Help with mounting FAT32 partition - Help

This is a discussion on Help with mounting FAT32 partition - Help ; I'm having problems mounting a FAT32 partition on HDA1 to have RW access by user accounts within Fedora Core 3. I am absolutely certain the partition is FAT32 and not NTFS. Using fstab, I managed to mount it for read ...

  1. Help with mounting FAT32 partition

    I'm having problems mounting a FAT32 partition on HDA1 to have RW access
    by user accounts within Fedora Core 3. I am absolutely certain the
    partition is FAT32 and not NTFS. Using fstab, I managed to mount it for
    read access for users, and RW for root, but nothing I have tried has
    resulted in users having RW access. Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Help with mounting FAT32 partition

    Stephen Fraser wrote:

    > I'm having problems mounting a FAT32 partition on HDA1 to have RW
    > access
    > by user accounts within Fedora Core 3. I am absolutely certain the
    > partition is FAT32 and not NTFS. Using fstab, I managed to mount it
    > for read access for users, and RW for root, but nothing I have tried
    > has
    > resulted in users having RW access. Any suggestions?

    Please read both 'man mount' and 'man fstab' for the details and other
    options, example entry below;

    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat noauto,user,sync,rw 0 0

  3. Re: Help with mounting FAT32 partition

    Stephen Fraser wrote:

    > I'm having problems mounting a FAT32 partition on HDA1 to have RW access
    > by user accounts within Fedora Core 3. I am absolutely certain the
    > partition is FAT32 and not NTFS. Using fstab, I managed to mount it for
    > read access for users, and RW for root, but nothing I have tried has
    > resulted in users having RW access. Any suggestions?

    my fstab looks like this:
    /dev/sda6 /xtra vfat users,rw,exec,gid=users,umask=002,iocharset=utf8 0 0

    with the users option i allow every user to mount it, with gid=users i tell
    the system that the owner's group id is "users", and finally with umask=002
    i give full rights to owner and group.

    i found these options in the man pages for mount after reading them over and
    over again. man pages are definitely not written so that an average user
    can understand them

    HTH
    Andreas

  4. Re: Help with mounting FAT32 partition

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 01:49:58 +0000, Stephen Fraser wrote:

    > I'm having problems mounting a FAT32 partition on HDA1 to have RW access
    > by user accounts within Fedora Core 3. I am absolutely certain the
    > partition is FAT32 and not NTFS. Using fstab, I managed to mount it for
    > read access for users, and RW for root, but nothing I have tried has
    > resulted in users having RW access. Any suggestions?

    I don't use fstab for that, to avoid attracting hackers to my windows
    drive. I use the following script, placed in /usr/local/bin, so I can call
    up the drive whenever I want, after creating the /c directory in /:

    mount -t vfat -o uid=username /dev/hda1 /c

    Luck

    Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/
    Slackware 10.0 Kernel 2.4.28 i686 (GCC) 3.2.3

+ Reply to Thread