Debian linux NFS mounts - Help

This is a discussion on Debian linux NFS mounts - Help ; I'm a relatively new user to Linux (tho I am an OS X user). I'm currently running Debain Linux (Sarge) and I'm trying to mount my companies NFS space. I have the same user id and group id as what ...

  1. Debian linux NFS mounts

    I'm a relatively new user to Linux (tho I am an OS X user).
    I'm currently running Debain Linux (Sarge) and I'm trying to mount my
    companies NFS space. I have the same user id and group id as what the
    server is expecting; that is my uid and gid match in the /etc/passwd file.

    I can mount the nfs space, but only as read only access. In some cases
    I can't navigate the directory structure

    Are there any other tips/tricks I can try?

    I've tried exactly the same scenario with OS X without a hitch....

    Thanks.

    -Bryan

  2. Re: Debian linux NFS mounts

    Bryan E. Boone wrote:
    > I'm currently running Debain Linux (Sarge) and I'm trying to mount my
    > companies NFS space. I have the same user id and group id as what the
    > server is expecting; that is my uid and gid match in the /etc/passwd file.
    >
    > I can mount the nfs space, but only as read only access. In some cases
    > I can't navigate the directory structure

    what does `mount' says after mounting the file system?

    anything suspicious in the `dmesg' output?
    or in /var/log/messages?

    > I've tried exactly the same scenario with OS X without a hitch....

    does the NFS server maybe treat the Linux machine different than your
    MAC machine?
    have a look at /etc/exports on the server

    --
    reply to usenet only - email account disabled

  3. Re: Debian linux NFS mounts

    mgrd wrote:
    > Bryan E. Boone wrote:
    >
    >> I'm currently running Debain Linux (Sarge) and I'm trying to mount my
    >> companies NFS space. I have the same user id and group id as what the
    >> server is expecting; that is my uid and gid match in the /etc/passwd
    >> file.
    >>
    >> I can mount the nfs space, but only as read only access. In some
    >> cases I can't navigate the directory structure

    > what does `mount' says after mounting the file system?
    >
    > anything suspicious in the `dmesg' output?
    > or in /var/log/messages?
    >
    >> I've tried exactly the same scenario with OS X without a hitch....

    > does the NFS server maybe treat the Linux machine different than your
    > MAC machine?
    > have a look at /etc/exports on the server

    Thanks for the tips....
    mount doesn't say anything.
    I'll look at var/log/messages

    I don't think that the nfs server treats Linux any differently, but I'll
    check. They are primarily a Windows house, using NFS/Exceed to use
    various NetAppliances. They are however more geared to Red Hat than
    Debian. I guess I'm pushing the envelop with OS X and Debian...
    Putting the R back into R&D

    Thanks.
    -Bryan

  4. Re: Debian linux NFS mounts

    Bryan E. Boone wrote:
    > mgrd wrote:
    >
    >> Bryan E. Boone wrote:
    >> [..]
    >>> I can mount the nfs space, but only as read only access. In some
    >>> cases I can't navigate the directory structure

    >> [..]
    >> does the NFS server maybe treat the Linux machine different than your
    >> MAC machine?
    >> have a look at /etc/exports on the server
    >>

    > [..]
    > I don't think that the nfs server treats Linux any differently, but I'll
    > check. They are primarily a Windows house, using NFS/Exceed to use
    > various NetAppliances. They are however more geared to Red Hat than
    > Debian. I guess I'm pushing the envelop with OS X and Debian... Putting
    > the R back into R&D

    I don't meant treating OSs different but single hosts and/or networks.

    E.g. these /etc/exports entries:
    /srv/nfs *(anonuid=0,anongid=0,root_squash,sync,rw,insecure )
    exports to the world

    /srv/nfs *.somedomain.tld(anonuid=0,anongid=0,root_squash,s ync,rw,insecure)
    exports to all machines are members in somedomain.tld

    /srv/nfs host.somedomain.tld(anonuid=0,anongid=0,root_squas h,sync,rw,insecure)
    exports to a single host

    And *maybe* your linux machine is in a different domain, etc.
    When inspecting /etc/exports have a look at the options "rw" etc.

    Good luck!
    --
    reply to usenet only

  5. Re: Debian linux NFS mounts

    mgrd wrote:
    > Bryan E. Boone wrote:
    >
    >> mgrd wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bryan E. Boone wrote:
    >>> [..]

    >>> [..]
    >>> does the NFS server maybe treat the Linux machine different than your
    >>> MAC machine?
    >>> have a look at /etc/exports on the server
    >>>

    >> [..]
    >> I don't think that the nfs server treats Linux any differently, but
    >> I'll check. They are primarily a Windows house, using NFS/Exceed to
    >> use various NetAppliances. They are however more geared to Red Hat
    >> than Debian. I guess I'm pushing the envelop with OS X and Debian...
    >> Putting the R back into R&D

    > I don't meant treating OSs different but single hosts and/or networks.
    >
    > E.g. these /etc/exports entries:
    > /srv/nfs *(anonuid=0,anongid=0,root_squash,sync,rw,insecure )
    > exports to the world
    >
    > /srv/nfs *.somedomain.tld(anonuid=0,anongid=0,root_squash,s ync,rw,insecure)
    > exports to all machines are members in somedomain.tld
    >
    > /srv/nfs
    > host.somedomain.tld(anonuid=0,anongid=0,root_squas h,sync,rw,insecure)
    > exports to a single host
    >
    > And *maybe* your linux machine is in a different domain, etc.
    > When inspecting /etc/exports have a look at the options "rw" etc.
    >

    > Good luck!

    Thanks....
    -Bryan (who's no where near giving up)

+ Reply to Thread