SuSE modem problems - Help

This is a discussion on SuSE modem problems - Help ; I am tring to get my modem in my Toshiba A60 laptop working with SUSE 9.2 After some research on the net I found out the correct generic driver for my chipset is smartlink-softmodem and is part of SUSE. I ...

  1. SuSE modem problems

    I am tring to get my modem in my Toshiba A60 laptop working with SUSE 9.2
    After some research on the net I found out the correct generic driver for my
    chipset is smartlink-softmodem and is part of SUSE. I changed my Kernal from
    multiprocessor to the default as the link below needed this to work with the
    driver.
    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...nelswitch.html

    The 2nd step was to install the Driver manually for the modem to work as
    instructed by link below
    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...smartlink.html

    Still get the same problem, just as it stats to connect it disconnects
    with(error code 2)

    Any help will be appreciated... I'm pulling my hair out!!

  2. Re: SuSE modem problems

    In article , Nicholas wrote:

    >I am tring to get my modem in my Toshiba A60 laptop working with SUSE 9.2

    OK - what is the exact tool that5 you are using to try to connect?

    >Still get the same problem, just as it stats to connect it disconnects
    >with(error code 2)

    The problem is that you're not telling us what tool you are using, and
    thus where to look for the error. For example, the man page for pppd says

    2 An error was detected in processing the options
    given, such as two mutually exclusive options being
    used.

    and that would mean you need to look at the options you are passing to
    pppd.

    >Any help will be appreciated... I'm pulling my hair out!!

    http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
    http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

    Sorry, but we really need more information. Also, you would do better to
    post to a more widely distributed newsgroup. "comp.os.linux.help" was
    renamed 'comp.os.linux.misc' back in 1994, so only a few news servers
    even carry the group any more. Another alternative would be the group
    alt.os.linux.suse - which while an 'alternative' newsgroup, is much
    more widely distributed.

    Old guy

  3. Re: SuSE modem problems

    Thanks for your reply, here is what the log tells me

    SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.5 on linux
    Status is: disconnected
    trying to connect to smpppd
    connect to smpppd
    Status is: disconnected
    Status is: connecting
    Status is: disconnected
    pppd[0] died: pppd options error (exit code 2)

    I am using the KDE interface, internet and dial up. I believe this is a
    problem with my modem, but am not sure. I have read that Toshiba laptops do
    have this trouble and the chipset is Agere/Lucent. After I found that SuSE
    9.2 has these drivers as well as a generic driver that I have read on the
    net is compatable, that one also comes with SuSE 9.2 (its called
    smartlink-softmodem) I choose to install these from the YaST software setup.
    Could you please advise me on how to install the Lucent Driver? the commands
    and such.

    Thanks

    "Moe Trin" wrote in message
    > In article , Nicholas wrote:
    >
    >>I am tring to get my modem in my Toshiba A60 laptop working with SUSE 9.2

    > OK - what is the exact tool that5 you are using to try to connect?
    >
    >>Still get the same problem, just as it stats to connect it disconnects
    >>with(error code 2)

    > The problem is that you're not telling us what tool you are using, and
    > thus where to look for the error. For example, the man page for pppd says
    >
    > 2 An error was detected in processing the options
    > given, such as two mutually exclusive options being
    > used.
    >
    > and that would mean you need to look at the options you are passing to
    > pppd.
    >
    >>Any help will be appreciated... I'm pulling my hair out!!

    > http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
    > http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
    >
    > Sorry, but we really need more information. Also, you would do better to
    > post to a more widely distributed newsgroup. "comp.os.linux.help" was
    > renamed 'comp.os.linux.misc' back in 1994, so only a few news servers
    > even carry the group any more. Another alternative would be the group
    > alt.os.linux.suse - which while an 'alternative' newsgroup, is much
    > more widely distributed.
    >
    > Old guy

  4. Re: SuSE modem problems

    In article , Nicholas wrote:

    >SuSE Meta pppd (smpppd-ifcfg), Version 1.5 on linux

    That's a SuSE specific "tool"

    >pppd[0] died: pppd options error (exit code 2)

    >> 2 An error was detected in processing the options
    >> given, such as two mutually exclusive options being
    >> used.
    >>
    >> and that would mean you need to look at the options you are passing to
    >> pppd.

    The man page for pppd lists nearly 170 different options. Something in your
    setup is wrong. You could be telling pppd that you want to use /dev/ttyS0
    and ALSO telling it that you want to use /dev/ttyS2 - so pppd is throwing
    up it's hands and saying "What do you really want to do?"

    >I am using the KDE interface, internet and dial up. I believe this is a
    >problem with my modem, but am not sure.

    No, pppd hasn't tried to speak to your modem yet. It found an error in the
    options you are telling it to use.

    Try posting to either 'alt.os.linux.suse' or 'comp.os.linux.networking' (but
    not both). Look carefully at the setup you are using, and write down the
    exact options you are using. You can look these up in the man page, and
    that should give you a clue which one is wrong, or conflicting. No one can
    help you without knowing what options you are trying to use. You can try
    putting the following three options either in the tool you are trying to use,
    or in the file /etc/ppp/options

    dump
    debug
    logfile /tmp/ppp.log.4.12.2005

    which should put desired information into that file.

    Old guy

+ Reply to Thread