up so that user dave (that's Moi) can see the NTFS
    drives (HDA1 and SCSI0) and access them permanently;

    2. Once I get that set I will make icons for the desktop to click on files.

    3. Find a newsreader application with Yenc capability. I d/l lots of
    binaries (no not Pr@n --- Airplanes and stuff from the
    alt.binaries.military sites; You all know probably that Agent and XNews
    running under Windows does all of the image work automatically, you just
    click on a file in the newsgroup and it d/ls and then is displayed.

    4. Find an MP3 sorting and cataloging app .... I have used a couple
    under Windows and suppose that I could continue using the one under WINE
    since it is already all organized neat and pretty.

    5. Set up WINE so that I can place an Icon in the desktop of a Windows
    app and have it execute using WINE.

    If you have any recommendations please let me know .. I really
    appreciate any advice you can give me.

    Cheers,

    Dave

  2. Re: You would think I would have figured it out by now

    Dave Mann wrote:

    > 1. I want to set me up so that user dave (that's Moi) can see the NTFS
    > drives (HDA1 and SCSI0) and access them permanently;

    If you do not want to build your own kernel and want read only access
    visit; http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ if you want read/write
    access then visit; http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

    > 2. Once I get that set I will make icons for the desktop to click on
    > files.

    Depending on your choice of Desktop it is as simple as right clicking on
    a blank sport and adding the device(icon of your choosing).

    > 3. Find a newsreader application with Yenc capability. I d/l lots of
    > binaries (no not Pr@n --- Airplanes and stuff from the
    > alt.binaries.military sites; You all know probably that Agent and
    > XNews running under Windows does all of the image work automatically,
    > you just click on a file in the newsgroup and it d/ls and then is
    > displayed.

    Pan (the newsreader) handles this quite nicely.

  3. Re: You would think I would have figured it out by now

    Dave Mann wrote:

    > 4. Find an MP3 sorting and cataloging app .... I have used a couple
    > under Windows and suppose that I could continue using the one under WINE
    > since it is already all organized neat and pretty.

    Check out "amarok".

    http://amarok.kde.org/

    Thanks,
    --
    CrayzeeWulf

  4. Re: You would think I would have figured it out by now

    Lenard wrote:
    > Dave Mann wrote:
    >

    >>1. I want to set me up so that user dave (that's Moi) can see the NTFS
    >>drives (HDA1 and SCSI0) and access them permanently;

    > If you do not want to build your own kernel and want read only access
    > visit; http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ if you want read/write
    > access then visit; http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

    OK, I got that now ... looks like I will build my own kernel with all my
    special tweeks ...

    >>2. Once I get that set I will make icons for the desktop to click on
    >>files.

    > Depending on your choice of Desktop it is as simple as right clicking on
    > a blank sport and adding the device(icon of your choosing).

    Got it and it's easy .. thanks for that ..

    >>3. Find a newsreader application with Yenc capability. I d/l lots of
    >>binaries (no not Pr@n --- Airplanes and stuff from the
    >>alt.binaries.military sites; You all know probably that Agent and
    >>XNews running under Windows does all of the image work automatically,
    >>you just click on a file in the newsgroup and it d/ls and then is
    >>displayed.

    > Pan (the newsreader) handles this quite nicely.

    I used Pan once upon a time ... but I just found out that Thunderbird
    does everything transparently, including the yEnc binaries. So I am set
    on that now ...

    Man, it is all coming together .... now if I can get rid of the
    vibration rattle from my 10 inch sub woofer ....

    I just tried ripping a track from a Champion Jack Dupree blues album and
    Juicer worked fine ... tried Helix and it is cool too.

    So far so good. Amazing how much progress Linux has made in a few
    years. We have some really dedicated folks out there!

    Cheers,

    Dave

  5. Re: You would think I would have figured it out by now

    CrayzeeWulf wrote:
    > Dave Mann wrote:
    >

    >>4. Find an MP3 sorting and cataloging app .... I have used a couple
    >>under Windows and suppose that I could continue using the one under WINE
    >>since it is already all organized neat and pretty.
    >>

    > Check out "amarok".
    >
    > http://amarok.kde.org/
    >
    > Thanks,

    I just checked it out and it looks cool ..... I've d/l it and will
    install shortly ....

    Listening to The Thompson Twins "Lies" right now ...

    Chers,

    Dave

  6. Re: You would think I would have figured it out by now

    Dave Mann wrote:
    > CrayzeeWulf wrote:
    >
    >> Dave Mann wrote:
    >>

    >>> 4. Find an MP3 sorting and cataloging app .... I have used a couple
    >>> under Windows and suppose that I could continue using the one under
    >>> WINE since it is already all organized neat and pretty.
    >>>

    >> Check out "amarok".
    >> http://amarok.kde.org/
    >>
    >> Thanks,

    > I just checked it out and it looks cool ..... I've d/l it and will
    > install shortly ....
    >
    > Listening to The Thompson Twins "Lies" right now ...
    >
    > Chers,
    >
    > Dave

    Wow Amarok is very very sweet. It does everything I need to do with my
    music. Thanks so much for the pointer.

    You know that sometimes we can search and find 10 or 20 applications but
    when it comes time to decide, two heads are better than one. I like the
    scoring of apps on the various sites. That is like the BeOS site where
    you can tell which apps are going to work and which ones need work.

    Thanks again

    Now listening to Insane Clown Posse "Tilt-a-Whirl"

    Cheers,

    Dave

+ Reply to Thread